N

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by svero, Oct 24, 2005.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Just wanted to tune some people into N, if they haven't been already. N is a game where you play a ninja collecting gold bricks on screens of robots, traps, and other obstacles. It's a really great jumpman-esque platformer with tons of levels, and it's free. If you haven't played N definitely give it a go. I'm playing through for the 2nd time now.

http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n.html

2. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Kick butt game! Mike/Retro64 showed me this a while back. Funny story... it was Flash and only exe format, I contacted them, they said no plans for online version, a year later they come out with swf online version. This game rocked 2 years ago, it very much rocks now.

N Way Of The Ninja

3. soniCron

Indie Author

Hmmm... doesn't work right for me. I've got Flash Player 8 and Firefox 1.0.6 for WindowsXP. The background of the level is black, so I can't see the character. It works fine in IE, and that's got Flash 8 as well.

4. svero

Maybe try the downloadable version available from my link.

- S

5. Bmc

Bmc New Member

it doesnt work for me either, but I've played the downloadable version before and it's pretty fun

6. Anlino

Original Member

I love this game. Saw this game at acid-play.com a bit time back. A really nice game.

7. Sillysoft

Indie Author

I've played the downloadable version of N a ton and I think it is incredibly awesome. It won the audience award at the Independent Games Festival this year. I highly recommend it to everyone. It's freeware, and the newest version added another 250 levels.

The online version at arcadetown also didn't work for me: I couldn't see my character. You can get the downloadable one here:
    http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/downloads.html

8. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Yeah, it's a neato game. More freeware kicking our collective ass.

"Harvey Cartel"? Ho!

9. Leper

Original Member

Oh yeah I've played some N before. Love the editor. Got pretty far in the game too. I think someone should clone N and make a shareware version of it.

Could always make a clone where the sprites are 64x64 at 1024x768 with uber graphics and sound and scrolling maps with a story line.

:cool:

Hows THAT for kicking ass?

10. Martoon

Original Member

The coolest thing about N is the slick integration of gameplay recording/playback with their online highscore system. It's so easy to browse the highscores, select one, and watch it play back. I really wish more games did this.

11. Leper

Original Member

I loved the playback because it looked different every time (the death sequence would always be different, which was so much fun to watch the parts fly in every which direction. Sometimes the parts would fly so furious its like "Whoa" and thats just amazing considering the graphics)

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Mine was going to, then I sort of changed the structure and decided I couldn't be bothered. I wonder if I got the idea off N? Because I've played N but I don't remember this; I thought I'd come up with it myself...

Anyway, yeah. I like the idea.

13. Martoon

Original Member

I think lots of us have had this idea before seeing N (including myself). N is just one of the very few that's actually done it, and done it well.

14. Viridian

Original Member

Great game and a great attitude

Yes, N is awesome. I suck at it, but I love it. The really cool thing about MetaNet IMO is that they aren't hoardy with their knowledge - they've got a set of tutorials on their site that pretty much explain every aspect of how they made the game:

http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/tutorials.html

15. arcadetown

Odd so many guys saying online version not working. Can't reproduce from here.

Sadly I see a ton more innovation in the online freeware gaming community as guys tend to take a lot more chances.

16. svero

Most freeware is terrible. N is a very rare gem. BTW I forgot to warn everyone. N is also the most frustrating game ever made. That little Ninja you control. Prepare to be blown up, electrocuted, smashed, zapped, crushed and anyting else you can think of. (Often!)
    - S

17. TimS

Original Member

I was playing this once in a class (console development)... the people on either side of me were soon playing ... by the end of the class about 20 people were playing (More than were working on the lab I think). This continued for some of us for weeks. I think quite a few people failed that class. Sorry to all involved!

Sooo addictive.

18. arcadetown

Yes and no.

Freeware online games try some great ideas that try/buy games typically won't touch. Every so often someone gets smart, would we have Feeding Frezny w/o Fishy?

Heavy Games has some popular stuff.

19. svero

Well.. see.. maybe my standards are too high, but fishy is a nice example of a really terrible freeware title. I don't believe it was the first of the genre either.

20. Anatoly

Original Member

There is good freeware! Like That Night Before or 5 Days a Stranger and many others...
    N rocks... I think I've got it from some gaming magazine CD... Great stuff... I really liked ragdoll deaths! :D
    It's also one of the most frustrating games ever, but I seem to like that kind of thing... I mean - Another World, Flashback, Heart of the Alien... Or maybe Secret Agent and Crystal Caves... Hmmmm...