naming issues

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by xDan, Oct 5, 2010.

1. xDan

xDan New Member

About 3 months ago I registered the domain "tripleyay.com" with the idea of calling myself "Triple Yay Games". At that point in time there was nothing in google using that term.

Fast forward to now, when I'm thinking about actually creating my website, beta test my game and all that, and in that time period an iPhone game has popped up called "Triple Yay".

It's not a company called that, just a single game, but still I'm wondering if there could be a problem with this... I suppose it would be safest just to choose a different name, since at this point in time it wouldn't hurt. Yet I really liked that name...

Thoughts?

2. Olofson

Original Member

Even if you were first to use the name officially, there is no copyright or similar for names, so unless yours is a registered trademark, there is little protection.

If your business was "widely known" as Triple Yay Games" by now, that would have prevented anyone else from registering that as a trademark AFAIK - but I'm not sure that has any bearing on whether or not someone could use the name for a single product, like that game.

Any lawyers around here..? :)

3. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I don't think he's asking whether he can force the other guy to rename his game... that would be a "no." I think his question is whether he can still use the name himself without the other guy being able to stop him. That, I don't know. You did register the domain before he made the game, and with the intention of using it, not just squatting... but if you didn't actually put anything up on the site, I don't know.

I guess you could always contact the developer and see what kind of person he is, whether he's going to be a jerk about it or not. Maybe he'll let you use the name, or maybe he'll offer to buy the domain...

To be honest, "Triple Yay" is not a great name IMO, so I'm sure you can come up with something better if it comes to that.

4. Olofson

Original Member

What I'm suggesting is that there isn't necessarily a way for anyone to force anyone anywhere in this case. It's rather common with multiple organizations, companies, products and whatnot having identical or similar names - though they're usually operating in completely different domains, so there is no competition and minimal risk of confusion.

5. xDan

xDan New Member

Hmm, I thought Triple Yay would be a fun pun on "Triple A". Anyone else think it's a rubbish name? That'd solve my problem, at least :)

There might be a risk of confusion yes, I suppose that would work both ways. People searching for my website will find millions of links to this other game.

6. Vino

Vino New Member

The pun on triple-a is clever but "yay" is a weak word. I think you can do better.

7. barrygamer

Original Member

I'm not that keen on the name (as vino said, 'yay' just isnt a strong word, and neither is 'triple' really), and I didnt notice the pun either(!). But, I know people get very attached to names if they've been used in your project for some time.
    Some funny game company names lately, look at 'Hello Games' for starters .

8. Chris England

Chris England New Member

With names, it's as much about getting them known as anything else. 'Valve' isn't actually a very good name, and nor is IBM. Team Fortress is another pretty poor name. Guess what? Nobody really cares, they're more interested in the products you produce. If you make a great game, please will associate the name Triple Yay with good things and will like it more.

9. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I don't think the name is great (neither is ours), so I would contact the iPhone dev and ask them if they want to purchase the domain for some amount greater than what you paid for it, come up with a new name for your company and call it a day. Any other road is just asking for trouble.

10. xDan

xDan New Member

Ok, I see the point. It was more personal attachment to the name than me thinking anyone else cared. I'll probably change it if only to get cleaner google results.

11. Vino

Vino New Member

There is a statute of limitations on that though, if you name your company "Shitty Games Incorporated" that will probably cause a first impression that you don't want.

But for the most part, yeah. A rose by any other name.

12. Obscure

Indie Author

Copyright applies to creative works but there certainly is something "similar for names". Trademark law protects a name or logo and they do not have to be registered in order for you to gain protection. Registering makes it easier to stop someone else using it but isn't essential. However you do need to be using the name/logo to trade (or be able to prove that you were preparing to).

Given that the name is basically worthless at this time it really isn't worthwhile for the OP to get into the costly process of trying to prove who had the name first. Best to just pick a different name.

13. ManuelMarino

Original Member

The safe way is using a name with your surname in it. This is to prevent duplicates.

Anyway, there are thousands with your surname, but how many working in your same industry?

14. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You don't need to prove it. Register it as a trademark, send the other guy a C&D, job done.