NEW ARCADE/RPG/COMEDY GAME IN DEV: Retro Knight

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by noahbwilson, Nov 1, 2016.

1. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

I'm not a gigantic fan of mobile games but this is something I would actually go out of my way to play. Looks rather great really, though I suggest you press forward with this.

2. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I will say mobile is a pain in the ass when it comes to programming a 4 or 8 directional pad. Left/Right, sure that's easy, but I fought the controls for a long time to get it right. I settled for 4-directional with the option to go to 8 in the settings. The attack buttons are also going to be customizable (akin to Zelda: Link's Awakening). You can assign anything to Button 1 and anything to Button 2: two swords, a sword and a bomb, two bags of throwing stars. Whatever.

I am indeed pressing forward, and this game will pave the way for some other top-down games I have due for late 2017. I hope this will be available to play in April. I will release it with 30 Levels, and I can continue to add an addition 70 after the game launches (without having to update the App).

3. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Day 21. Some bad guys and attacks added. Still sound mixing and adding more monster effects, but its a good start. Trying to weed out rare glitches.

4. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Cruising right along. Day 28!

New stuff!
    - Mine Carts!
    - More walking enemies. Some shoot.
    - Flying Enemies! (using placeholder graphics still)
    - Zoom in/out
    - Lava
    - Slashable bushes/mushrooms
    - Splash effect
    - New weapons coming soon
    - First tease of treasure chests

5. noahbwilson

Indie Author

No new video this week, but a lot of cool things have been added.

I am focusing on building elements for each of the 8 "worlds" in the game now that a lot of the fundamental mechanics are done. Like a Zelda game, each world also has a specific "item" you can find and keep forever.

SPOILER ALERT. :p

World 1 : Mushroom Plains (Super Mario Bros.) : Special Item = Fire Gloves (Fire Flower): Throw fire balls. Melt Ice.
    Trying to stick with Goobmas, Shyguys, and Spinys for the most part. Not going to make Koopas, but if I do, they will be very though. Also planning on added a Lakitu enemy. Maybe a Buzzy Beetle. I did make all the underground areas match the Mario 'blue bricks', and added pipes you can walk through as well. Writing a few music tracks to have a more Mario feel while also using some very Retro Knight tracks.

World 2: Twilight Forest (Legend of Zelda): Special Item = Bow: Shoot arrows. Hit certain switches from afar.
    A majority of this area is based off of the Lost Woods from Link To The Past. I did copy some of their art, but not a lot. Don't tell anyone. However, each level within this world will try and parody a specific Zelda game or part of a Zelda game people are familiar with. You will find a 'master sword'. You will go into a Water Temple, and there is even going to be a Spirit Tracks level. Chus, Stalfos, Iron Knuckles, Bats, Octorocs, and Moblins all planned.

World 3: Balloon Island (Balloon Fight / Joust): Special Item = Lava Boots: Walk on Lava.
    Because these two games are not that big, I merged them in to one tropical island/lava cave themed level. When you are outside and walking along beachs/bluffs, it is Balloon Fight complete with the big scary fish and floating Balloon monsters who toss bombs. When you are inside the caves, there is lots of lava and Joust guys on ostriches. Also because these games didn't have much to them, I'll be keeping the stuff from the Mario and Zelda levels like Goombas, Chus, Bats, and more. Cliffs, bridges, fire pits, and more!

World 4: BoomBoom Desert (Bomberman): Special Item = Bomb bag: Can use/carry bombs.
    I love Bomberman and I wanted a place for it in the game. The desert idea seemed to be the best idea. I am trying to program the bombs to blow up like they do in Bomberman, and I have successfully done this in my other game Six Pack Man, so it is feasible. I am trying to pick and choose which Bomberman powerups will make it into Retro Knight, and sadly I don't think there are very much. The enemies in Bomberman are very generic and don't stand out, so I won't be adding too many of them.

World 5: Megamore Mines (Mega Man): Special Item = Rock Blaster: Can shoot rocks (that look like they came from Mega Man)
    I don't have much yet for this World, but its gonna be one of my favorites. While I am trying to add a lot of robots and I have a lot of great "Mega Man" music to use, there is also going to be a strong emphasis on caves, mine carts, and steampunk themes. I'm trying to think of more great Mega Man stuff to add, but I've already established the powerups for the game, so I cant use too much new stuff. There are some Mega Man specific powerups I am saving for this point.

World 6: Bubblescale Jungle (Bubble Bobble): Special Item = Dragon Armor: Makes you look like Bub from Bubble Bobble, can walk through poison water.
    Bubble Bobble's various foods are already all over Retro Knight, so there won't be too much you haven't seen before. A few enemies from Bubble Bobble like the wind up toys and Beluga are going to make it in. There is also a weapon called the Bubble Blaster that you can find that does exactly what the bubbles do in Bubble Bobble (traps enemies, allows you to pop them). The theme will remain a dark green/purple jungle full of toxic water that you'll need the Dragon Armor to go through.

World 7: Castle VonVampire (Castlevania): Special Item = Whip: Similar to Hookshot in Zelda, but looks like it is from Castlevania.
    Pretty self explanatory: Scary castle full of zombies and ghosts and monsters. Not much developed here.

World 8: Chozoid Mountain (Metroid): Special Item = Arm Cannon: Shoot strong blasts.
    This is going to be both a snow and lava level that will actually be an alien crash site. What would happen if aliens crashed in medieval times? Let's find out!

Anyway... that's in my head. Now its written out. Plugging away!

6. BenjiBenjamin123

BenjiBenjamin123 New Member

It's a good job, thanks!

noahbwilson likes this.
  7. noahbwilson

Indie Author

8. noahbwilson

Indie Author

So I'm reworking the 'concept' of the game (not the gameplay, no no no) to be a bit more of a sandbox game. I think the original design was too linear, and I want people to be able to just wander around and do stuff. I also want to be able to add random things to the game. So now, this new concept is both Sandbox AND Linear (like GTA: you can just cruise around doing what you want, or do a linear mission).

Check it. Lemme lay it out in text cuz I dont have screenshots right now.

So each "AREA" consists if 100 "ZONES" (10x10 grid). Each AREA in the game parodies a Retro Game (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man) while still being original and adopting a 'medieval' theme. Each AREA also has 10 LEVELS. A LEVEL consists of traveling from a specified ZONE to another ZONE (probably across the 100 Zone map). To complete an AREA, you must complete the 10 LEVELS. Or ... for grinding purposes, you can NOT do a LEVEL and instead just wander around the huge grid, killing monsters, collecting powerups, and finding secrets otherwise closed off if you were playing a LEVEL.

Sounds neat? I think so.

This video is not new, but it still shows off what a LEVEL might be like.

9. noahbwilson

Indie Author