Musical motifs in video games

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Michael Lucas Engan, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Michael Lucas Engan

Michael Lucas Engan New Member

Hey guys!
    I'm rounding up my major project which is a video game soundtrack. With this soundtrack I'm also writing a dissertation on the use of motifs (very loosly explained as a musical idea which is reused within the same medium (game, movie/movie franchise)).
    Does anyone have good recommendations for me to analyse?
    So far I'm analysing
    Legend of Mana (Song of Mana)
    Final Fantasy VIII (Eyes on Me)
    Harry Potter (Overture)
    Legend of Zelda (Main theme and Ganon's theme)

2. CaptainBlueSkies

CaptainBlueSkies New Member

I can't think of anything more appropriate than the main Mario theme. You can play the first three notes and most gamers can figure out what song it is.

3. doowahree

doowahree New Member

Maybe [ori and the blind forest] can be looked at. Many of the ost there is a variation of one another emphasizing different insrument.