New Game : Jump Jump Jelly Reactor

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by svero, Jul 7, 2008.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hey All,

We've just put up our new game Jump Jump Jelly Reactor. This is a soft launch on our site only so please don't do anything to spread the game around at this point. We want to control the release slowly. I'd be especially interested to hear if anyone has any serious bugs/technical issues running the game.

If you want to try it and for more info please see...

http://www.twilightgames.com/jellyreactor/jellyreactor_info.htm

[​IMG]

- S

2. SteveZ

Indie Author

Wow, this game is very enjoyable!

The play mechanics resembles magic match/cradle of persia - but the cool thing is longer chains actually has other benefits, like creating super fat jellies (my personal best was 21 jelly strong) which can also crush other fat jellys to create other chain combos - by then, and along with the humorous tutorials, I am sold.

Best of luck with this game!

I played 5 levels - ran smoothly, no bugs found as of yet.

-Steve Z.

3. Cray

Cray New Member

I love the art style you went with. Those little jelly blobs are adorable. :)

4. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

That was fun! I'm usually not really into match-3s, but that was enjoyable and the cut-scenes made me smile.

Also got to level 5 and didn't have any problems. Though when the rocks first appeared in level 2, I wasn't quite sure if they were friend or foe, or how to kill them. In fact, at first I was trying to help them get to the bottom faster since I thought collecting them might be good. Doh!

But other than that little confusion on my part everything was fine. I'll be playing more later tonight when I have more time. :)

5. Nexic

Indie Author

Gave it a go for a few levels. Match-3 really isn't my cup of tea but I really enjoyed the new mechanic (I haven't seen it before anyway). The presentation is brilliant, reminding me a lot of Dr. Mario. Plus I really loved the buy nag screen, probably the best upsell I've seen yet.

The only downside is that it's seems a bit lightweight compared to the top portal games of late in terms of fluff. Though I think for a lot of people the new gameplay will make up for that.

#5 Nexic, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. Chris Evans

I kinda of agree with Nexic. The production level seems top-notch for casual games circa '05-06. But it seems a few notches below the uber glossy casual games that dominate the top charts on portals these days. Still, I hope the game mechanic and the clever cut-scenes/characters make up for this.

7. hicham

hicham New Member

I have enjoyed this game, thanks

8. MattWorden

MattWorden New Member

Congrats on the release ... and nicely done.

I played through level 5 and had no technical problems nor saw any continuity problems.

My machine (if it's helpful): Dell Laptop with WinXP Pro, 1 GHz P3 Mobile, 512 MB RAM, Radeon Mobility (16MB)

Good luck with the game.

-Matt

9. svero

Just curious. By this do you mean smoke and sparkles and flashing lights etc..? That kind of "fluff"?

10. tolik

Original Member

11. Chris Evans

Well my trial just expired. :) Both my wife and I had fun playing it. I like how it's not just mindless chain popping, it really starts getting strategic in the later levels. It strikes a good balance between being able to control the playing field and random chance. The game feels like a console puzzler from the the early 90s. I'm tempted to buy it actually. I was a big fan of Dr. Mario and this game gave me a similar vibe.

12. svero

Yeah it varies a bit between more strategic play and lighter play. Karma mode is pretty light. Arcade goes from light to strategic. Puzzle mode is pure strategy/puzzle solving. Factory mode is a mid term goals kind of mode with time based goal levels. Like make 10 super jellies in 2 minutes etc... With a few special sorts of levels not seen elsewhere.

13. chanon

Indie Author

Congrats!!! :)
    Hope you get tons of sales!

Comment: I think the level 10 requirement for Factory mode is too high. Maybe it would be better to have more than 1 mode already unlocked / more easily accessible so players can see and feel the variety?

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I've tried it too, and while production values are slightly lower than the topgames in portals, I didn't notice that really, because the gameplay is so fun and innovative. Great job :)

15. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Just downloading now. Maybe what it lacks is some kind of meta-game or extra "content" that most big portal games have these days?

16. lakibuk

Indie Author

That's what i was thinking, too. The core game mechanism is good. But there seems to be something missing.

17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

OK just played it. I like it! I'm familiar with the drag mechanic (think that it could do with some kind of click sound when you hold the mouse down on the first jelly in a chain) but the expanding jellies is nice and new (reminds me of Big Fish Slots on the BFG Community site, have you seen that?). Graphics are good, sorta Mario like (everything has those cute little eyes). I like the cut scenes explaining things although I didn't understand the first one because I had no idea what that beam thing was over on the right, but I guessed a bit later on (I guess that's OK).

So back to my meta game thing. I'm not saying that a game NEEDS a plot or meta-game other than trophy collection but most games do have those things these days and they are perceived as extra content by the potential buyer. I guess you do have multiple modes. Anyone done any research into if players groove to that because it doesn't personally float my boat.

I found the in-game options to be confusing. I thought menu would bring up a sub-menu with "resume / options / exit to title" rather than that options screen.

Anyway the mechanics are fun and it's cool that it develops into a more puzzle-like game around level 4-5 when you release you cannot let those rocks fill up the beam. Nice one. Good luck.

btw, lol @ "Make Jellies Cry"

#17 Grey Alien, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  18. svero

Ok. We've been posting several little revisions for reported bugs and small changes based on the comments. Latest version has a different locking mechanism. Still plays arcade first (for new players), but Factory mode is open after Arcade level 5 and Karma is unlocked at the start. Beating Karma level 5 opens Puzzle mode. A number of other small bug fixes etc. I'm not sure if this new version will work with old player profiles from previous so if you still have demo time and wanted to try it as it is now best to create a new player profile.

19. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Something else I thought of: When I first loaded the game the title screen just had this one mode and when I clicked it I had to enter my name. Later on after I died it had 4 modes + options/credits etc. Why weird the options/credits etc available when it was first loaded. It felt like the game was really limited (i.e. not a good impression) with only one button to click on the title page.

20. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

I found that too as I wanted to turn the music down but had no option to until i started the game. I also found that when I did get to the volume screen I could not find the "apply" button - it was there alright but buggered if I could see it as it was detached from the window the sliders were in.