New Game: 'troid, - modern asteroids

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by MattV, Aug 13, 2004.

1. MattV

Original Member

I've released my first shareware game: 'troid

http://www.hermitgames.com/troid.php

I've done a small, quiet release and based on my limited and short first couple of weeks I have about a 0.1% conversion rate. I'd really like to improve this by changing the demo, any ideas anyone?

Things I realise already:
    - It might still be too hard, the first demo definately was. The problem is I've picked 3 levels from throughout the game to show it off so the difficulty ramps quickly.
    - The game is targetted at a specific shooter-fan niche, it's not casual or massmarket.
    - The game relies on it's scoring machanism for depth and innovation, this requires time investment from the player.

Thanks for any advice any of you veterans can offer.
    -Matt

2. princec

Indie Author

Beautiful in every respect and plays excellently; title menu behaves very unintuitively; hiscore entry is pretty but basically annoying when you've got a whole keyboard; demo too short; nag screen vanishes too quickly for me to read!

Cas :)

3. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Excellent job! I love the style!

Couple things:

- The little help that tells what keys do what in the menu is displayed on top of the bottom half of the high score list.
    - The demo is pretty short like someone else mentioned. I don't think the skill level is all that hard, but then again, I grew up on these types of games in the arcade. :)
    - I also agree with princec on the high score.. maybe keep current behavior but also accept text-entry where the letter the user hits "slides" into place quickly.
    - I would allow mouse control for the menus in addition to the keyboard.
    - I would also allow mouse control in-game (mouse left/right rotates, left button fires, right button thrusts).

I think allowing your whole game to be used with the mouse (interface + game) will open up your game to point'n'clickies (people that just like to clickclickclick).

4. Nikster

Original Member

I'll be the bad cop :)

1) I think when it finished installing it asked if I wanted to run the game, I said yes and it didn't run it.

2) Upon boot up I get a dialog box saying "Set co-op level failed"

3) after it play your companu logo I then get a "lost kb - failed" dialog each game loop, frame, whatever, so not playable.

This was running on a 2k machine with 1 gig of ram and a gf4200ti

I assume the keyboard thing is because it's just not being reaquired ?

oh well, it looked like promising game looking and the movies, but if this happens on other peoples machines you may lose a lot of customers, of course it may just be my machine.

5. GameStudioD

Original Member

This is a very nice looking game. The graphics are smooth and beautiful. The sound is also good. My favorite part is when your ship explodes, it says "Fuck".

I would have to agree with the previous posters. The game NEEDS mouse support, in game and in menu. Every now and then you see a shareware game that does not have it and there is no excuse for it.

The menu is very unintuitive.

The game only has 30 levels. That doesnt seem like very many. And this is the primary selling point.

6. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Ahh, I forgot to ask about that. I also thought it said "fuck" but thought there is no way that's what it really is saying. Is it so? (The funny part is that I also said "fuck" when I got killed. :) )

7. Sunshine

Original Member

I think this game looks awsome and the engine is very fast too.

However the game locks up on me at random times. :confused:
    Once after level one when the score was coming up.
    Once at the title screen when I pressed down on the controller.
    and then a few times inside level 1.
    It requres a cold boot to revivie it :(

I am using a Athlon 1900+, with black dragon motherboard, and a gefore 2 ti as the video card.
    I also use win98, and have it current with update.

Hope this helps you , that game looks really cool :cool:

8. MattV

Original Member

Thaks everyone for trying it.

- I made the demo short to try and cut people off who were enjoying it so they'd buy. Do you think giving more away would improve the conversion rate? Would maybe a kickout timer help/hinder sales, that ends the game after 10 minutes and the player has to reload it?

- I'm going to work on the unintuitive menu/hiscore entry.

- I'm going to test mouse support again too. The problem is the game is designed around that digital turn speed, on a mouse it feels awfully slow and unresponsive, but if I make it faster it unbalances the game massively for non mouse players. I tested it uncessesfully in prototype, i'll go back to it now and see if I can get it working.

- I'm going to try and get a new test version out today that fixes the keyboard lockup problem. Nikster: could you give it a test once I put it up?

- Yes it does only have 30 levels, but they are painstakingly designed, I want to go for quality rather than quantity. Plus the game is more about score maximisation than progression. I am considering a new gamemode that lets you try 5 level chunks and get scores for that chunk, because playing the progression mode can be a bit of a long slog with 30 levels.

- Does it say "fuck" when you die? :) It's your decision...

Thanks again for all the kind comments, glad people like it.

9. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I think if you have the mouse only give it a fixed constant rotation now matter how fast the mouse is moved, it would only frustrate the player. How much the ship rotates should be dependent on the mouse's dx. I can understand, though, that it might make the game way easier than the keyboard version, but it could make it more fun (test it on us :) ).

10. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

first impressions:

wow it looks lovely

skip the logo screen. I dont care who makes the games i play ;)
    work on your menu, twice now ive quit the game bvecause i didnt have an option to redefine the controls from where i am. Dont let the player quit the game so easily.

still playing...

11. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

further comments:

its nice, but the style is so like mutant storm and space tripper i assumed it was the same company...

I dont thinkt here is enough efaturewise there to get a sale. Do i get mroe weapons? different opponents? I left the game not really knowing if it was deep.
    A game has to give me at least an hours fun if I was to buy it, Im not sure this one has enough depth yet, but its a very nice looking game.

12. MattV

Original Member

Although there are several other enemy and element types not in the demo the depth is really in the scoring system, like a modern japenese shooter (ikaruga, psyvariar etc..). By hitting three rocks of the same size in a row you increase your scoring multiplier. This makes the player destroy bigger rocks all at once making lots of smaller rocks and inherently making it harder for themselves. The levels have been designed with the multiplier in mind so they are like little puzzles. Hopefully once the scoreboard is up on the net more poeple will be encouraged to try out the scoring system. Like I said before I realise "- The game relies on it's scoring machanism for depth and innovation, this requires time investment from the player." and this is a weak point.

Good job I had that logo eh :D

I've really not tried to emulate pompom. There are quite a lot of abstract graphic style games (I've made several myself for the playstation) and I havn't mimicked pompom's distinctive texturing at all, or thier great algorithmic shape stuff. I just don't want to make 'realism' or real-world based games.

13. princec

Indie Author

Definitely need to give away 10 levels, not 3. And there's no harm in putting a few spacer levels in, maybe bring the total number of levels up to a satisfyingly huge sounding 50, and then you can give away 15 or even 20 in the demo. And fix the menu for sure :)

Cas :)

14. Nikster

Original Member

Yep I'll give it a go when you up the new version, just gimmie a shout when it is as I'm on a coding mission atm, so you can reach via MSN if you wish..

Ps:- Please remove mario pac from your site, it's a time killer :D

#14 Nikster, Aug 15, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2004