My theory about game dev, game concept, and dev plan

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by bigl2369, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Kirennian

Kirennian New Member

Zombies in GTA is a bit too low level... maybe a better example would be, you couldn't make Minecraft in GTAs engine.

There are a ridiculous number of ways that things can be done with code. To take that comment literally, I'd say there are more ways to make 'hello world' appear on the screen than there are stars in the observable universe.

Tutorials exist, if you actually want to discover at a pretty fundamental level, the answer to your questions here, try the below tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMNunoPd0o

2. bigl2369

bigl2369 New Member

[​IMG]

#62 bigl2369, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  3. TimS

Original Member

Hate to continue to derail this information-fest... but he's right... and more right than he was even trying to be:

1) - He said "observable" Universe... meaning the stars are finite AND countable.

2) - Even if he hadn't and you assume an infinite Universe, the stars would be countably infinite (think... the number of integers). The ways to get "Hello World" to appear on a screen is decidedly more than that.

4. bigl2369

bigl2369 New Member

And I suppose theres as many ways to build an MMO as there are grains of sand

sarcastic

5. sbourges

sbourges New Member

bigl2369 at this point people did answer your question. Use Unity3D or other engine that exists out there. The choice is yours according to your skill level. From what I understand of your request you have NO experience or know-how for programming 'scripts' to move and make character your modeled shoot one another. My suggestion would be: invest on multiple classes (beginner and advance) on how-to for the engine you choose. I would also start with a smaller game (delaying you delivery by X months). The reason is the same as you doing your first 3D model versus doing one now. You learned so much since then that you don't do things the same way and save tons of time with the new way. Those classes and first game will give you some experience and you will learn a LOT that would make you next game go out faster because you won't have to learn those and won't have to restart the 2 or 3 (or 6) certain aspect because of what you learn. It will also prepare you for what needs to be thought of before you start any coding/modeling.

To put it in a different perspective, what you are asking is the same as me asking you to please give me a tool that as a developer I would be able create all my models of my game at a commercial level quality with me not know about texture, bump mapping, transparency, etc. I should just be able to create an animated zombie within a town with weather and all that? Everyone does that, so it should be done in a few weeks right?

You question would be, well what style do you want for your game. What level of details can your engine support. Are we using 512, 1024, 2048 size textures or do I need all 3 for option to user? I'm sure as a graphic artist you can come up with a lot more of them.

Well, as s developers this is what everybody told you in this thread. We need details. A generic: I need a Zombie won't be enough for you to be successful. Sure you can create a zombie, but then I would tell you that I need it to look like, this. The animations are like that. Too many vertex, light, texture or whatever and you almost have to restart. So you need more then a generic level of the idea. You need to go in the details and specifics.

Engines are what you are asking for, but they have to be generic by their nature. They provide flexibility through scripts (programming) to adapt the engine/environment to your specific needs. Yes, someone good at the engine you chose can help and make those scripts and if your communication is good and you both agree on an architecture for the game (i.e. how to represent moving models vs static object, what models can interact and what are there actions, etc.), then you can look at doing an INDIE game within a year. Better have somebody with lots of experience, but to get those, you need an incentive.

So, if I put my candidature out there for doing the project with you what is my incentive and don't tell me doing a game. I know the game you are talking about will probably tank (there are 100s of them started and maybe 5-20 completed and out of those 2 or 3 are successful). Reason is, if it was that easy to make a successful MMO everyone would. Everyone tried and a lot failed! What is new in your system that would make the user go to yours instead of continuing their WoW or whatever latest MMO flavor they are playing.

You need a marketing plan, a distributions system, infrastructure (server, hosting, redundancy). Basically, you need to create a business plan and prove that you will make money if your assumptions in the plan are met (1 million users with 1 thousand paying for in game items for example). Why would I invest a year of my life on your project. Sell me that and you might get somewhere with it :)

6. bigl2369

bigl2369 New Member

who said anything about zombies? I thought my game concept was far from anything vague... besides the fact that it doesn't say anything about the art style(which would just be models and materials with skinned to bone keyframed animation clips)... it includes every feature I want in there

and whats so hard about any of those features... items... leveling... unlocking classes... abilities... mosnters... loot nodes... stats... pvp... vendors... banks... taking over a city... an auctionhouse... its all generic stuff and I think if you cant figure it out you shouldn't be a game maker(or call yourself a game maker rather)...

#66 bigl2369, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. sbourges

sbourges New Member

Wow, I took time to write what I thought was a new perspective for you to understand the response in this thread. All you got out of it is Zombie and to send some insults...bigl2369...do not bother with his post, just doesn't want to learn; just wants to be right...check!

#67 sbourges, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. Sade

Sade New Member

Thanks for making that effort sbourges. I've also tried, but to no avail.
    I'd appreciate it if this thread was closed, just because it makes my blood boil and I can't help checking it for new posts...