New Game : Jump Jump Jelly Reactor

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by svero, Jul 7, 2008.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hrmm... well we forced people into arcade first time through because we wanted to control what they selected and put them through tutorials etc... Ie.. if they got the regular menu at the start maybe they'd pick a more advanced mode right away. But maybe I should rethink this if its giving a bad impression, because I was in fact worried that that might be the case.

2. Nexic

Indie Author

When I said fluff I meants things like story line, mini-games etc. The kind of superficial stuff that really shouldn't make a difference but seems help sales.

3. svero

Theres no story line but there's a ton of mini games etc... in factory mode. We made it accessible a bit earlier on. Not sure what else i can do.

4. AnthemAudio

Original Member

I dig the game, I played it quite a bit, but started to wear off it's charm around level 7'ish. Not sure why, maybe got tired. But I came home thinking I wanted to spend time with this game, and then ran out of steam.

And maybe it's just the "audio guy" in me but I want to hear the lines coming from the rocks. Rather, I had the voice I pictured playing in MY head when I read them and I wish more people would hear them.

Or at least grumbly gibberish rock talk. I think more people would connect even further and perhaps invest more time into playing.

Oh how I wish more people would hear the voices in my head.

-Tony

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

voices can make or break a game - imagine really annoying ones. Anyway I quite liked the one liners.

Yeah I urge a rethink of the title screen.

Perhaps you somehow need to let the player know that these modes CAN be unlocked by showing them dimmed out on the title screen with a description on mouse over. Gives them something to aim for. Or even give them a 1-level taster of some of the modes (the best ones). There's no way you can combine all modes into a mega STORY mode which gives the player the feeling of seeing loads of content (providing it's not too bewildering) is there?

6. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

This is a good idea. I think that's exactly why my initial first impression was a bit underwhelming because the game looked limited on startup. I also think it's better to blur out the other modes but keep them visible so the user knows there's a lot of content.

I'm going off memory but when I was getting started the first time I also remember there not being any music for one of the screens. It felt weird to have total silence.

7. Applewood

Just played it. I'm not big into these casual games but I really liked this one as (for me) it did something new.

I thought the polish level was pretty decent tbh, but then I'm not au fait with what others are doing in this space. It certainly didn't feel in any way cheap or unfinished/rushed so I guess the other stuff people are talking about is pure fluff. It was nicely done all round, I thought.

One comment is that I found the graphics (all of it) a bit too flat. I would've liked to see some stronger specular and more contrasty shadowy areas iyswim. That's just personal opinion I guess, but jellY is meant to look wet ;)

And absolutely definitely don't hide any buttons. If you can't click em, grey em out. You can't feel tempted to learn more about something you don't know exists!

Keep it up.

8. svero

Well.. OK. I've decided to take a few days and adjust the presentation of the levels and different play modes with something more meta-gamee in the style of more recent match hits. Seems, while people are pretty keen on the core game-play, but too many people are confused, or don't get a really good feel for all the game has to offer. Will re-post when I'm done.

9. Davis

Davis New Member

I'm not a fan of match-3 style games at all, but this is a nice twist on an old concept. I really like to see innovation in what I (falsely) assumed was a nearly-tapped genre. Good job!

10. svero

Thanks. I appreciate the innovation comments because I really feel like I'm sticking my neck out here with an untested unproven mechanic. I could have just copied Big Kahuna or Jewel Quest and worked entirely on meta game for a pretty safe return and a lot less dev time. Hopefully it will be worthwhile.

So yeah.. I do think it's something new. At least I haven't seen it exactly before either. I know of course a few games have similar elements like bookworm, magic match, cash cow etc.. but at the end of the day this is, so far as I know, still a unique approach.

11. mooktown

Original Member

Wow, I didn't find the production values lacking at all. Great game, top animation, love the way the ingame tutorials are inferred to the player, and some cool names in the credits pages to boot!

Good work! :cool:

12. angie1313

angie1313 New Member

I liked it...
    I found myself playing it for a good 10 minutes and I didnt even realize it was that long. :)

13. Aisle5

Indie Author

I like the game too. I don't play many matching games but this one kept my interest. It should do well for you.

14. svero

Thanks everyone. We're still working on it a bit... Some changes to the UI mostly to make it feel more "deep" -- should be done any day now and then we'll start pushing it out there if the new version is reasonably well received.

- S

15. svero

Ok. New beta version here... Definitely not completely final, we're still working, but I'd be interested in feedback. Particularly from people that felt the game was fun but lacked extra bits to do etc... It's essentially the same game but the modes and extra play mini games and so on are flattened out with a little town interface and some shopping meta game stuff...

http://www.twilightgames.com/betas/cooties/jellyreactor10.6.5.1.exe

- S

16. JGOware

Indie Author

The game ran sluggish on my system when there was alot of activity going on. But I use an Intel board. ;) Still it was playable at all times. When the game ended it went to your website with a screen shot of the game at top. Silly me, I initially thought the list of all those games were included if you bought the game! :) lol...

5 out of 5. Great stuff. wow... ;)

17. princec

Indie Author

I dunno about all those extra modes or anything - I never really understood why anyone would play them in the first place if the core game mechanic is nice enough: which in this case it is. Every time I play it I end up playing for at least 30 minutes.

I really like the "frenzy" stages between the levels - great fun solving the puzzle in a short time.

Cas :)

18. Grey Alien

Indie Author

The title screen is better on first play now with all the options fully shown. The map and purchasing meta game is probably a good move and may result in better conversion. The map looks a bit plain though. I know it's because it's not decorated, but it seems a bit plain and not as cartoony as the rest of the game. Also I got 44 coins after level 1 (I've played it before so tried to make big cascading drops) but I notice that a new mode can only be unlocked after 250 coins. Is that 5-6 levels away or is it possible to get it sooner as I'd introduce one of these sooner in the game so players can feel progress.

I was initially confused on the map when I clicked Play and nothing happened because I had to select a location first in the top left.

The shop may not be clearly different enough from the standard map interface. Perhaps colour the interface different? Dunno.

When I got to level 2, nothing happened on the map (no progress shown, I don't know how many levels there are). Is that because the map is ONLY to unlock new modes or something? It's different from other games but not what I was expecting. Do the different modes have different level sets? If so can you have a path on the map for each different set of levels for each mode and the idea to get the ultimate trophy is to complete all the levels for each mode? I didn't play any more (just giving it a quick test to see the difference from the earlier beta) cos I'm real busy.

Anyway, it's still a good game. good luck with it!

19. svero

Well its more in the style of bejeweled or chuzzle. Ie... play level after level till you cant. There's no progression in the sense you're talking about except maybe for the factory location which someone should be able to reach in the demo if they play a full game of the first location. Making a few changes to try and make that clearer..

20. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yep OK I see. It's probably too late to change this, and it would be interesting to see how it does as is, but imho the "play level after level till you cant" is a bit old-skool and used to be seen on many single-screen games. These days people seem to expect some kind of progression (+map), at least I do... Even say Slingo Quest has the same layout on each screen, but you do make progression in the game.