New GameDev Book Released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by joshuadallman, Feb 2, 2009.

1. joshuadallman

Original Member

[​IMG]

Business and Production for Games, a new book for game developers put together by the folks at GameDev.net, is now out!

It includes a great collection of essential business and production related articles including a chapter I wrote on "Pitch your Game: Pitching Tips from a Game Industry Catcher."

I'm very excited to see the book out and published. Congrats to Drew at GameDev and all the other authors!

Here is the publisher description:

The Amazon info page is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Business-Production-GameDev-net-Drew-Sikora/dp/1598638092/

Paperback: 304 pages
    Publisher: Course Technology PTR; 1 edition (January 9, 2009)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1598638092
    ISBN-13: 978-1598638097
    Product Dimensions: 9 x 7.4 x 0.9 inches

2. Red27

Indie Author

Looks good.

Love the Amateur versus Professional product development cycle comparison on Page 3....how many of us will raise a wry smile at some of those! :)

3. joshuadallman

Original Member

This is the first book I've co-authored so I'm pretty excited to finally see it out :)

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Cool (and congrats) is it aimed at ALL game developers or more mainstream than Indie? Looking at the table of contents it does seem to apply to all though...

So does GameDev own copyright of all articles posted on there then? i.e. the original authors aren't getting royalties.

5. Nikster

Original Member

I'll start by saying congrats, however, after the only book I've bought relating to gamedev, also written by a gamedev regular and hyped by gamedev's forumites "Game Engine Toolset Development" turning out to the biggest utter pile of shit of a book ever, I come to the conclusion gamedev is all about shilling books from its members, i really hope it's not the case with this one.

6. JGOware

Indie Author

wait....users post content, then the content gets turned into a book? Is this what is implied?

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Well the first chapter is by Steve Pavlina (and it's a classic).

8. joshuadallman

Original Member

Definitely all developers, indie or not.

Correct. I got a small check (very small) to hand over the article I wrote as "work for hire," and I get no royalties from sales. But I get published, and get to spread some game development gospel to a whole new audience and medium, so that was enough of a value proposition for me.

I don't know which book that was, but it wasn't an official GameDev.net book. This one is the first GameDev.net book. There was originally going to be just one, but then there was so much content that they decided to split it up into a small series, hence the first one focusing on business and production. I believe the next one focuses on programming.

I originally wrote my piece on how to pitch games to publishers for a blog piece, then GameDev picked it up and asked to republish it there. Then much later, they picked the article as part of the "best of gamedev.net" which they were then putting into a book. So in my case I didn't post to GameDev.net, they found me.

Also worth mentioning that there's a bunch of new "exclusive" articles in the book, so it's not just a best-of in book form.

Check out the table of contents on Amazon and see what you think. Or if you spot it in a bookstore, give it a browse through. I don't get royalties as I mentioned, so I'm not invested if you buy or like the book or not, and I haven't gotten my copy yet (I'm working on game development in South Africa so my book got sent to my address back home in the US) so I can't vouch for the quality of the other articles yet. But if you see it check it out, and if you buy it let others know what you think here.

9. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I might buy this. Looks to be a hell of a lot more useful than MDickie's recent "attempt".

10. realtime44

realtime44 New Member

Congrat Josh!

Hey Josh! I just wanted to say congrats! Will it be available in Canada soon?

Thanks!
    RT

11. Desktop Gaming

Just ordered from Amazon.co.uk for £16. Not really one for books but it should be worth a read.

12. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@joshuadallman: OK thanks for the info. I'm intrigued and may well purchase...

13. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Awesome - glad to see more resources like this in the market!

amazon.com: "Only 3 left in stock--order soon (more on the way). " :D

14. Cray

Cray New Member

Have you read that one? I was curious how it turned out, but not curious enough to buy it without great reviews :)

15. vjvj

Indie Author

Congrats, Dude! Now you can check off "published author" on your list of achievements :D

I'll definitely check out the book. I can't get enough of this particular topic.

16. Desktop Gaming

No, but I do know that the review on Amazon by King Com, is actually Mat Dickie. Bit sad and immoral to review your own book while pretending to be somebody else. :rolleyes:

Every time he's posted on forums in the past I've found him to be egotistical and delusional in his own self-importance,and his attitude towards other prorammers stinks. When he was writing a boxing game years ago, he couldn't even code a properly formatted timer that counts down from 3:00 to 0:00 - after several failed attempts I ended up doing it for him.

Anyway, even the review (which HE wrote) says that the book has little to do with games design/programming. So I guess its 200 or more pages on how great MDickie is, which I don't have the slightest desire to read.

I'm keen to see a *genuine* review of it.

Amazon.co.uk only has one left.

17. desmasic

Original Member

This review, right?

Pretty funny if what you say is true.

:p

18. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I have the book sitting on my table, just came in yesterday via UPS.

If any one is interested, I can 'review' the book. Actually, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about the book.

19. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Lol, good catch.

---

If somebody has reviews, how about throw them to amazon.com/.co.uk?

20. joshuadallman

Original Member

I am jealous!

I'd love to see a review. Just be gentle on my chapter ;)