NEWBIE COMPOSER: SEEKING YOUR ADVICE

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Jon_Forest, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Jon_Forest

Jon_Forest New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Jon, long time lurker, first time poster!

I’m a composer based in Melbourne and just starting out - my focus is writing immersive interactive music for games. I was hoping to get some advice / guidance from you.

I’ve put together a website (www.jonforest.com.au) with a few samples of my music but I’m not entirely sure where to go from here.

What are things that you look for when hiring a composer to make music for your games?

My point of difference is to make a unique and customised piece of music for games that really “pops” over using “stock” sounds that anyone/everyone has access to? So, what would make you hire a composer like me over using stock websites like www.musicbed.com/ that provide cheap or free effects / music etc?

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jon

2. Symbolize | Caleb

Symbolize | Caleb New Member

"So, what would make you hire a composer like me over using stock websites like www.musicbed.com/ that provide cheap or free effects / music etc?"

Well, first thing I do is I would ask them... Why would you use sites to get high quality music for free or for a low price when you can have someone like "me" come in and create an original soundtrack inspired completely by your game and that will give the player something to remember? Furthermore, you won't hear the soundtrack I create in any other game, movie, commercial or short film.

3. Fanger Pappet

Fanger Pappet New Member

Main thing when starting out is avoid the temptation to devalue your work. Business will be slow out the gate, cartoons and modern dance companies are good outlets for composition work. I cut my teeth by selling rap beats and recording local rock bands. Once you get to the point that you can knock out a finished composition in a couple hours your hourly rate will be worth it to indie studios.

But if somebody doesn't value your work enough to pay you a fair wage, don't work for them. Profit sharing is ok IF you really believe the game will get off the ground... in my experience projects have a way of fizzling.

4. Archduke

Archduke New Member

As someone who has considered looking at composers, what would make someone stand out to me are examples of being able to write music that fits a theme. For example, if you had a page on your site where you had a paragraph describing a fake game, then had a track or two that showed how your music contributes to the theme. You could even pull passages out of books and do this.

5. Fanger Pappet

Fanger Pappet New Member

That's a really cool idea archduke.

6. bebopandtempo

bebopandtempo New Member

I looked for a composer that had a portfolio that matched what I was looking for. I like to see where their passions lie and what type of music they enjoy writing. I enjoy seeing composers write new music to a gameplay video. It is really great to see the tone of a game change with just the change of music.