Newbie: some general questions about game distribution/alpha testers/general

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by fluffiest_shark, Sep 13, 2017.

1. fluffiest_shark

fluffiest_shark New Member

Trying to find a way to distribute WIP game builds to potential testers. I think finding some way to host it, or even send it in an email or something would be a good choice, but I'm not sure if it IS a good choice or how to do it... this is the first time I've tried to do this before and I'm absolutely clueless.

I'm trying to canvas for game testers to have a go at the alpha intro build for a little adventure RPG I'm making currently, but I don't know how to get the current build of the game to them without actually having the computer I'm using with us. I think maybe email would be best or using a free hosting site? I have no intention of selling the final product, but I don't know if that would effect anything????

I'm using RPGMakerVXAce, just as a reference (note: I know it's pretty basic but I'm finding it really helpful as a kind of launching pad? Just helping me figure stuff out (another note: please keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever done anything like this and I know diddly squat))

Also, when I was looking around, I found some pages that suggested the original poster (on different forums) either export as a .zip or put the RTP file in the download package. The problem is, I don't know what the difference would be and I don't know if it would be worth the effort? I feel all confused about it.

On the same topic, I do have an in-house (as in living in the same house as me) tester, but I know I should be getting more than one person's opinion on it... should I just keep powering on without testing when it isn't completed yet or should I finish the game and send out digital betas to anyone who wants to try it out?

If anyone with experience in anything to do with getting people to test your game and/or exporting it to be hosted on a site or sent in an email could help me or just give me a few tips, I would really appreciate it. If anyone has any good advice, I would really appreciate it!