My first game: An easter themed puzzle game

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by DerR, Oct 30, 2007.

1. DerR

DerR New Member

Hi guys!

First of all I want to introduce myself since it's my first post. :) My name is Oliver and I'm a student from Germany. I haven't been making games seriously for a time but I never wanted to quit for good. I have found and read this forum for a while now and I finally wanted to make my appearance and stop standing at the side looking at others who are actually getting a game done.

Lately I have been working on a small puzzle type game in my spare time. With that project I want to prove myself that I can actually stick to a game until it is released and look after it after the release.

Currently it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game works like this: You can shift a block left/right if there is nothing in the way. If there is nothing under the block it falls down. Blocks disappear when 2 or more are touching and the game is won if you removed all blocks in the level.

The game is being developed using C++ and the PopCap framework.

I know it's still a long way to go but I'd be more than happy for some honest feedback and opinions! :)

Oliver

2. papillon

Indie Author

When I first saw a hint of screenshot, without having scrolled to see it all yet, I thought it was ON FIRE - that is, I thought it was a fire theme rather than an easter theme, with the red blocks and the strong yellows of the background. The colors really overwhelm the content, to me.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Same for me. I don't think it's far off the mark - clean up the icons a little bit and try a few things for the background to mute it out more (or try different photo's).

4. lakibuk

Indie Author

Sounds like Puzznic. Take a look at Blox Forever, that's another clone of Puzznic.

5. DerR

DerR New Member

Thanks for the feedback! :) Feels great to finally be out of the "vacuum" and have people other than friends comment on the work.

I kind of thought that the obstacle-blocks are too colorful myself and I'm tweaking that right now aswell as trying out simpler backgrounds that are not based on photographs. It's amazing how much work such a simple game can cause.

laikibuk: Thanks for pointing me to those games. I haven't seen games like that in a while.. actually I decided to make mine after playing the old game "Brix" on DOSBox. :)