Need some help with what to do with my Idea

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by RoastedBearcan, Jun 11, 2016.

?
  1. 2D RPG

2. 3D RPG

3. First person adventure

4. Text based adventure

5. Top Down

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RoastedBearcan

RoastedBearcan New Member

Hey Folks.
    Ive spent a long writing a story for a game and I'm looking for the best way to present it in game.
    I want to implement A major emphasis on lore and backstory as the story is long, mind-bending and in depth.
    What I want to know is:
    What engine to use?
    2D or 3D?
    And should it be an RPG game.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to presenting the game to everyone here.

2. Gleb Cherkayev

Gleb Cherkayev New Member

It would help somewhat if we knew a bit more about the story itself, what you have beside the story, and what skills/resources you possess.

But most probably, the only realistic option is to turn it into a choose-your-own-adventure game, provided that the structure of the story is suitable.
    Purely textual. I am pretty sure that there are plenty of engines for building them available around. E.g. this one, have never touched it, but I've seen a few games on Steam apparently made using it.

Good luck, have fun.

3. RoastedBearcan

Is there any good engine for a sort of 2d First person adventure

4. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

You could also try RPG Maker. It's full of pre-made assets and relatively easy to get into. You're stuck with the jRPG genre but it's a good medium to pass on a story.

Also, design-wise, be wary of explaining things too much. Show, don't tell, is always the best way to go with games if you don't want your audience to be bored.

I've actually developed a very short title as a way to experiment with RPG Maker years back. You can download and try it for free : http://gamesandmen.blogspot.ca/2016/01/download-and-play-julies-quest-rpg.html

5. RoastedBearcan

Idk about RPG Maker because the game involves alot of time travel of many periods of time and Isnt it a paid engine

6. kevintrepanier

Yes, it's a paid engine but it's very cheap ($80). If you want to invest a little, you can buy extra assets bundle that can cover different eras. Or you can start with what's in it, make an episode and then buy assets later for another episode. Consider that you're probably going to spend maybe 15 to 30 hours building just the first hour of the game so don't aim too big (it's a common newbie's error to want to make big things right from the start).

I see from your profile page that you are very young so even this low price point might be too much for you. Just remember that it's a tool and that it will allow you to learn much and go through several trial and errors that would cost you much more time if you were to build them from scratch. And the in-engine graphics are really nice and fun to work with.

Of course you can try another path like text-based adventure, as you mentioned. It's good experience also.

7. RoastedBearcan

Any good text based game engines

8. kevintrepanier

I've never tried any but I recently stumbled upon the work of Anna Anthropy. She recommends Twine and Puzzlescript. Her homepage : http://auntiepixelante.com

9. contraboy

contraboy New Member

For RPGs I actually prefer 2D as RPG is more about how to solve the game then the actual graphics or what not. Have you ever played a super classic game called King's Quest 6? The graphic engine designer was actually my math tutor for a while. No joke! If it's something like that, then 2D would be killer. Love to hear some details though. No judgement here :)

#9 contraboy, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  10. Legomen

Legomen New Member

The game sounds like it would be good but I agree that you should tell the lore.

11. noahbwilson

Indie Author

What do you want people to do in the game? Explore? Fight? Search? Get through obstacles? What is the emphasis on? What do you want to players to see? What do you not want to waste your time with?

Personally... as a retro gamer... 2D top-down is a great way to make an RPG, whether it is Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Legend of Zelda, or Star Tropics.

And also personally... I'd bust that out in Flash/Animate in like 2 months... but that's just me.

12. Pat Gamble

Pat Gamble New Member

You are being very vague with your description, but I'm sure you're worried about people stealing your idea. Noahbwilson i think hit the nail on the head, you really need to step back and see how you'd like to play through this story. How in grossed in the game do you want to be and will the graphics take away or give to that desire? Do you feel a first person perspective loans to feeling more immersed, or will third person give better gameplay? Is there a narrator telling the story, or do you learn the story through played experiences?

After that you'll have to decide what resources you have, and the ones you don't have, go and find. People are willing to work with you if you have a strong concept and a willingness to work hard and lead people to produce it. Good luck!

13. GameDevil

GameDevil New Member

Action role-playing hack and slash, like Diablo.

14. Scoper

Indie Author

It appears that your game concept is based entirely on the story. The genre best suited for this is Text Adventure, since it consists of nothing but story.
    Never add more gameplay features than you need just because you can. Especially not in the early stages of development. It will only reduce the likelihood that you will ever finish. Always begin with a Minimum Viable Product. You can always add more features later.

15. GameDevil

GameDevil New Member

Although I agree that you shouldn't add gameplay features just because you can, I disagree with making a game in a style that isn't very successful. How many recent text adventure games can you name and claim they've had a lot of success? The reason I recommend a role-playing hack and slash, like Diablo, is because the genre is popular and provides players with lots to do aside from follow the story all the way through. You can add all sorts of goodies and collectible in your game and give the player lots to do along the way. With a text adventure, you mostly only have a linear path and there's absolutely nothing else to do, other than revisit areas and look at things for the same commentary. It gives the feeling of being stuck.

As for game engine, I recommend using Unity because it's free and a great way for someone to start. And for 2D or 3D, that really depends on your skill set. They require an equal amount of work. 2D is quicker with backgrounds but a lot slower with animations, and vice versa. You can get the same look and feel out of either one.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

16. Scoper

Indie Author

Inkle studios have become very succesful with text adventure games - the "Sorcery!" series and "80 days".