New game new mechanics [Action adventure game]

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Rod, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Rod

Rod New Member

[​IMG]

Hi everyone!

My friend and I started developing a new game over the summer. We haven’t come up with a name yet, but it will be an action-adventure game in which the player is put on a mission to harvest emotions. Currently it is single player, however, we are debating whether to integrate local multiplayer into the game since playing with friends is generally more fun. Currently, we are focusing on the gameplay mechanics and designing fun and challenging levels.

The gameplay revolves around controlling a bouncing ball that is thrown out and pulled back in.

[​IMG]

In order to damage or kill enemies, the player will have to charge up the ball by hitting enemies with it. Once it is fully charged, you can detonate it to do damage.

[​IMG]

The player also has a teleportation skill and a jet pack that allows him to fly.

[​IMG]

These two mobility skills combined with the ball mechanics allows for a very intense gameplay and challenging levels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The story of the game will revolve around the player being put on a mission to harvest emotions from defeated enemies, and the reason for doing so will be slowly uncovered through out the game.
    [​IMG]

So far we have designed a handful of levels with the mechanics mentioned above, and we are working on adding more mechanics into the game. The art aspect of the game is still in progress, so it will definitely look a lot better in the future!

[​IMG]

I hope you guys like what you see so far, your feedback would mean a lot to me. We will post a small playable demo soon for those who are interested in trying out the game.

We will try to post our updates here regularly, I hope to take you along this journey with us!

We also created a facebook page, feel free to follow us there as well
    https://www.facebook.com/AShortTale/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

2. Scoper

Indie Author

This looks promising. You seem to have found a few simple mechanics which together could create a unique gameplay experience.
    You haven't written what you would like feedback on, so I will just write a few random thoughts.
    It is hard to tell in your animated gifs what is going on. You should focus on perfecting visual and auditive cues to make it clearer.
    An action packed game like this could be fun to play in couch co-op. However, I think the technical challenges in integrating local multiplayer will be much smaller than the gameplay design challenges in balancing it. It could easily result in a game in which the more experienced player does all the playing, while the other does all the dying.
    The exaggerated particle effects seem to complement the action well. But they seem to clash with the cartoony style of hero and monsters. Are those just placeholder graphics?
    I looks like an extremely difficult game. And with unusual controls. You should start off with some really easy levels, just to let the player learn the controls. And add only one new mechanic with each level.

3. Rod

Rod New Member

Hi thanks for your feedback. Currently, these are just placeholder graphics since we do not have an artist. Our main focus right now is to create fun mechanics and levels along with a nice story. Then we will try to create a small playable demo that we can present and hopefully attract some artists who will be willing to work with us.

Integrating local multiplayer will definitely be a challenge, if we do end up integrating it, we will try our best to balance the game for everyone.

And yes, the game is quite difficult. The game all depends on how well you can control the ball. We will try to design our levels carefully so players can get use to the mechanics before reaching any difficult levels.

4. Rod

Rod New Member

[​IMG]

Hi everyone!

Just want to make a little update. Currently, we are trying to integrate a nice story line into our game. Here is a little preview

[​IMG]
    This is Hennings, he looks like he hates his job

We are also trying to implement a new battle mechanics into our game. The ball you control will have increased speed and will start to do damage to enemies upon contact in addition to the old mechanics we have on the ball. Here is a little sneak peak.
    [​IMG]

We are planning to get roughly 40 minutes of gameplay complete by the end of this week. Then we are planning to release a very early demo for those people who are interested in trying out the game. Stay tuned!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AShortTale/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/notrodta