Newbie here! Releasing android game. How to monetize?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by MrSeasons, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MrSeasons

MrSeasons New Member

Hey guys!
    I am a big gamer myself, and as a big gamer, I understand what makes a good game. Now I have been working on my project for about a year now, and my game is in alpha state. My alpha testers are really enthousiastic, and some even tell me they are addicted cause the gameplay is so simple but has quite some depth.

Now the thing is, it is on android. And I feel that people don't like to pay for apps that are on mobile. So how could I best make a profit?

- Make 2 versions, one free, one paid
    - only paid (i will probably not get any installs from this)
    - a free app, that can be upgraded to the full game by paying once
    - EA style (buy ingame moves, items etc. for real money)
    - fully free with ads
    - fully free with no adds, see how it performs and then decide.

What do you guys think?

Frozen Cube likes this.
  2. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Depends on the quality of the game, if your making flappy bird you only have option a) ads.

If the game has some awesome designs then you can go free and paid.

If the game is a trading card game you can roll with In App purchases all day for upgrades and power ups.

3. MrSeasons

MrSeasons New Member

Hi, thnx for the reply!

It is not a flappy bird style game. Actually, I would say it is turning out pretty decent, it is easy to pick up but hard to master. I hired a designer (paid) to make the art as I myself am a die hard engineer.

The game is puzzle, mostly. You have a certain amount of moves per game in order to complete stages or you can go 'endless mode' and see how far you can get.

Do you think it's bad to not go for any ads at all and release it for free and see how well it will do?
    Besides, how much do ads really pay? Is there any indication?

4. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Well you get the most users on release day and it then fades out with time so you have to acquire more with paid marketing. Just invite people as beta testers and let them give you feedback about ad placement. Banners pay the least and video ads the most. You can throw in in-app purchases for maybe extra Undo moves if its that kind of a puzzle game.

5. Frozen Cube

Frozen Cube New Member

I don't know the nature of your game at the moment, but I'd highly recommend you market A LOT. If you have loads of players, your profits should automatically go up. In terms of monetization, how about something that SmashHit did? Where the game is free (maybe throw in a few ads) but there are no checkpoints - so if you pass, say 10 levels, and fail on the 11th level, you have to restart from level one unless you purchase a premium version/account, ect.. which will remove the ads and allow checkpoints?

6. MrSeasons

MrSeasons New Member

Hmm, that sounds like interesting ideas, thanks! However, I have already spend quite some money into the design, and I am not sure how I can market the game in a smart way that does not cost me loads of money again. Do you have any experience with marketing?

7. Frozen Cube

Frozen Cube New Member

I have no experience with marketing yet unfortunatley, but I did find a nifty presentation on the Unity website about zero-budget marketing for indies: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/...g-and-pr/zero-budget-marketing?playlist=17129

8. Scoper

Indie Author

I would advise against waiting to see how it performs. With the exception of social games like MMOs most games' popularity peak just after release day and then steadily decline.
    Also, having only a paid version is dangerous. Not as much on Android as on iOS, but it can still kill your game. It can work if the game appeals very strongly to a niche group who want your game so much that they don't care that they have to pay up front for it. But you have to know your audience well to pull it off.

Which monetization strategy will work best depends on what type of game you have and who your audience is.

Frozen Cube likes this.
  9. CasperIsFriendly

CasperIsFriendly New Member

Truly, your best bet will be a combination of strategies. If you decide to go freemium, the majority of users will never actually pay to unlock/upgrade, so you should have a strategy to monetize those users as well.

Based on what little you've told us about your game, it would be most beneficial to combine ads with IAPs and rewarded videos, I think. Rewarded videos work great when users are able to opt-in to them, and also boost your overall retention rate. Monetize paying users through traditional IAPs, and non-paying users using vieos in exchange for coins, items, power-ups, etc. Strategically use banner or interstitial ads, depending on the layout and design of your app. You can even segment your users to show fewer ads to paying users. If you monetize through a mediation solution like Appodeal, you can use the dashboard to segment users based on whether or not they make purchases, or even how much they spend on IAPs!

You're correct in that Android users are less willing to pay for apps, so ads and IAPs are the way to go. There are a lot of games these days that do a really good job of implementing ads in a smart and creative way, which doesn't turn off users. Take inspiration from your favorites!

Scoper likes this.
  10. sarahlewis

sarahlewis New Member

Hi!

I hope everyone's doing all fine and having a great time with all their apps and their strategies in developing them.

Just came across this post & wanted to share to you one of the ways to monetize your app is to integrate survey walls or offer walls within an app!
    Sure sometimes that some users find it annoying but it does have its benefits for the user and most especially for the developer.

I would suggest you check out some good sites that offer Android SDKs for your app like OfferDaddy.

Let me know if this helps & for anything else! :*