Musical motifs in video games

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Michael Lucas Engan, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Michael Lucas Engan

Michael Lucas Engan New Member

Hey guys!
    I'm rounding up my major project which is a video game soundtrack. With this soundtrack I'm also writing a dissertation on the use of motifs (very loosly explained as a musical idea which is reused within the same medium (game, movie/movie franchise)).
    Does anyone have good recommendations for me to analyse?
    So far I'm analysing
    Legend of Mana (Song of Mana)
    Final Fantasy VIII (Eyes on Me)
    Harry Potter (Overture)
    Legend of Zelda (Main theme and Ganon's theme)

2. CaptainBlueSkies

CaptainBlueSkies New Member

I can't think of anything more appropriate than the main Mario theme. You can play the first three notes and most gamers can figure out what song it is.

3. doowahree

doowahree New Member

Maybe [ori and the blind forest] can be looked at. Many of the ost there is a variation of one another emphasizing different insrument.

4. CurryTime

CurryTime New Member

That's a pretty strong selection. If you mean "songs and song construction that's played in different ways throughout the game/series to give it a strong identity," don't forget Earthbound's Eight Melodies! It's the one song that makes most EB/Mother players tear up whenever they hear it.

5. Zachary Van Kleeck

Indie Author

Take a look at the Interstellar (film) soundtrack. I think you'll be able to find some good reference material there.

6. RedC alcifer

RedC alcifer New Member

You should definitely check out some opera! I personally really enjoy La Bohème and I think the motifs there are pretty clear ^^

7. Michael Lucas Engan

I agree! Operas and musicals do this quite ingeniously. Saw Into The Woods the other night.. so many clever motifs!

8. RedC alcifer

RedC alcifer New Member

They are the origin of the idea of a late motif! Try getting a little bit deeper into the Opera and you will find really interesting stuff as an audiovisual composer! Wagner is the father of this idea :D

And yeah! Musicals are like the today's opera so yes, they are also a good reference!

9. Michael Lucas Engan

Actually, motifs are older than that. But Wagner was the father of leitmotifs.

Oh yes, I’m actually trained in opera and choral works to begin with, but that was about 12 years ago.
    Are you a music guy as well? Or what part of Indie are you? :)

10. RedC alcifer

RedC alcifer New Member

Oh Yes! sorry for the mistake, you are right, was about the leitmotifs ^^ Yay! I am a musician aswell! So cool that you worked with chorals! I am not much of a singer tho :p

11. Dee Kourtsman

Dee Kourtsman New Member

Speaking of motifs... take a look at "Les Miserables" score. To me, it's a bible of motifs development and usage. Especially a central piece called "One day more" where nearly all the motifs of the opera intertwine and go to culmination.