Oberon and royalty...

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by miguelandrade, Nov 14, 2010.

1. miguelandrade

miguelandrade New Member

Hello

Our game ranked as TOP 1 best seller for one week at one french portal partner of Oberon, and we received 100 dollars as mensal royalty...

What do you think about this?

For the next game I'm looking to distribute it at bigfish...

Greetings

2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It's hard to know really unless you have some idea what the download numbers for the French portal is. It might only require a handful of downloads to get to number 1.

3. rockford

rockford New Member

Gasp!
    To give my experience (with Geisha The Secret Garden), I got 10000x more sells on BFG (FR only) than on Boonty (FR+EN)!
    iWin is doing well (but still x10 less than BFG).
    The game is going to be published by Shockwave, eGamers and Braintonik, I'll compare the sells and let you know...
    You definitely need to target BFG.

4. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

What Oberon pay is a pittance compared to other channels. Sure they distribute to a lot of places (and they're the only way into some sales channels), but compared to, say, BFG, you need many many more sales to make up the deficit as once the sales channel has paid Oberon, and Oberon have taken their cut and given you a % of what's left, you're talking cents rather than dollars.

5. miguelandrade

miguelandrade New Member

thanks guy's

I will keep with Bigfish for a while!

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah, my early crappier games got to no.1 on Boonty and made peanuts. No.1 on Big Fish is where it's at if you want $$$.

7. Merkredy

Merkredy New Member

My game(Amazing Pyramids) at this time got x6 times bigger royalty ammount on BFG than on Oberon. Think this difference will be bigger in future :)
    Btw, Oberon is undoubtedly nice place for game distribution! No one demand for exclusive distribution on their portal.

Did anyone can share Real's efficiency?
    Failed to distribute Amazing Pyramids there (( . Hope, they will be more favourable for my next game.

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@Merkredy: Thanks for the info. There was a point in time when Oberon make just as much as BFG, at least in my experience. Unfortunately I never got a game on Real/GameHouse so I can't offer a comparison.

9. amaranth

Original Member

10. jcottier

jcottier New Member

What about royalties % and being friendly partner with devs. Isn't that not more important that simply just NOT asking for an exclusive deal? Anyway, you can't ask for exclusive deal when you are only prepared to pay dev peanuts :)

JC

11. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Interesting news about Oberon. I hope they turn things around as I still get no replies even though my games have made them large $$$ over the years.

I heard on the grapevine that a No.1 game on Gamehouse won't even make 1/10th the sales of a BFG game in the top 3. Pretty interesting. I bet it didn't used to be like that 5 years ago when Real Arcade was popular.

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes no surprise honestly. Though you should also take in consideration how hard is to reach top10 on BFG vs top10 on Gamehouse maybe?

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

very true. There's a lot of good quality competition.

14. Merkredy

Merkredy New Member

Well... if we look at newbie developers - they do not really looking for friendly distributors, they just trying to distribute at all possible places to get some profit and move forward with game developing.

I do not know... Maybe Oberon is more friendly with older well-known developers?