NOMBZ: Night of a Million Billion Zombies!!!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TheBren, Dec 17, 2007.

1. TheBren

Original Member

Hello fellow indies!

PowerUp Studios is very happy to announce the release of NOMBZ: Night of a Million Billion Zombies!

NOMBZ is a 3D action shooter that challenges the player to lead a posse of survivors through a zombie infested city!

Fight! Survive! Escape!

• 5 playable characters, each with unique weapons and abilities!
    • 25 levels!
    • Hundreds of zombie enemies, all hungry for your delicious human brains!
    • A quirky and irreverent style!
    • Music soundtrack featuring original and licensed tracks, including “Shoot The Zombies” by Songs To Wear Pants To!
    • 3D game engine that uses PS/VS 2.0 shaders on high-end PCs, and falls back to fixed function rendering on low-end PCs!
    • For Windows PCs with DirectX!

[URL="http://www.nombz.com/media/nombz_1.jpg][​IMG][/URL]
    [URL="http://www.nombz.com/media/nombz_2.jpg][​IMG][/URL]
    [URL="http://www.nombz.com/media/nombz_4.jpg][​IMG][/URL]
    [URL="http://www.nombz.com/media/nombz_6.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

Check out http://www.nombz.com for the demo, info, and media!

Hope you enjoy the zombie apocalypse!

#1 TheBren, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  2. DangerCode

Original Member

Hmmm ... Night of a Million Billion Zombies ...

I wish I could think up a fun title like that for my game. :)

3. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

I like the title.
    I like the screenshot style.

But I can tell after playing game, if I like it or not.

4. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Ooooooh, excellent! Looking forward to seeing this in action :)

When will I get my hands on this? :D

5. AlexN

Original Member

Looks very interesting! :p

6. jcottier

jcottier New Member

where is the light switch?

A lot of people will be pull off by the fact we cannot see a thing.

JC

7. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yep, those screenshots are way too dark. I can't see anything in the last one.

8. TheBren

Original Member

DELETED

Pretty much obsolete. Please see first post for updated release info!

#8 TheBren, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  9. bignobody

Indie Author

Quite the opposite - announcements without screenshots are usually deleted.

This looks right up my alley. I love the zombie genre, and the "Krill" joke made me laugh out loud.

My only complaint at the moment (based only on the screens) is that all the zombies look alike. Maybe that's not the case in game, but I like a little variety in my zombies :D

Will give it a go tonight when I get home from my day job...

10. dadio

Original Member

*lurk off*
    Strong artistic, well executed cartoony style in both the 2D and 3D; check.
    Fantastic, automatic smile inducing title (love it!); check.

Real curious about; music, sound effects (voices?), 4 player?.. and of course.. gameplay!

Real sad about; most likely not being able to try the demo (CeleronM at 1Ghz, 256RAM, XP, onboard graphics thing.. any chance of it even starting up?)

Hoping for; a video of the ingame action to see more clearly how it plays.

Best of luck with this, I hope it does well for you! Great to see this kinda thing being made by indies!
    *lurk on*

11. TheBren

Original Member

Thanks for the de-lurk. :)

2 original music tracks, plus one licensed. SFX is all from libraries. No voices really.

Hm, it's not really "4 player". Just 1 player, but you can get up to 5 characters in your posse, and switch between them. They all have different weapons and abilities.

Hm, yeah, that's pretty low end. I'd be curious to hear about your experience. My guess is, assuming you have DirectX 9.0c (or better) installed, it will run. (We have done some testing on lap tops.) But I wouldn't expect it to run particularly well. ;-P

You bet! We'll be putting one up on the web site real-soon-now.

Thanks a lot.

12. Sybixsus

Original Member

I really liked the look of this, and it's exactly the type of Indie Games I like to see people making. My experience was pretty disappointing, but hopefully this information is of some use to you.

* The animation of the main character is very poor. His entire upper body is rock solid while he sprints down the street. I know he's carrying guns, so he might not madly swing his arms around but keeping them rock solid looks completely unnatural. The zombie animations are fine.

* No challenge. Once I got the hang of the controls, I never took a hit. The inherent speed advantage over the zombies enabled me to keep away from them even when I was being chased by a horde of about 20. When things got really hectic, I thought I'd be there forever, because they kept on spawning ( well coming back to life, which I didn't really like but that's another point ) but I was still dancing in circles around them. It felt like neither of us was going to lose, but neither of us could win.

* No variety. I played through to the end of the demo ( third level, I guess? ) but nothing really changed. Right at the end of the last level, I found another character with a shotgun ( which actually seemed to be exactly the same as the pistol except that it fired five bullets at a time ) and the new spread-fire weapon was kinda handy, but that's about it. No new enemies. No gadgets, no powerups, no mini-missions ( eg: GTA-style shoot twenty zombies in 60 seconds challenges ) and the levels were just the same little bit of street and a few parked cars over and over. I desperately wanted a change of scenery, and something new to do.

