New website, your opnion needed

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by sphinx, Sep 14, 2006.

1. sphinx

Original Member

2. lakibuk

Indie Author

1. Your link does not work.
    2. www.ancientsoft.com: VIRUS ALERT! (Trojan Horse), says my virus scanner

3. sphinx

Original Member

What?!!!!
    That's Weird, anyone tried it please let me know?

What is your Virus Scanner?

4. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

No Trojan here but the page doesn't exist

5. lakibuk

Indie Author

McAfee. screenshot attached

Attached Files:

6. sphinx

Original Member

7. michalczyk

Original Member

I think the site looks good overall - definitely a good start. It's easy to navigate, but the font is a bit tiny at 1280x1024, I had to increase it. I would also make the two small screenshots on your front page somewhat smaller size wise (not aspect ratio wise), right now they are 200x156File Size=18 kb, 200x150File Size=15 kb. You can easily cut that in half without loosing much/any visible quality. Running your files through a tool that optimizes file sizes by removing image comments and other unnecessary header stuff is always nice.

#7 michalczyk, Sep 14, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  8. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Your new site is clean, but I get the Trojan alert over here too on your original site.

9. gellyware

Original Member

Constructive Crit:

1. You have too many colors going on at once with the design.I'm more focused on your sites GUI than the games and I don't think that's what you really want.

2. Too many fonts. Pick one or two fonts and stick with it. You have one font for the games, a twisting font for your logo, a different font for your huge name at the top (too big)... script text under that... italicized buttons.. etc... etc..

3. The copyright 2006 Ancientsoft at the bottom draws way too much attention. It should probably be plain text and subtle. If you are going to use a graphic, why would the Ancient soft at the bottom not match the logo at the top?

4. I want the pictures to be a link. I keep finding myself trying to click the game picture but it doesn't do anything. The image should be an <a href> as well.

5. The texture youre using is entirely too large of a scale, something much smaller wouldn't be as distracting.

6. Top logo bar takes up 15% of the page. Too much. Check out amazon.com, bigfishgames.com, realarcade.com, etc.

7. That bottom bar is just the secondary distraction on your site. It's too bulky and that texture again is not aestetically pleasing to me (maybe to others).

8. The heirarchy of 'navigation' is all over the place. You have buttons at the top, "seemingly" buttons to the left (at least they look like buttons but they dont work", a bulky navigation at the bottom, text links under that. Try the KISS method. Bottom navigation is typically very subtle. It's just there for convienience... not to be a major gui element.

9. There should be a buy now link under each game. It makes more sense than a generalized buy button at the top.

10. The bevel that youre using for the top and bottom bars are too intense. My eye is drawn to that dark black line on the left of the top bar, and the bottom and right of the bottom bar. Is there two suns in this picture? Why would the shadows be different? If you are going to bevel, bevel them the same, otherwise it looks like two lightsources and doesn't make sense. From what I gather from your imagry, you cropped the background, flipped it vertical and horizontal and called it a bottom bar. The bevel effect should be added 'after' not before.

11. Why when I click a link, I'm brought to a completely different format?

This design is very schitzophrenic right now. It needs a lot of work.

If I'm supposed to be looking at this layout:
    http://www.ancientsoft.com/games.htm

Let me know as most of that above criticism will not apply, but that page has it's issues as well. Especially the "Feel it" line :p

Hope you take this constructively and consider some of these design issues.

10. jeb_

Indie Author

I like the site. The only thing I noticed was gellyware's fourth point, that the images should link to something (either to a full-size screenshot or the "more information" page).