New US Postal Service rules and CD mailers

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by MichaelM, Jul 19, 2008.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone else having a problem with the inability of the US Postal Service to provide authoritative quotes for postage rates for CD mailers?

I have been using a square 5" x 5" cardboard mailer for a single CD for years. The weight is about 1.6 oz. Before the 2007 postal rate changes, the cost was 63 cents for first class mail. I never had a problem...

Now the USPS has rules regarding dimensions and thickness, as well as how much the envelope bends. The new rate depends on who you ask at the USPS. I can find NO consensus among the USPS employees. So what happens is I go to a USPS location and a clerk tells me how much it costs -- I then use that rate for future mailings and then find some percentage are returned to me with "postage due". :confused:

I have been told 79 cents, 90-something cents, and even $1.34 supposedly 'cause it cannot be mailed as a first class item and must go parcel post.

Anyone have experience with a single CD mailer that unequivocally meets these new USPS regulations for simple first class mailing? I cannot believe Netflix has to pay $1.34 for every CD they mail. Otherwise they'd be bankrupt.

Thank you

#1 MichaelM, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. NuclearNova

NuclearNova
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I've had similar problems, suddenly CDs were coming back with postage due. The main problem was that it seemed random what I actually had to pay, sometimes .63, sometimes 1.50! When I went to the post office I got a different answer every time.

My solution was to deposit the CDs at a different post office mailing box and use $1.17 for a 3 ounce "package".

3. MrPhil

MrPhil
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I don't think this is just a CD mailer problem. I've gotten more postage dues on my mail in the last month then my whole life. I think USPS has something messed up internally.

4. MichaelM

MichaelM
    Expand Collapse

The problem is that the customer service employees and the mail sorting employees are not on the same page with all the new postage rate rules. I do not know that I can trust the web site as I've tried using it only to have items come back with postage due.

I have had different clerks within the same USPS location tell me a different rate for the same piece of mail, and discussions indicated that a piece of mail will be handled numerous times before delivery and may be subject to a different rate interpretation/opinion each time. :rolleyes: Therefore, there are multiple points of failure along the way to delivery.