New Game: Grand Strategy, an online Risk Clone

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by bryanbr, Aug 3, 2006.

1. bryanbr

bryanbr New Member

I have written an online game called Grand Strategy. It is an online, web-based version of Risk, with a number of additional game options.

Check it out there:

http://denizengames.com/grandstrategy/login.faces

I'm interested in any feedback you guys can give. What do Indie developers do for advertising?

2. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

My fist suggestion.. offer an easy guest login where I don't have to register to just try the game. Feel free to limit it in some way, but let me in there without forcing me to fill in forms and answer emails etc..

I don't know how other people are but the chance of me creating an account and logging into something I don't really know anything about is somewhere around 0%.

3. jankoM

Indie Author

Yes... and show some screenshots or videos

4. bryanbr

bryanbr New Member

Well, I'm not sure that videos of someone playing Risk are going to be too enticing, but I certainly should add some screenshots.

I have planned on adding a page that is prominently linked from the login page that has game rules and screenshots. Kind of an introduction and history to the game of Risk. Of course, I have help pages available from the game but those don't help someone who is deciding to take the plunge.

5. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm lazy

I agree w/Svero, please don't make me type in stuff to get to the free demo. Nice looking screenshot, wish I could zoom in on it. What does this have that Lux & Conquest don't?

6. bryanbr

bryanbr New Member

Well I've never played Lux, just looked, and it is fairly impressive. Althought I think they have gone so far down alternate game play routes that it can hardly be called Risk anymore.

Conquest seems fairly basic, so Grand Strategy offers a good deal more:

Variety of maps
    Team play
    Variety of game styles (sequential and simultaneous)
    Game options for fortification

Biggest single difference is that GS is played in a web browser. Its a fairly elaborate Ajax application. Probably the most advanced Ajax web game that I have ever seen.

7. bryanbr

bryanbr New Member

I have re-orged the frontpage: put in a Getting Started link with a better screenshot and a Hot To Play section.

Thanks for the input! Hopefully, this will allow new users an introduction to the game before playing.

Still working on the demo mode.

8. Sean Doherty

Original Member

You wrote an entire Risk game without even playing Lux because you think it has an alternate game play? That is a pretty big assumption.:eek:

9. bryanbr

bryanbr New Member

No, that really had nothing to do with the rationale for writing Grand Strategy. I wrote GS for the following reasons:

1. I enjoy creating new stuff.
    2. I like to write and host online games. I enjoy the technical challenges. (See www.merchantempires.com, I wrote the original version of that game).
    3. I wanted to learn Ajax programming.
    4. I love the game of Risk. I want to be able to add more game play styles all of my own creation and those found around the web.
    5. I like giving stuff to people for free. Is Lux free?

10. bryanbr

bryanbr New Member

I am interested in what possibilities are out there for free or very low cost advertising for web games such as Grand Strategy.

Any ideas?