not cashed-in cheque

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by jankoM, Jul 14, 2007.

1. jankoM

Indie Author

Hey...

I have one question. I got a $200 cheque from a company for selling games and I didn't cash it in 100 days that I should so it is now invalid. We don't use cheques in our country otherwise so I have no idea what the protocol is like...

Is it reasonable to write to the company that sent me and ask them if they could send me another cheque or should I just forget about the money now?

thanks in advance.
    Janko

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

They should be able to reissue it, but they might charge you.

That said, I've cashed a business cheque more than a year after it was issued, without any problems.

Why did you get them to pay you by cheque if you have no means of collecting the payment?

3. jankoM

Indie Author

I can cash-in these cheques without a problem... I just didn't cash in this cheque soon enough because I didn't know cheques have a time limit.

Aha... I will write to the issuer to reissue me the cheque then... yes they will probably cut the amount by additional expenses again but that is no problem (as it's all my fault anyway).

Otherwise here we don't use cheques any more (at least since I have my own money I haven't seen anything that looks like a cheque... I remember my parents using them when I was a kid) so I don't know how things go (or expire, or get reissued :) )..

thanks Gfk
    Janko

4. Pyabo

Original Member

How do businesses pay each other in Slovenia?

5. Karja

Original Member

Maybe the same as here (Sweden) - money transfers between banks and such things. Cheques are extremely uncommon here, and anyone who receives a cheque from abroad curses his bad luck since it involves having to visit a bank manually, waiting for weeks to get the cheque cleared, and an incredibly large fee for the bank.

Not that I've ever cashed in a cheque, myself, so I can't say for sure what's involved. Never seen one in my life...

6. Sune

Indie Author

Yeah, cheques are a pain here too (Denmark). It's only old people and Americans that use them.

7. jankoM

Indie Author

@Pyabo ... b2b transactions are mosty done with online banking, some banks also have phone and gsm options or you can go to the bank and they transfer funds from your account to anothers company account ... I don't know the english word for this , maybe it's called wire transfer.

--

Yes for cashing in these cheques I have to visit a bank "manually" ... but I don't really mind doing that ;)

If I recieve cheques from abroad as a person I get the money right away and bank provision is just around 4EUR which is a lot less than I expected. If I recieve them as a company I have to fill some form and wait a while.

//but I am very gratefull that cheques exist. Without them I don't even know how I would recieve money because things like paypal still don't allow recieving in Slovenia.

8. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

In Canada cheques are also rarely used. Most business prefer debit cards (like a Visa but the money is withdrawn directly from a bank account) because they receive their money immediately (like a bank transfer) and there's no risk. Some businesses no longer accept cheques because they fear fraud. People tend to give eachother cheques rather than cash. My wife is a private teacher, she is paid by cheque or cash.

In terms of processing, I can take them to a bank machine to deposit them. Being in North America I receive the funds immediately and there are no fees. I understand there are more barriers in Europe. It's not possible to deposit the cheque into a bank machine? You have to enter the bank in person?

When travelling overseas to Europe I buy travellers cheques because they are safe (it requires two signatures, I can cancel them if they're lost), trackable (they have serial numbers) and refundable. And I can cash them at some hotels and all banks for Euros.

In terms of expiry. Cheques are valid for one year. After that I'm not sure what the process is. I've never held ontoa cheque that long.

9. ChrisP

Indie Author

Bank machines that accept cheques? As in the pieces of paper that you write on, with a pen, in order to give people money? Either that's some seriously good handwriting + signature recognition, or it's just an excuse to avoid face-to-face contact of the human depositing the cheque and the human who processes it, or I'm missing something... :confused:

I live in Australia and I've always had to visit the bank in person and talk to a human being to cash a cheque. Not that I've done that much, since we hardly use them! I think the last cheque I cashed was a prize that I'd won, about two years ago.

10. tau

tau New Member

Checks are not used that much in Europe, indeed. I used to pay with a simple bank transaction through an ATM machine on a street. :) Now I have to write checks to pay for my cable and other means... :(

I think it's much better then the checks in the USA. Checks could be lost, they take 5-7 days to clear, they can be bounced, etc. Besides, ATM transfer could save paper and trees :)

It's so funny how the most "advanced" country (USA) is not exploring the simple technologies :)

jankoM, just try to cash the check, if it refused, ask the company to reissue it. If they are nice, they wont charge you anything. Checks can be lost, and should be reissued.

BTW, in USA checks are usually valid for 180 days.

11. Spore Man

Indie Author

Nikos: I'm Canadian. I receive all royalty and commission payments by cheque. I like having a paper record of payments received and also not linking any bank accounts. I also make most business payments (to contractors, etc) by cheque. Again, I like the paper record (and I don't know how else I could pay contractors? Wire transfers are expensive.)

I also pay for plumbers, electricians and those types of services by cheque, and for my kid's school fees and things like that. I don't know why you claim people here no longer use cheques. The only place this statement holds true is when making store purchases.

12. Sectarian

Sectarian New Member

Pay bills direct online banking is how I/We do and keep records of payment and recieveables a well this
    way no messy paper trail to contend with.

13. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

Spore Man, you're right. I was talking moreso about retail stores. It's common to pay the plumber or electrician by cheque. But, that doesn't mean you have to pay by cheque. Many contractors can still process credit cards manually. It comes down to personal preference.

In terms of depositing cheques, they're not processed by machine. The bank machines assume the person depositing the cheque did it correctly. All cheques are forwarded to a sorting room where people review the cheques for accuracy. The people verify the amount on the cheque matches the bank records.