My Game Company is closing

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GolfHacker, Nov 19, 2013.

1. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say a final farewell to my friends here (though I know some have moved on).

My deteriorated health is forcing me to close my business. Although I have enjoyed writing games, the past few years have been very stressful for me as I've struggled to grow the business (without success), and the stress has taken a significant toll on my health. Multiple illnesses that have left my immune system weakened, and several bouts of pneumonia have resulted in chronic lung issues. The bottom line is that I just don't have the strength or endurance to continue working 2 jobs (this one and the one that pays the bills). So I'm afraid I must let this one go.

It was a painful decision to make. I wanted to write games ever since my parents purchased our first computer, the IBM PCjr, for Christmas in 1984. I was a sophomore in high school at the time. My dad had purchased a couple of games with it, one of which was Sierra's first King's Quest game. I loved that game! The PCjr also came with a cartridge that had BASIC on it, and I learned to program BASIC and began writing my own adventure games. I continued writing games in college, as a practical exercise to help me learn various programming languages and techniques. And after college, I tinkered with various half-finished game projects until I finally finished a game and started My Game Company in 2003 to start selling it. Owning my own game company was a lifelong dream come true - and shutting it down was the most difficult decision I've ever had to make.

My yearly web hosting for both mygamecompany.com and dirkdashing.com will run out on December 15. After much deliberation, I've decided I am not going to renew the web hosting plans, which means my web sites and e-mail will be offline after that. I will retain ownership of both domain names, however, so perhaps I can bring the sites back at some point in the future.

I learned a lot on this forum during the past 10 years, and hope I was able to help a few others myself. Thanks everybody for your support and encouragement over the years. It's been a fun ride. Perhaps in time I will be able to regain enough strength to pick up game development again.

Troy

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Very sad to hear that Troy. The business of making games is brutal - maybe there will be a point in time down the road when you can consider it a hobby if you miss it? My personal health issues have improved since we a) moved to a house with a lot of yard work and b) I've started to do a lot of stretching at night. I have low and mid-back issues that have led to a wide variety of knock-on effects and if I stretch a lot (45 minutes every other night) they are kept in check.

Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck, I'm always a sucker for a story that includes getting a computer in the early '80's.

3. Leon

Original Member

I'm sorry to hear about your health, and the choices you're having to make due to that, but I am glad that you are doing what is best for your health. I've seen people value other things over their health, and in the end, health is so important. You can ALWAYS come back to gaming, and your company. But if your health goes, there may not be getting that back.

Good luck sir.

4. infocyde

infocyde New Member

Good Luck Troy

I don't know you, but it looks like you are making a very hard call. Get healthy, and I hope the new phase of life brings you some amazing things that will ease the pain of setting aside your dream. Hopefully one day you can return.

5. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Good luck Troy. I've had that debate with myself for some time now, not due to health issues, but due to wanting/needing to spend more time with the family and it is a hard mental struggle. Your games always looked successful from my point of view, but I never saw the actual sales figures so I'll take your word for it. Get healthy and then think about how to work some game dev back into your life (I do 1 night per week for about 5 hours).

6. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Good luck Troy, it's not an easy decision to make to give up on your dream but some times we have to.
    I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago of having to step back for a while, so I know something of what you're going through.

At the end of the day, your health is far far more important so focus on getting yourself sorted first.

Once you're back to normal you can do some game dev part time again if you want (and you probably will).
    That's what I'm doing, you may find having limited time available actually helps you be more organised and focused.
    Strange but true, when I was full time I so worried about keeping everything afloat that I spent most of my time distracted, never focusing on a single job properly (unless it was a clients) and totally totally stressed out, now with very little time I'm forced to ignore distractions.

Of course, if I could take what I know now back to when I was full time, I'd be bigger than Cliffski! ;-)

Bruno gave me that same good advice of working out a night when you can just focus solely on game dev because you'll concentrate a lot more in a longer session than several short ones. (Thanks Bruno)

For now, I hope you can learn to relax and get better soon

Iain

7. ManuTOO

Original Member

GolfHacker,
    good luck with your life and I'm sure it's just a goodbye !
    lennard's advices are great ; as a fellow Indie dev sitting on my chair too long time everyday, I can vouch for them ; my mood & energy improved since I put a bit of stretching & exercises in the middle of that..! :p

8. FabianMatyas

FabianMatyas New Member

It’s not fair that people like you who produce original content have to make such hard decisions. Life sometimes gets in the way.
    But I’m sure time will solve it. I wish you well!

9. SLotman

Good luck man. It's always hard to make those calls, but health should come first, no doubt.

10. Frozen In Ice

We wish you the best Troy. Hope your health improves, at the end of the day, your health is more important. Hope to see you in the forum anyway, just to chat, or give valued feedback that I'm sure many would appreciate :)