My Android game was on 40+ pirate game blogs within 2 days of launch!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ianismrt, May 3, 2012.

1. ianismrt

ianismrt
    Expand Collapse

My game ZOMBIES! Hit and RUN! was on over 40 different (I stopped counting!) pirate game blogs within 2 days of launch!

I am flattered to see that people would take the time to pirate my game, I did all the design/art/programming myself so I'm glad people are enjoying it; but MAN I hoped it would take a little longer than 48 hours!

I'm also shocked at how friendly the pirate websites are, many are sharing links while it seems impossible to get my game featured on legit websites! :confused:

Anyone else been swashbuckled?

[video]http://youtu.be/m7xigHkU8YI[/video]

2. Nutter2000

Nutter2000
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member Indie Author

D'oh sorry to hear that mate

3. Desktop Gaming

Desktop Gaming
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

That's like saying "I was flattered that a thieving druggie scrote liked my car enough to steal it".

Don't waste your time being flattered - the cruel truth is that everything, good or bad, gets pirated (Not that I'm saying your game is bad). If you've a little time to waste then send takedown notices (google it to get the formalities of doing so) to whoever is hosting the blogs. These things get removed quite regularly, normally, so they usually end up on free sites like blogger or wordpress. Plus, you're lucky you got to 48 hours before it got pirated. A couple of hours is 'the norm'.

Erm... yeah. I've noted a lot of comments during my internet trawlings, such as "Thanks a LOT uploader, the code dose not work you ****ing **** ****ard. Don't waste my ****ing time uploading this *** if it doesn't ****ing work b**ch". :D

4. AndyBumpkin

AndyBumpkin
    Expand Collapse

My game "The Tribloos" got pirated 24 hours *before* it was released on BigFishGames.

So yeah you didn't do too badly there ;)

But I wouldn't have known if it weren't for google alerts and I generally just ignore any pirated versions that come in. Nothing I can do about it, I've instead concentrated on making the sequel even better and talking to the wonderful people who actually bought it :D

5. ianismrt

ianismrt
    Expand Collapse

Whoa Ok, yeah I dont feel so bad now! just kidding, that sucks... But yeah there definitely isn't anything we can really do about it... I set out to have the first link taken down, then I noticed the 2nd... and so on. Luckily it has already paid for the google developer license so I'm not TOO upset. I just wish pirates would lay off the indie guys!

It's good (and sad!!) to know I'm not alone!

6. AndyBumpkin

AndyBumpkin
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I just don't think there's any point in getting worked up about it. They've probably got some "clever" program which rips it from whichever server and uploads it to various sites without any intervention on their part.

Personally I can't fathom the mindset of normal people, let alone pirates so trying to fight them would be a complete waste of time for me :)

7. Nutter2000

Nutter2000
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member Indie Author

I think they would say it's a combination of "because they can" and "sticking it to the man!" however it really just boils down to that they're selfish, spoilt brats who've never had to work for anything in their worthless existance.
    To put it mildly ;-)

8. plicatibu

plicatibu
    Expand Collapse

Hi.

People hate to pay and they do not feel guilty when they steal games. Quite the contrary. They feel proud of it.

IMHO piracy is a problem that has just one solution: don't sell your game. Use alternative ways to monetize.

For instance:
    • free game with advertising.
    • free game that sells virtual goods (like guns, gems, and so on) that improve game experience

Regards.

9. Morgan Ramsay

Morgan Ramsay
    Expand Collapse

Start sending out DMCA takedown notices to service providers, but don't let your antipiracy efforts consume you. At the end of the day, you'll lose far more sales to bad or insufficient reviews and marketing.

10. Davaris

Davaris
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

They are pirating a 99c game??? These pirates need to get a life.

11. seigiac

seigiac
    Expand Collapse

Same thing happened with our game, Anticlon. We released on Google Play two weeks ago and two days later there were a lot of site with the apk available for download. There is really not much that can be done, everyday new sites come up and most of them are chinese, russian or korean.

12. TylerBetable

TylerBetable
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with this. Sadly the only defense you have against piracy is to make a legit awesome game, distribute it better than the competitors, and also have it be free.

13. Purplefacegames

Purplefacegames
    Expand Collapse

Free is not the answer here, You cant let them win by making everything free. Countless hours have been put into making what ever has been pirated, so making it free with added premium features is useless. The old fashioned way works, if people like the look of something they will buy it, well decent people will. The only people who pirate a 99c game are losers, so you dont need them!

Keep your product cheap (You already did that) and you shouldnt put the valuable customers off. I know that piracy hurts everyone, at the end of the day you can only do what's possible and sometimes taking it6 on the chin is worth more then wrapping it up in DRM till the code cant breath. Indie developers need to concentrate on making a game people will feel they need to buy, heck they have to buy it, becuase pirated games are usually chocker block with bad glitches and sub par versions that buying the game new seems like its worth it, with free updates and so on. Use more of those tacticts, dont steep lowe to freemium level, that shit wont last, its patronising to the customer i think. No freemium game is free, its just trying to reel you in with sweet collectable once in a lifetime item that raises your blah blah to 1000000! I feel that would decive my customers, making them think its free while all along im dreaming up ways to sucker them into some gold points or summin.

Anyway, it sucks that you got pirated :)