Nintendo Revolution controller revealed. You have to see it to believe it.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Hiro_Antagonist, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/15/commentary/game_over/revolution/

Wow.

It's.... something. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out, but honestly, I trust Nintendo.

What I don't understand is how we're going to play those gamecube games on that... thing. Or are we going to be forced to plug in our gamecube controllers to play gamecube games on it?

-Hiro_Antagonist

2. Bmc

Bmc New Member

very strange, it will definetly be akward playing games with that for awhile.... for me at least.

3. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Wow indeed! I just read this on Slashdot, and I was floored. I'm pretty excited to give it a whirl though... and it brings us one step closer to VR (it sounds like the perfect VR controller).

I read that you'll be able to dock it with other controller types, including traditional gamecube-style controllers.

So really, there's no downside... you can still use it as an oldschool controller, but you can also use it for freaky new things :)

4. z3lda

Original Member

Anyone been on on an airplane recently? Notice the NES game system now included with the plane ride along with free movies. The revolution controller looks almost identical to the controller/remote used on airplanes, with attachments of course :).

5. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I hope they launch with a wicked new Wario Ware game. I love those and can only imagine the types of cool mini-games it would have.

6. Sillysoft

Indie Author

7. Bmc

Bmc New Member

i think playing a sword fighting game like that would be fun albeit dangerous to your furniture

8. Sharpfish

Original Member

Well the console got me excited - but the posibilites with this new control style are amazing.. if the software guys pull of the intended eas of use of it. Wow.. a one handed controller. That truly is thinking outside the box (one hand free for tea/beer/other-"activity") while actually improving immersive game control. And no more RSI style pains from click/click/click on buttons and dpads. I hope it delivers its promise! :)

+:
    It is the standard controller (rather than a purchasable add-on novelty ala superscope/powerglove) so ALL games will have to use it, and use it well.

-:
    It is on Nintendos console, and as much as I like Nintendo (got a gamecube) I am not certain if they can attract enough devs to their console without the might of Sony and MS. So potentially it could fail where Ps3 and X360 simply won't due to investment.

Well done big N. Keep on innovating.

9. Nexic

Indie Author

I'm I the only one who is far from amazed with this controller? I thought it was going to be something truely cool, not a standarn remote control. How on earth is limiting you to one hand going to make gaming easier? I just seems like it's gonna hurt your hand....

10. lakibuk

Indie Author

I think this controller is as non-standard as it can be in commercial gaming systems. Imagine a FPS where you don't have to aim using the analog stick (which makes FPS games a pain on consoles) but aim directly at the screen, like with a lightgun.

11. Ricardo C

Original Member

While no doubt Nintendo's own games will be designed to take full advantage of the new design, I rally don't see that many third-party developers spending the money on it instead of creating more standard fare that will play (and sell) on all three systems.

I like the potential applications, but I don't think it'll set the world on fire.

ETA: On second thought...

Imagine an adventure game in which you use the directional pad to walk around, wave the controller around to move your PoV, and use the primary fire button to enter "manipulation mode", with the controller serving as your character's virtual arm, in order to grab and examine items.

Ok, I'm back to being excited about this :D

#11 Ricardo C, Sep 16, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  12. Sharpfish

Original Member

I take it you didn't miss the part about the sensors? I.E you move your arm instead of just your wrist/fingers (makes me wonder about precise movements for certain games.. but whatever). If you can truly wave it like a sword and it translates to good controls of the weapon in game (for example) then that is great and I also say it is great from a "consumer" point of view - you can see nintendo are really trying to break down the entry level to videogames without (imo) just hampering/nerfing/dumbing down control systems but by approaching them differently.

Afterall it is not as if this new controller is just a smaller version of the crappy Phillips CDiâ„¢ controller from the early 90s. That WAS just a remote control and badly designed. The Nintendo controller would have been a very bad design had it not had sensors of course.. using just your thumb and a trigger finger to move and interact = bad - add in that total "sensing" control and it should work out great. I always have hope because hope is all we have that small incremental changes will get us closer to the goal of better control and interfaces to games rather than just graphics on a screen (yes I am a VR nut and would quite happily exist purely in a computer based system as a bunch of electrons and a memorydump if it was possible) ;)

13. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Agreed 100%. its not exactly a virtual reality body suit. its a flipping TV remote. big deal.

14. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I donno... sure seems weird. Hard to imagine it catching on at this point, and the idea of 3rd party software support for games that are very hard if not impossible to port to other systems seems unikely as well. I guess I'll wait and see. Nintendo's always impressed me in the past. Perhaps there's more to this than meets the eye.

15. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm hoping there's going to be a standard controller as well. That system just won't work with certain types of games - or they will be very difficult to play. To me it just looks like a novelty controller.

16. Nauris

Original Member

Its Nintendo. What kind of 3rd party support are you talking about?

17. Nexic

Indie Author

Yes I read about the sensors, but having to pivot your entire arm/wrist to aim in an fps? Give me a break, no one could play for more than 10 minutes at a time as their arm/wrist would ache like hell.

It might be fun for a while, but it's no where near practical to be used as a standard gaming device...

18. Fry Crayola

Original Member

Never used a mouse, Nexic? The motions required for an FPS are the same as that. You just rest your hands on your lap, as you would with any controller. Analogue stick in the left hand, remote in the right, pointing at the screen and whizzing around.

1up.com have a great piece on it.

19. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I was hoping for a LCD-based controller, which could be customized from game to game by developers. Oh well...

I wonder how practical this controller is going to be for most games. It's kind of like using EyeToy for every single game. Regardless, I'm pretty excited just for the simple fact that it's different. The Xbox360/PS3 seem like the same old, same old. At least with the Nintendo Revolution there's a possibility for a distinct new gaming experience. I'm also a fan of VR devices, so I would like to see consoles start heading toward that direction.

20. Mickey Crocker

Mickey Crocker New Member

I am extremely excited about this!

Check out the video http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334p1.html

I have been so bored with console gaming lately and havn't been excited about getting (or even bothered getting) a new console since the N64 came out. I thought it was because I was getting older and just out growing it. Now I know I was wrong, Nintendo just fixed that. :D