News: IGF Entrants List Posted

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Matthew, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Matthew

Indie Author

2. Gnatinator

Original Member

Great. :D

I see a lot of familiar names in there. Good luck to all who've entered!

3. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

A huge list. The fact that Luxor was entered gave me a chuckle. Does that count as indie?

Lots of good games and plenty that sound intriguing that I had never heard of. Seems like there's stiff competition this year.

My money goes to Darwinia taking Art and Game Design -- all in all a really solid (though occassionally flawed) entry. I'm hoping my entry makes it to the finals...

Good luck to everyone else! May the best games win!

#3 DrWilloughby, Sep 21, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  4. kimkallstrom1

Original Member

5. ERoberts

Original Member

Why wouldn't it? Sometimes I get the feeling that some peoples definition of indie game is "a game that is not successful". Figures.

6. Ricardo C

Original Member

Actually, I've found that people who question Luxor's (or Zuma's, or Diner Dash's, etc.) status as an indie game do so because of the exponentially larger budgets and staff these games were made with, not any sort of inferiority complex/professional envy/whatever else your little comment meant to imply. This has been discussed in the past, but thanks for the troll anyway.

#6 Ricardo C, Sep 21, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  7. terin

Original Member

Sheesh

If ANY of the entrants need to be questioned it is:

Dangerous Waters
    Sonalysts Combat Simulations (Sonalysts Inc.)

A retail published title that really doesn't have an ounce of what makes an indie title. I'm still not a fan of the method they use to declare indies.

That was the only title I noticed (maybe Rubies of Evantide, but I don't think that game is good enough to win and it technically IS indie in my mind... but only just barely)

-Joe

8. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Heh, well, recently they've had Savage, Yo Ho Ho Puzzle Pirates, and Alien Hominid. This certainly isn't a new trend. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist

9. simonc

Original Member

Hey guys - I'm Chairman of the IGF, and am definitely interested in your feedback. There are _lots_ of great games posted this year, and the 'is this indie?' question always comes up, of course.

We actually added a tickbox this year with a kind of 'pledge of allegiance' when people submitted - essentially, a 'think carefully - are you really indie?' check, and I feel like that at least makes people think. In addition, I feel like games such as Alien Hominid really _do_ show the spirit of indie - heck, it was developed with the founders' money from remortgaging their houses.

I also believe that games such as Dangerous Waters show the indie aesthetic pretty clearly as well, even if they were developed by veterans, especially since simulations are retreating into what I'd definitely called an indie niche - and Dangerous Waters only very recently got some fairly limited retail distribution, I believe? In any case, it technically qualified and spiritually qualifies, for me.

Anyhow, I will try to check in here occasionally to answer any more questions - but now I have to go check 118 games to make sure they work before the judges get their hands on them - uhoh!

10. Andy

Original Member

I have nothing against the competition of good games. They just need to remove Independent of their title. And don't get annoyed my email box with their newsletter anymore. :D

11. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Goody... Impulse sounds vaguely familiar. ;)

It's my own fault for not doing something with PB until recently. Meh.

12. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

Anyone else with bets on the winners? (or at least finalists?)

Reflexive declined to enter this year (though they didn't have any major releases, so far as I can remember) partly because there was a bit of outcry in Wik being entered. Seems like an honorable thing to do to me!

Alien Hominid def. counts as indie! That's one where their success critcally actually translated into a publisher deal. Horray for trailblazers like them!

And Puzzle Pirates, though its gotten a bit less press, is actually even more of a success story. Those guys put everything on the line (like the AH guys), and two years later, they are bringing in a VERY significant revenue stream. AND they've got a captive MMO audience in a growing market niche. Impressive. All self published too.

13. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

Interesting to note that Mumbo's entries, Luxor and Chainz 2, are listed at $50K budgets each, and 4 and 3 months dev time, respectively. If those are accurate, that's pretty good, considering their success, and definitely puts them in the indie category as far as budget goes.

14. kimkallstrom1

Original Member

Played just about all the entries for this year's competition. Will post my thoughts about the good ones on my blog.

Tim W.
    Independent Gaming

15. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Reflexive has 3 games that could have been entered. One was publicly released in December/January (Big Kahuna Reef) and the other two are close enough to being finished that they could have been entered. But none of them seemed to be in the spirit of the IGF.

16. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

Ah, I didn't realize BKR was this year. While I love to stand in the company of the Reflexive talent, I'd rather not when it comes to judgement day... (igf-wise, that is)