new PC - worth it?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by cliffski, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Tertsi

Indie Author

Based on what I've read:
    Not true, you don't have to use the Aero UI. Besides Vista itself doesn't use DX 10 only features. DX 9 compatible cards should be able to run the nicest looking version of the Aero UI.

2. vjvj

Indie Author

Yep. Vista desktop runs on DX9.

3. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

The Vista requirements are a bit of a joke though - considering the new UI looks like a less well-designed version of Mac OS X, which does the same thing, only better and with far, far lower system requirements.

4. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

and lower power consumption too. Modern computers are using the equivilant of 20 low-energy lightbulbs, even when you are just sending an email. Its mad. Energy costs are spiraling.

5. NuriumGames

Original Member

6. Pyabo

Original Member

Thanks for the link Nurium... been looking into this myself lately. I was thinking my next upgrade would be water cooling, but this might be better.

7. AlexN

Original Member

I'm in the same exact position as yours! :(

8. gmcbay

Indie Author

I was in pretty much the same boat as you -- pretty happy with my circa 2004 computer but thinking about upgrading, if for no reason other than habit. I recently ended up buying a Core 2 Duo system (in component-form from newegg). Total cost was a bit over $800 for basically the entire system (sans monitor, since I already have several) and I've been very happy with it. It is difficult to say if it is giving any notable productivity boost, but everything feels much zippier and more responsive.

One important thing to note is that the newer CPU cores are often notably faster than old CPUs, even at slower ghz ratings. In raw ghz ratings my old P4 was 3.2, my new one is 1.86, but the new one is significantly faster in real-world performance terms than my old CPU, even when doing things that aren't directly taking advantage of the extra core.

9. Sharpfish

Original Member

My 2 self built desktops sytems went 350mhz Pentium2 > Duron 800mhz and that's it.

Even today I am using this Duron 800mhz + GF4ti4200 on a 17" monitor and it does most productivity tasks fine. I purposely kept this low spec PC (ok the GPU is very old but not ultra-low-spec) so that developing for the older computer market was more natural. If I can get 200 frames per second on a game i'm working on then I know it's a good thing.

I will keep this PC whatever happens next because it is my "target box" (especially as It also has an even older PCi Voodoo 5 in it and I can test stuff on that also).

I also have an AMD64 3400+ laptop that I initially bought for "coding in the garden" or on holiday, or in the living room. To be fair it had a lot of use in the first 6 months but as Tom said, there is usually a natural move back to the desktop system. I tend to use the laptop for more graphically demanding stuff (productivity) because it is faster.

Anyway, I was thinking just yesterday of building a middle ground system (amd64/sempron) with a SATA drive and more ram etc so that I could run my DAW better (recording/mixing music). The laptop could do it fine (especially with an external HD kept just for music data) but would need a plug in 24bit soundcard like the echo indigo or something. I just figured, save that money and put it towards the main pc (I already have a delta series 24bit card in the desktop).

So, I "may have" upgraded knowing that I can spend cheap on last-last generation tech and still have a PC that will last for another 5 years. However if my intentions were to make it DX10/Vista/Crysis worthy then I would wait for 6 months and buy new intel + new nvidia. As I fall somewhere in between those I have decided to wait for now and look again next summer.

10. David De Candia

Original Member

For the first time I'm basing my next purchase on style - rather than hardware specs. Apple has it all over Windows PC's in this regard, so I'm defecting to Apple - probably an iMac. Not sure - I'll look into it more when I actually have the money to make it happen.

11. michalczyk

Original Member

I use an 800Mhz Duron with 512MB of RAM as my main machine and do all programming on it, internet, research, etc. Works just fine. I only experience slowdowns on sites which are over loaded with flash ads, and other crap. I like using "slower" hardware because it gives me a better feel for what needs optimizing, etc.

BTW, I should probably mention that I use Linux which can be configured to run well on older hardware. Not sure how well WinXP would run on my Duron.

#31 michalczyk, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  12. Sharpfish

Original Member

Win XP (SP2) runs fine on it, never had any performance or speed issues.

13. Tertsi

Indie Author

My compile times with visual studio 2005 are only about 46% of the former ones now that I upgraded my computer. So for me it will definitely be worth it. I didn't even have to reinstall OS. (Though I might have to if I'm going to start using RAID.)

processor: AMD 2800+ -> Intel E6600
    RAM: 1 GB Kingston HyperX DDR -> 2 GB Corsair 6400 DDR 2

14. Sharpfish

Original Member

I will be going for an e6600 when the price drops, or even if it doesn't then around feb next year probably. Along with all the other "new" stuff to go with it. WIll hold out for a new gpu for longer though. Current pc will become a testing box. If I had more money than sense I would probably wait for a quad core.

This is regardless of what I previously said in the earlier posts. The core2duo is just to nice to ignore! :)