Need translations for game texts in different langauges

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)' started by Michael Flad, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Hi there,

I need translations for the texts of a mobile game - should be very easy for any native speaker of a langauge and could be some relaxing break from working on other stuff ;-)

It's about 6kb of text in English - so not that big of a task, I guess 1-2 hours of work.
    As a base for the translation we have English and German texts.

The languages I need are - if I can't find someone for each of these I have to use a agency anyway and that's what I like to avoid as they usually don't have a clue about the very general topic they translate.

French
    Dutch
    Italian
    Polish

Optionally (I can do without these but would be happy to have them too)
    Turkish
    Czech

Anyone intersted just send me a message with your offer. You should be able to accept the payment via paypal as I guess that's the most simple and effective way.

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I used to use some very reliable translators that translated for a fraction of the cost an agency would have charged. They were all from the languages department of a university somewhere in Southern England and I got perfect translations in French, German, Spanish and Italian.

I know this isn't quite what you asked for but its another avenue to explore before shelling out for an agency.

3. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Thanks for your answer. One additional interest was to know that the translators do know about the general topic and terminology of games.

But nevertheless a great suggestion - might try it for some additional languages.

I already found someone for French and Italian with the help of this forum.
    So maybe if anyone's interested in doing the Dutch or Polish versions just send me a message.

4. Elder

Elder New Member

My French is more than excellent (it's my native spoken language), I can be of a huge help. I've already done a huge translation job for a commercial RPG.

Please PM me if you're interested.

5. Vimy

Vimy New Member

My native language is Dutch. Pm me if you need my help. :)

edit:
    Nvm, I pm'd you ;)

#5 Vimy, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  6. Pietro

Pietro New Member

I could help with English to Polish translation. I PM'd you.

- Piotr

7. Fabio

Original Member

How do you know it was "perfect translation"?

I see a lot of stupid translation towards my native language (Italian, not really a simple language) even in books. Some are really ridicolous, made by professional translators who though don't have a deep knowledge of the matter they're handling.

Now go figure an automatic translator.. I wouldn't trust a pro human unless I knew he's meticolous, go figure a stupid program!!

I think it's better to have no support for other languages than a translation which at times is ridicolous or plain off track.

BTW to Michael: Alessia sent me a copy of her work, I must say it's absolutely excellent, as always.

8. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

Is it feasible to have two translations? Then compare the two for similarities and differences, and ask native speakers to see which is more clear? I agree with Fabio. Poor, unclear translations are awful and will really hurt your sales.

Also, there are several, localized variations of French. Translations from people in Paris, Quebec, Switzerland and Algeria will probably have some noticeable differences.

9. Artinum

Original Member

Unfortunately, Indieproofing only checks texts translated into English, not from it. Ideally you need the equivalent - a reasonably well educated native speaker of that language that can check the translated text and amend it as required. They don't need to be skilled enough in English to translate it, just to talk to you about it!