* No interaction. I was expecting to be able to blow up cars and fire hydrants , but I never managed to get them to do anything. Come to think of it, I think all my bullets went straight through everything. Cars, hydrants, everything, was ignored for bullet collisions. In fact, I was expecting a lot of cool little interactions because.. well, because zombie games are just screaming for it, really, aren't they? With something that's mindless and (un)dead, there are just so many ways we could kill them. You've gone for a humorous style, so I was expecting 1001 intersting, funny and cool ways to kill a zombie, but I really only found two.

* No Enemy AI. I know, they're zombies. I know, they're mindless. But if I'm going to be much faster than them ( and considering how many there are, I probably do need to be much faster ) then they need to do something other than just mindlessly walk towards me.

* Crash Hot Player AI. My AI-controlled teammate never seemed to miss. Once I had him at my side, things just got even easier still.

* Little camera bug. The camera went funny when I was walking along the sidewalk, pressed up against the buildings. It kept flicking to an odd perspective and then back to normal again. As though occasionally it was flipping up to a birds eye view for a split second before returning to normal.

Now that's a lot of negatives, I know, but despite myself, I actually kind of enjoyed the game. It's certainly got the basis of a good game, but it needs an awful lot more gameplay content than it has right now. Or at least, if there is a lot more, it needs to show more glimpses of it in the demo. I obviously can't tell if this is all there is or if you're just holding too much of the cool stuff back. I appreciate you have to hold some cool stuff back for the full version, but at the same time, you have to give me something or it'll never occur to me that there is anything cool being held back.

The graphics are mostly decent. I don't think it is too dark when you're actually playing it, you're right about that. The style is exactly as it should be for this type of game. All the 2D comic book stuff before and inbetween levels is lovely, it sets the scene just as I would hope.

As it is, it was a very fun game for about ten minutes. At this point, "I think I've seen all there is" crept in and my interest waned quickly. I actually desperately didn't want to play the third level because it was just street after street after street of the same, but I didn't want to comment until I'd seen as much of the demo as possible.

I hope it doesn't come off as too negative, because I wouldn't have bothered commenting at all if I didn't want to like it and hope that you could make it better. Feel free to check my post history, I hardly ever comment on games because 99% of them don't interest me. So I guess it is kind of ironic that when I do, it's full of negatives. But it's not because I'm being mean, it's because I think you *could* have a great game here.

13. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

Tried demo, until start of level 5.

- Too dark.

Level 1 was okay, but after that, too dark to see the Zombies. Can't see, can't defend, can't attack properly.

- Can't reload the gun, when I want.

I can only reload the gun, when it's out of ammo, automatically. I'd rather reload custom, when I have free time. Very annoying.

- Weapon is too weak.

Gun or Crowbar. Both are NOT powerful, NOR effective. Even 1st. zombie needs 2 shot to die. Maybe you could have some UPGRADEd weapon at later stage, but I can't see that hint until start of level 5.

- Action is not interesting.

I'm not sure what I'm doing, because I can't feel Gunshot even when I do it. Same for Crowbar.

- Camera Work is very bad.

Camera is moving automatically, right? Well. They are not moving properly. Camera might help player to enjoy, but not for this game. Annoying & Dizzy.

14. ecruz

Original Member

Pretty good game, the camera is the only part that i really hate,
    especially when the clipping happens.

also you should have Uninstaller

15. Game Producer

Downloading game - will comment in a second! :)

16. Game Producer

Tested!

I liked the character look (and his animations were fine at least for me :)). Zombies were nice. Would perhaps have wanted more special items, and perhaps the guy is simply too fast for zombies :)

Looking good.

17. ~LK~

~LK~ New Member

So far I've attempted to play it twice, both times it has crashed. The first time, Started getting GUI graphical issues after trying to click on the adjust setting button. Then upon the game beginning to load, it crashed. The second time I just clicked start and it crashed. Ill try afew more times to see.

My Computer:

Pentium D dual core
    2.5 gigs of ram
    7900 GTX

edit:

When I tried to remove the program, it crashed my computer. After I did get it removed, I downloaded the with dx version and everything went smooth.

I thought the game itself looked very nice. The overall look and feel of the game I enjoyed. All levels after the first one had areas that were to dark. The not being allowed to reload yourself was annoying. Most zombies took two shots.. maybe have more than one type so some would take one.. others two.. maybe even others three shots.. dunno.. something to mix it up some. Also, I was able to effectively run past all the zombies allowing them to gather into a large "hurd". Because my player was so much faster then them, I could then just run around in circles killing them with ease. Maybe some could be faster then others?

Overall nice work! When your done, I'm sure this will be a very fun game.

#17 ~LK~, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  18. TheBren

Original Member

Thank you all very much for your invaluable feedback!

I am saving all your comments and we will definitely review them all, and address as many as possible.

19. GameGlyph

Original Member

I agree with the fact that once you get the hang of it, things just seem a bit too easy. Also, my firewall alerted me of the app trying to access the internet upon startup, but Im not seeing any online features. This might scare some people if thats the first thing they see when they start the game.

20. TheBren

Original Member

Yes, we use LLMozLib and Flash in the front end, so it may check for flash. I agree that could be a problem...