New Game : Jump Jump Jelly Reactor

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by svero, Jul 7, 2008.

1. JGOware

Indie Author

Hey Grey...can you define in detail what you mean by progression? Thanks. ;)

2. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Sorry, just some form of linear progression against a Map or List of Levels (at it's simplist) that you must move through from start to end and at the end you get a "well done, game complete" screen. This is instead of the idea of a game that gets harder and harder until you can't beat the level (like Tetris, this game, and Droid Assault (real shame as I wanted to know there was an end to Droid Assault)). Of course the map can have sub-branches like FizzBall or even whole separate levels for a different class of player (kids or hardcore) or for different modes.

3. JGOware

Indie Author

Gotcha. ;) Thanks!

4. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

There is actually a progress submap at the power station location. So there's a mixture of more typical progress level stuff and older style play till you cant stuff.

5. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Does this build give extra trial time if the time expired on the last build?

6. svero

It should give you another hr.

- S

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Ah OK cool. I didn't see if after level 1, it just went straight to level 2. I supposed I'd have seen it if I exited and restarted the game.

8. Hideo

Hideo New Member

I played one hour in one sitting. ^_^

For a "match 3" type of game, this happened only with Zuma Deluxe. Hell, I played Zuma probably around 100 hour’s total. o_O Your game has a lot of charm, mechanics are fun and original.

However, it gets boring very fast. Another minus is music. After just one hour it already started to annoy me. Graphics are very nice. Top notch!

I resented the fact that all other game modes are locked out. Unfortunately, arcade gets boring really fast, for me at least.

9. JGOware

Indie Author

"I played one hour in one sitting."
    "However, it gets boring very fast."

;)

10. Hideo

Hideo New Member

I forgot to mention, that when that hour passed, I thought it was more like 15 minutes. I was surprised. I lost track of time! Good job! ^_^

11. svero

12. svero

Well could be. Maybe its just not your thing. A lot of casual games feel kind of monotonous quickly to me as well. It's hard to judge my own game since I've played it to death in testing and development. There are certainly some key changes we considered to make the game more "fun" that I'm still not sure about. Thats the problem with trying some new kind of mechanic. It's definitely a gamble. You just don't know. 6? 5? 4? Jellies 4 to make it splash down? What's best? Whats the right balance of strategy and fun there? Allow diagonal moves or not? Whats the best algorithm to flood the colors? How quick do you make it harder? It's really not trivial to answer those sorts of questions. You have to do it by feel and yet the very fact that you play every day to test means you no longer have the same feel as a regular person. This is the sort of thing that cloning a known mechanic gives you for free. (if you're smart enough to copy and not break what works! Sometimes twists make a game worse.)

Anyway, you might just be one of those people where it's kinda obvious quick. I think it's actually more fun if you challenge yourself to get the bigger combos and awards and beat the challenges in factory etc... Stuff shouldnt be "that" locked out in the newer versions. Ie.. you should access factory and some of those other modes reasonably quickly if you're a good player. But it is also a very casual sit and relax and make some combos kind of game. It's not really aimed at more traditional players who tend to not enjoy that "zoning out" kind of play. I'd like to think we mitigated that a little with the Jellytown thing we added but we lost a little simplicity doing that as well... hard to say. It's certainly a struggle trying to get everything right.

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Good luck with it, I'll be watching it closely.

14. JGOware

Indie Author

lol.. my thoughts were if you play the game for an hour straight, it's not getting boring fast by any means. ;)

15. JGOware

Indie Author

How's the game doing? Any big portals pick the game up yet?

16. svero

> Any big portals pick the game up yet?

Yeah.. A few on the way. I guess it's in the queue of releases for some and I'm still waiting on replies and final agreements on a few others.

Sales from my site are pretty encouraging, but I don't have a whole lot of direct traffic these days, so it's hard to judge clearly. I'm cautiously optimistic. If the conversion rates hold up it should do well.

