Obligatory intro post

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by lordGoldemort, May 26, 2016.

1. lordGoldemort

lordGoldemort New Member

Greetings

I used to be a professional game developer, worked with (in chronological order) Argonaut, Sega, Sony and Microsoft as well as being a part of a contractor team. Had 4 major software releases, including 1 PS1 title and a PS2 chart-topper. I also worked for 6 years writing machinima software, but then drifted away from games as (basically) I couldn't afford a house on a game dev salary and being made redundant every few years. Now my kids are old enough to appreciate games, I've got a PS4 and we've been playing Final Fantasy X/X-2 which has inspired me to start game coding again, in my "spare time". I've grabbed Unreal 4 and am straining to get my head around its oddities, but enjoying it! My kids are helping me design the game which is really cool, though not all their ideas are workable :) I've come here to chuck ideas around because this is the first "RPG" I've worked on (it's not a classic one as there are no orcs and goblins, but the magic is there, sort of repackaged) and hey, it's not trivial! Good times...

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Greetings to you! You've got a nice background. Looking forward to what you'll come up with.

lordGoldemort likes this.
  3. MESRecords

MESRecords New Member

An RPG in Unreal 4 as your first project? Good luck. :D

4. lordGoldemort

lordGoldemort New Member

Uh-oh, that sounds like the voice of bitter experience! Is there something I should know? :)

(I mean, apart from the obvious fact that Unreal has a weird architecture and takes forever to compile stuff)

5. MESRecords

MESRecords New Member

You should know that Unreal in itself is probably the most complex 'free' game engine you could be using to get into game dev right now. Since you're already familiar with programming it might be not that big of a deal, but you should be prepared to put in a lot of time and effort to get this going.

lordGoldemort likes this.
  6. lordGoldemort

lordGoldemort New Member

Yeah, it is taking time to get into. Plus: I have had to buy a dedicated PC to run it (4.2GHz 6-core AMD Athlon with 8GB DDR3 and a nVidia GTX 250ti video card) as it utterly crawled on my laptop. Out of interest, do you think there was a better choice?

7. MESRecords

MESRecords New Member

It's hard to say. I'd always recommend something like this:

Simple 2D games: GameMaker
    Complex 2D games and simple 3D games: Unity
    Complex 3D games: Unreal

Thing is that 'complex' for me really means games that are made by 10+ people in 2+ years. For the best graphics you want to be using Unreal, no question. For ease of use and if you're alone you might want to use Unity.
    I always see Unreal as this 'more serious' dev tool that's made to be used for higher budget games while Unity is better for smaller teams who don't care about high-end graphics.

In the end both engines will do the job. But I think that you'll need more time to get something going with Unreal than you'll need with Unity. Maybe just download it and take a look for yourself, as it's free. :)

8. GameDevil

GameDevil New Member

It may be worth noting that Blueprints in Unreal actually bog the game down a bit. It's not an issue for a game that isn't on the higher end graphically, but a game like Final Fantasy? I recommend writing directly in C++ in Unreal rather than using nodes.

9. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

10. lordGoldemort

lordGoldemort New Member

Hey, how you doin'?

11. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Pretty cool and you?

12. xukasq

xukasq New Member

've got a PS4 and we've been playing Final Fantasy X/X-2

13. DukeofRealms