nGENE - free 3D engine

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Riddlemaster, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

Recently I have released 0.1 version of my 3D engine completely for free. Even though many features need great improvement and much more needs yet to be implemented/optimized it looks quite okay I hope.

Here goes some pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A video from 0.1 version of the nGENE is available on YouTube. Also better quality video can be downloaded from http://www.sendspace.com/file/xtul1d.

More screenshots, tutorials, and full source code download is available on http://ngene.wikidot.com.

All suggestions and comments would be very helpful to make it really usable.

2. electronicStar

Original Member

Looks very nice, although heavy on the bloom.:)
    Also you should include the download as a zipped version preferably over installer, especially for a beta version.
    And you should never call your installer "setup.exe", include the name of the program so that people can tell what it is about after a few days.
    I didn't download it because it's an installer version.
    It also needs tutorials and informations on how to interface with it and with what languages it can be used.

3. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

Thanks. You're probably right on the zip version. I will provide it in a few days. As for now only a few tutorials are available (both on the website and in the install package) - there are more to come.

4. xelanoimis

Original Member

looking great! good luck with it

5. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

As promised I recently provided rarred version of the SDK. Also I wrote 2 more tutorials (still more are yet to come).

6. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

Just to let you know that I'm still working on my open-source nGENE Tech 3D engine, I'm posting a few updated screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope you like it!

Even though not that much have changed concerning graphics quality, many other changes have been made:
    • * added support for Lua scripting
      * fixed many bugs
      * added realistic water, fur and spot light effects
      * added 3D picking
      * added many useful helper functions and methods to existing classes
      * adding some tutorials and samples to make it easier to get started with nGENE.
    And much more. Check it yourself on http://ngene.wikidot.com!

Next time I hope to post some animated meshes.

7. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Both tutorial crash on my system; the logging is no help. The only logged error is 'ERROR: Window index: 1 is too big. Maximum is: 0 in nGENE::Renderer::getWindow in .\Renderer.cpp at line 152'

The setup program doesn't install any links to executable demos, so I had to hunt for them (and they crashed).

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

8. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

I'll check it. What is your configuration?

9. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

In SVN there is new updated version with many bugfixes (and two 2 tutorials). Also water has been slightly improved:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

Sorry for double posting but that's the only way to let you know that's something new is here.

But without further ado:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Even though my last post here was only a dozen of days ago, a lot of changes have been introduced in the nGENE Tech. First of all I'm pretty busy working on WYSIWYG editor (it should be ready to use in 2 months or so). I'm also improving existing code as I'm preparing some nice tech demo which will be available for download in 1,5 months from now. As you see this includes fixing Preetham's model faint sun and clouds.

[​IMG]

Hope you like it!

11. realtime44

realtime44 New Member

Wow

I am quite impressed. Good work, I'll give it a spin.

12. Ciardhubh

Ciardhubh New Member

It took me several attempts to start the download. Sendspace's timer kept restarting. Download speed has also been very slow (50-60 kb/s). This and the fact that it's restricted to Windows only (i.e. DirectX 9, 10) kept me from having a shot at it.

The Screenshots look very nice, especially the environmental effects. It's really too bad it's Windows-only. A small demo application (<2 MB) would probably be good to encourage people to take a look at it. 60 MB take too long, considering Sendspace is so slow and makes you jump through hoops to start the download. I've seen that there are some demos in the bin/release folder of the repository. However I downloaded the whole release directory and it still crashed after choosing a resolution.

13. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

You're right sendspace wasn't the best choice. However, I'll soon move to some other server (free hosting is too slow).

Currently I don't have plans for platforms other than windows as I'm not that fluent with OpenGL to provide renderer for it. You're also right about binaries, there is something wrong about them, so I temporarily removed download link to it.

14. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Latest screens are very impressive. Congrats and keep it going.

15. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

Two more weeks have passed so it's time to submit something new, just to keep you informed about current progress ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Flamingchook

Flamingchook New Member

I've been following this for a while now and I decided to create an account to tell you that your work is excellent. it looks like its coming along really well!

17. Riddlemaster

Riddlemaster New Member

#17 Riddlemaster, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  18. Colm

Colm New Member

Wow, that water / wind effect looks amazing. Nice work!

19. Flamingchook

Flamingchook New Member

that is amazing!

keep up the good work my man, I'll give it a go!

20. tintin

tintin New Member

Great work!
    I can barely compiled the svn version with visual C++ 2005 express, but the examples failed to run.
    More documents and demo game will be great help.