17. woo

woo
    Original Member

Just catching this. Very nice job! We have a concept/prototype in progress of a more strategic match 3-ish game, which, while it uses a different play mechanic I got the same kinda vibe from playing this. I really don't think the "genre" is played out at all, only the same old carbon-copies of Bejeweled have really gotten old.

The reason I'm chiming in though is because of the discussion about the super glossy, story-mode match 3 games. What the current crop of "puzzle" games really fail to get is that while, yes, it's dangerous to mess with the mechanic, and yes adding more "value" to the experience helps in conversions, it's certainly a lot more rewarding to the players when they master the new mechanic (assuming it's done well) as opposed to a playing a game that let's them explore a cave in Zimbabwe where the hidden .... blah blah blah blah.... but that uses the exact same mechanic that the last 100 match 3 clones used. That's not to say everyone needs to go out and reinvent the wheel or anything, but I guess my point is that the standard match 3 rules aren't a sacred cow and I enjoy seeing them bent if not broken by game designers who are willing to take the risk.

You've set the bar very high both in terms of gameplay and in presentation. Good luck - I'm sure it will do well for you!
    -Andrew Douglas
    http://theoreticalgames.com

- edit - P.S. it pains me to bring it up with seemingly all the other conversations going on about pirating lately all ending in tears, but when I googled Jump Jump Jelly Reactor, the first page was full of torrent links. Makes me very sad.

#57 woo, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  18. twilightsupport

Original Member

Yes, there appears to be something very strange going on with google search these days. Apparently an exploit of some kind is being used to garble the rankings and relevancy of the search results leaving you with pages and pages of spam to try to filter through. Yahoo!/MSN search, at the moment, seem to be far more reliable resources for web searches (sadly). I hope Google fixes this problem soon because it's a real mess to be sure. For instance, try searching "Arcade Town" (no quotes). The results will amaze you.

In any case, 90% of those torrent links are now 404's as I've been meticulously tracking and reporting them to the torrent site admins. Most sites take the links down within a few hours but for some reason they continue to appear in google's search results. Not sure what to make of that either.

Of course TPB came up (#1 spot at time of creation) and there's nothing you can really say to those 'people' so I just went to the page and kept hitting the F5 key and re-rating it downwards. Seems at +0/-10 they remove the torrent. How thoughtful ;)

Twilight Support
    http://www.twilightgames.com

P.S. It's kind of curious though... when you think of it. In order to get a torrent link removed you have to prove you're the copyright owner, that the content is in violation of *their* content rules, provide your personal email address and phone number, a sworn statement as to the accuracy of the notice and so on. But to posta torrent there are no requirements at all. I mean, nothing; not even the requirement to prove you exist as a human being! Seems a bit lobsided to me ;)

19. svero

It is risky. And I can't blame companies for using a standard mechanic (to some extent though I find in certain cases it tends to go a bit too far). But it's tough on more than one level. Not only are you unsure if the idea will catch on, you also will face skepticism when trying to distribute. If you had a really poslished hidden object game a few months ago there'd be no trouble convincing sites to take it. If you have something totally new. They may take it if it looks solid, but you may have to do a little more convincing. It's not an automatic "Yes we know this will sell because we have 10 of them and they make money for us"

I think maybe games with new mechanics almost shouldn't be too polished because you want to see if the idea catches on before spending 2 yrs polishing the details around it. It won't matter how lush your production is if people don't like the concept or even the twist you made on an old concept.

Another way of looking at, is... if you don't have a new mechanic then what are you going to do with an old one? You need to add the cave in Zimbabwe because that's all you've got. Other than that it's the same game isn't it? If you released it without all the trimmings surrounding it it's not really clear why people would play yours over another. So that sort of release, in a way, becomes all about the trimmings and not the main game. It's all about your presentation, and your execution, and your spin on the little details like how things bounce and land and swish and so on.

20. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

I played this one until time out, and I like it very much. Very cool, and could be much better, if it has story mode or something else like that.

Anyway, I purchased Temple & game became easier. I thought I'd meet something more difficult, so little bit strange.