Nintendo Revolution controller revealed. You have to see it to believe it.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Hiro_Antagonist, Sep 16, 2005.

1. soniCron

Indie Author

2. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I hope the game comes with a wig.

3. Sharpfish

Original Member

Wii - the real revolution name revealed.. urgh!

Yes. I'm as dumbfounded as anyone. It appears to be completely real. Nintendo are going to call their new console "Wii" (pronounced - "wee"). The internet is already filling up with bad pun upon bad pun. Leaving themselves open for attack is bad. thankfully they look to have the best/most interest tech and games for the coming gen so the name really doesn't matter to me. I certainly won't be asking for games on that format by name ;)

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Lovely stuff ;) *ahem*

"Introducing ... Wii. As in "we." While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?"

"Wii sounds like 'we,' which emphasizes this console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

"Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd."

"So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

Wow... I'm personally suprised that this name never got leaked ;)
    "wii" will rock you but did "wii" really need this name?

check out the marketing flash at nintendo: http://revolution.nintendo.com/

#243 Sharpfish, Apr 27, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  4. Matthew

Indie Author

Wiidiculous.

5. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

Playing with my wii wii is already my hobby.

6. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

If the significance of "Wii" was so blatantly obvious, why take 150 words to explain it?

I think more people will be saying "What??" than "Wii"

7. Sharpfish

Original Member

Yep. When I first read it I couldn't work out how to pronounce it. I though of "why" at first (as in wi-fi). Someone's been smoking Pikmin dung over at N house. :)

8. Greg Squire

Original Member

I was actually excited about the Revolution (until now). Wii? What? :eek: IMHO, they should have kept is as "Revolution", it's a much better name for their Wii little console. Excuse me, I need to go Wii Wii now. ;)

9. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

More clear thinking expressed here:

Yes, I am sure everyone will remember how to spell it and pronunciation will be universally understood.

Hahahahahaha - such obvious symbolism, I am surprised that didn't come to mind first time around!

Spot on here:

Another perspective:

\

Full article - http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148462.html

I think it was the products that failed there, not the name.

Revolution was such a clear statement of the what the entire system was, seems like such a waste to miss out on a brilliant and timely concept in favor of....ugh!

10. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yikes, so join the club. Just refuse to call it by it's real name. Rev 4 evah.

11. Ratboy

Original Member

When they do their next handheld, they can call it the Wee Wii.

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

The world collectively cringes. Nintendo, you eeediots!

13. soniCron

Indie Author

*bump*

So, what are thoughts a year-and-a-half later?

(Besides, "nya, nya, luggage, I told you it would be teh awesomez!") ;)

14. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Disappointed by the lack of quality games, controller has some promise but so far it only has the dust blown off it when there's people round who are either a) have never had a go or b) drunk.

C+, can do better.

15. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I think the WiiMote works well in most circumstances except when you are trying to make any gesture that involves pulling away from the TV, or pushing into ("stabbing") the TV ... I suppose that probably has more to do with the code receiving the input rather the actually WiiMote though

16. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

I've been losing interest in all games that aren't Wii games. Honestly.

I'm intrigued by the amount of Wii envy among long-term gamers who seem to feel desperately threatened by how well the console sells and how well it has been received in the media.

Miyamoto said in his GDC keynote that he makes games to try and make people smile. He suggested that other developers could make any kind of game for any kind of reaction that they wanted, but that was his goal. I'm ever more a Miyamoto fanboy...seriously...make me smile.

...and the Wii makes me smile.

I've played only a handful of Wii games since I got mine 10 months ago. I own 5 (Wii Sports, Zelda, ExciteTruck, Metroid, Brain Academy) and I rented and borrowed 7 others. I'm probably not 'hardcore' any more, but we play Wii a lot at my house (including lots of quick plays of VC stuff). Mario Party 8 got 12 hours of play in the first 4 days at my house (the game really surprised me...I rented it the same weekend I got Metroid, I've honestly questioned if I should have reversed what I bought and what I rented).

Mario Party 8 goes a long ways towards what I love about the Wii. My 2 year old and my wife both wanted to play. The games are fun and easy to grasp. (and a lot has been done with the 'board' game style to vastly improve it over Mario Party 4, 5 & 6 in my opinion) Mario Party is a natural extension to Wii Sports, very accessible, quickly fun, multiplayer, just uses the Wiimote. The only time it breaks down is when you have to use the D-Pad...which is interesting point in and of itself.

Has the Wii matched its potential? I'm not even sure what that means.
    ...but it has been a lot of fun. It's changed gaming for me, and I like the change :).

#256 cyrus_zuo, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  17. Spore Man

Indie Author

I love it, but I have yet to buy a full-priced game for it yet. All rentals so far.

18. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

Resident Evil 4 is rather awesome, Alien Syndrome is rather bland and I'm completely in love with the Raving Rabbids. I have to say that the control schemes makes many games way more immersive, especially shooters. That's why I wanted RE so bad... Zombies are creepier on the Wii. Actually even the shooter portion of Raving Rabbids is full of tensions, as weird as it may seem. I also heard that Puzzle Quest (yep, match 3 strikes back) would be ported to the Wii. I think it's good news coz I didn't want to buy a DS just to play that (I'm also sad that Bioshock is a MS exclusive it would have been great on the Wii.)

I have to admit that I'm not much of a button pusher, I've been playing mostly turn based games for years (from FF1 to Worms, to Alpha Centuri) as well as DDR and Karaoke Revolution so the Wii is a good change from my PoV.

19. Spore Man

Indie Author

PS: It was just announced that in world-wide console sales, the Wii has just caught up to the 360! Wow. I thought it would stay #2.

20. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Considering that
    1. Both sony and microsoft said before all consoles were out that people would probably buy wii as their secondary console, and
    2. that wii targets a much wider audience than the typical console crowd,
    I'm not all too surprised =)