Need feedback for upcoming demo for indie game Fear of Floating

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by nenenenad, Dec 30, 2009.

1. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

Hi everyone, we are making a small multiplayer game called Fear of Floating. :eek:
    Since it is easier to show than to describe, see the video below to become familiar with the basic game mechanics:

watch the video here

Some of the graphics in video is obsolete, there are 2 shots with a bit more recent graphics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are preparing a small demo really soon that will include only single player levels. We will use a feedback from that demo to figure what people think of it. Info that you guys provide here is kind of a pre-demo feedback.
    So, what are your first impressions of this game?
    Would you play it?
    Does it remind you of any other game?
    ..and any other answer I haven't asked a question to is welcome. :)

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

It looks awsome.

JC

3. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Love it!!! and clever use of the wind in the physics engine:)

Are there differnt gameplay elements like multiple things to control or anything?

Darren.

4. Sue

Sue New Member

It looks great. Yes I would play it and it reminds of World of Goo, although the game play is obviously different. Definitely looks like a winner to me!

5. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

Hey, thanks for kind reception of the game. Feedback means a lot to me.

@ Dyno kid - Hah, the winds look really nice, but they need a bit of rework, they are not as predictable as much i would want them to be.
    Multiple things to control is possible even at this stage, but for the time being I'm not planning to incorporate it, because it requires some mad mouse precision skills. But if it turns out that there are many hardcore gamers who find it too easy to control only one avatar, it will be a piece of cake to incorporate it (and more fun and challenging if you ask me)
    Good suggestion, thanks!

@Sue - then, I'm counting on you as soon as demo hits the net :)

6. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. The new video is coming these days, and we're eager to hear your comments and suggestions.

7. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

FoF video #2

Thanks everyone for the kind words..just a quick follow up, a video that shows some new great stuff in game. At this point it is still a bit unclear how the game progress (campaign) will look like, so feel free to suggest anything you think is suitable. As always comments and critics are more than welcome!

8. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

There was a problem with replying on this forum...so now instantly 5 of my replies popped up :)

#8 nenenenad, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. TimS

Original Member

Looks very nice!

It visually does remind a little bit of WoG... as well as a bunch of other 'lets make our graphics black silhouettes' games that have been flowing lately -- but neither of those two take away from your lovely visual style whatsoever.

From the video the game itself reminds me a bit more of something like Aquaria... the 'swimming', the switches, the enemies... that type of gameplay stuff just looks like it might FEEL Aquaria-esque (though I realize the control scheme to be rather different).

I would certainly give a demo a whirl, though I'm not really a member of the game's target audience (i.e. it doesn't look like the type of game I would play enough to buy). That said, get yourself to the Wii and the iPhone!

-Tim

10. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

Yeah aquaria..in our search for simpler control scheme we created one scheme where player's avatar runs toward the mouse (rather than away, as it is now), but then we realized "hey..this is aquaria..lets ditch that" :) I'm glad you like it, even if it's not your kind of game..Wii and iphone...there is a little problem with precision (since this game is all about it) and wii and iphone can't match precision of a mouse...perhaps with modified control scheme we could hit those as well...

11. serbocop

serbocop New Member

I hope that you gonna release FoF this year ... Game have great potential and could be new "indie big hit" ... Speed up EIPIX :)

12. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

Hey everyone, I need some further help from creative mind on forums...this time, it is about naming our main character.

His current name if Fofislav. His name is the result of a thinking process that lasted whole 5 seconds. It was made up at the moment when I was creating facebook account for him, and i literally needed ANYTHING, so i just wrote down the very first thing that crossed my mind...as the time passed, nothing smart came along to replace it..and i dont want him to stay stuck with this name...that's where you come in...current name consists of:

"FoF" - fear of floating
    "islav" - a very common sufix in Serbian names (since, my dev company is from Serbia)

It sounds archaic and a bit stupid (to me), but i wonder how does it sound to people who don't originate from around here. For instance: Vladimir is really a common name around here, and yet it found it's way deep into western culture (Vladimirs in cinematography usually pose as bad guys )..who knows, maybe it will turn out to be bull's eye after all.

feel free to refresh your memory of Fofislav here (youtube video)

so, any thoughts? you know..on his current name, new name...the weather :)

13. Karja

Original Member

Personally, I think that the character is way too cute for Fofislav. Why not just Fofi, or Foofi? (You might even mention somewhere as trivia that his real name is Fofislav.)

But I guess that my view might differ from others', considering that I'm from Sweden (non-native English speaker)...and that my name is Miroslav. ;)

14. chewiban

Original Member

Fofislav sounds great (like Fofi's love :)).

15. Bmc

Bmc New Member

the islav doesn't sound well in English

what about Fluf?

16. rcburrell

rcburrell New Member

The gameplay looks enjoyable, especially from the latest video you posted. I like really the push/pull dynamic of the controls - doing that would seem to alleviate the the tedium that would come from having to click constantly to blow the character in whichever direction. It's little things like that what will make the game physically enjoyable to play, apart from just the visual aesthetics of it.

The game mode (objectives, obstacles, etc) reminds me a lot of Star Cruiser, which has a keyboard set of game controls as opposed to cursor interaction.

The game world if obviously dark, so I'd shy away from a name that is over cutesy. I like the Serbian suffix; not certain about the prefix.

17. nenenenad

nenenenad New Member

Hey, Fluf sounds kinda OK, but i find it a bit too commercial (at least at this point)...the game is all about fighting the system, about fighting for one's freedom from the evil world that revolves around money and power. The character should be inspired with matrix' Neo, or tv show Prisoner, or any other for that matter where it's "one man against the system".
    Anyway, this is a good start...now, can we try something that doesn't start with "F" as well? :)

@serbocop: thanks for support fellow endangered species aka serbian game developer..good luck with that remarkable work of yours! :)

18. Bmc

Bmc New Member

Durtt (mispelling of dirt)

19. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Flavius (pronounced similarly to obvious)

Phobe (like phobia... meaning fear)

20. Bmc

Bmc New Member

maybe Stryfe

strife
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: struggle, battle