Need cowboy insults!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by ggambett, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Yossarian

Original Member

"It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, son, and you're wearing dog-bone underwear."

2. Andy

Original Member

Holly sh**!

Now I get why mom warned me to not visit any indie game developers forums. At all. :D

3. FlySim

Indie Author

A couple from my fav western:

Don´t piss down my back and tell me it´s raining.

Dyin' ain't much of a living boy.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

4. princec

Indie Author

"If you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
    --The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Cas :)

5. BarrySlisk

Original Member

"My mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea that you are laughing at him. But if you apologize, like I know you are going to, I might be able to persuade him...that you really didn't mean it".

Clint Eastwood in one of the "Fistfull of.." movies.

I know it's too long, but it's a grrreat scene...

6. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

In this context yellow is associated with cowardice, for example in many rennisance paintings Judas (the guy who betrayed Jesus) wears a yellow robe. Western culture has long associated the color yellow with cowardice, however it has many other meanings as well. The yellow ribbon indicating support for the troops for example.

The idea behind calling someone yellow actually has nothing to do with their skin color.

and astroboy RAWKS!

7. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Exactly. Calling someone yellow (or "yellah" as we stereotypically portray cowboy-era folk as pronouncing it) was to call someone a coward. Often-times the phrase "Yellow-bellied" was also supposedly used. I think it was supposedly used to provoke someone into a gunfight with you, which according to many cities' laws at the time were legal, as long as both people were willing to participate. Otherwise, if one person shot another, it was just murder.

-Hiro_Antagonist

8. ErikH2000

Original Member

Gabriel, you might want to be careful about using derogatory remarks along the lines of "you are so unimpressive or weak that I will compare you to a female". A handful of those have been submitted in this thread, and I don't point this out to call those people chauvinist or whatever. I just think using them in a game should be avoided to keep from upsetting people, particularly women.

-Erik

9. MrPhil

Original Member

Not all insults, but some strange sayings I've heard that might inspire some dialog.

"You shoot like a pigs tail"
    "If wishes where horses then beggars would ride and frogs wouldn't bump their tail when they walked."
    "God gave man the colt so he could defend himself, but it looks like he should have given you something with a wider swath."
    "I've seen horses shoot straighter."
    "If that's a gun then I'm the Queen of England."
    "Looks like you got yourself a pea soup shooter to me."
    "That horse rattled every one of your bones into mush."
    "Like horse to the water, sometimes they're too damned stubborn to drink"
    "His nerves left town like a one-legged two timer."

Unforgiven:
    Little Bill Daggett: You just shot an unarmed man.
    Bill Munny: He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.

The Schofield Kid: I guess I'd rather be blind and ragged than dead.

Little Bill Daggett: I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house.
    Bill Munny: Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
    aims gun
    Little Bill Daggett: I'll see you in hell, William Munny.
    Bill Munny: Yeah.
    fires

W.W. Beauchamp: Who'd you kill first? Was it Little Bill? When confronted by superior numbers, an experienced gunfighter will *always* fire on the best shot first.
    Bill Munny: Is that a fact?
    Nods
    Bill Munny: I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folk.

Bill Munny: All right now, I'm comin' out. Any man I see out there, I'm gonna shoot him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife. All his friends. Burn his damn house down.

Bill Munny: Anybody that doesn't want to get killed best clear on out the back.

Good the Bad and the Ugly:
    Man With No Name: You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

I don't remeber the movie, but - "A man's got to know his limits."

Oh and don't forget the wonderful Tombstone :
    Wyatt Earp: "You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand me?"

Johnny Ringo: Isn't anyone here man enough to play for blood?
    Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry.

Wyatt Earp: What makes a man like Ringo, Doc? What makes him do the things he does?
    Doc Holliday: A man like Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of himself. And he can never kill enough, or steal enough, or inflict enough pain to ever fill it.
    Wyatt Earp: What does he want?
    Doc Holliday: Revenge.
    Wyatt Earp: For what?
    Doc Holliday: Bein' born.

(Sorry onthe length I couldn't help myself!)

10. Shagwana

Original Member

Sorry I forgot to check this thread once I posted.

Yellow = coward, like someone else has stated in this thread. But in hinesight, probley not wise to use such an insult as someone might misconstrude it as a racist remark.

11. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

This is true, which is why I would recommend using 'yellah' or 'yeller', because it paints it as a true anachronism of the cowboy days, rather than a modern racist remark.

I guess it might help to know what exactly the setting of the game is. The term 'cowboy' can mean multiple different things, all related to the old west.

-Murderous gang member (there was a real life gang [credited as the first organized crime in America] called the Cowboys in Tombstone, Arizona, that Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday repeatedly clashed with.)
    -Random gunslinger/tough guy -- liquor swillin', gun totin', and card playin'
    -Passive cow rustler/ranch hand

I'm assuming from your first post that the character is more of a passive cow rustler type, probably of undeclared gender?

-Hiro_Antagonist

12. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thanks for your insults so far!

Note that I'd rather not use phrases from known movies. I was aiming more at original cowboy-sounding insults.
    Nope, more like Random gunslinger/tough guy -- liquor swillin', gun totin', and card playin', actually.

BTW, "Your gender is undeclared!" could make a good insult :D