Music Composer For your Next Production

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by pupops, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mika

Original Member

wow... im not trying to bring any heat around here. I always visit the site... but i was always lazy to register to post lol

Well, i have reading all this debate here... i must say what i really think the guy from infx studios (let me check)... yeap the one who posted this thread :p bothered him was that you, staffan started your comment making a joke... what he considered rude.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.. so i guess we could have our minds open to them to. If he dont or didn like jokes, well who are we to judge? :)

I lwas at his/their site, i really liked what i heard. Im not a musician, i cant look over technic stuff but i know the difference between average music and that kind of music that stands for its own... I think Infx music and Staffan Melin are very good.

Im a Pacifist, and I really think if we are going to make a comment to anybody we have to be ready for hearing a reply back... everybody, and i mean everybody has a right to answer what they think, and Pupops (dont remember his real name:), wanted to let Staffan know what were his thoughts about his critics. Like someone said above, we are not judges, and i guess some of us didn`t understand what pupops wanted to express. i dont think he was deffensive, we just used that phrase a lot when we want to turn some simple Feedback (both sides) into a whole big bad competition...

well, im not going to turn my first comment on a bible chapter lol

Peace out... and think about it.

Ill post my web page... (nothing music related) on the help section... :D

2. AnthemAudio

Original Member

yeah but...they deleted ALL of their posts. Not just the ones pertaining to the argument...ALL OF THEM. Kind of childish it would seem. I don't know why the thread is still here since they clearly don't want anything to do with indiegamer anymore.

:confused:

3. disaffected

Original Member

I think the reason why the original poster felt you were rude is because he never ask for comments or advices, he merely posted an ad advertising his services.

4. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Perhaps...I thought it was because it came from a fellow musician that it seemed more like an insult than not. I know I would initially take more offense to a harsh critique of my work by a musician than a non-musician.

It's all speculation now anyways...they're gone apparently. (just when my thread was getting more hits from my updates...:mad:

5. mika

Original Member

Yeap... I notice the very First Posts are deleted too.
    I think rather than Childish, (since i think, they should had their reasons) Its Very Sad. I don`t like to see Helpers leave a group.
    I Feel bad when that happens, cause in any order, we are in a whatever group to help eachother :(

Dissafected got a good point there. Probably between musicians its harder to get along. Since they have to compete against eachother and i think Staffan didn`t want to loose his clients. I dont know, i just got that idea due to the way he replied to pupops comments about his music. I dont think pupops was whinying. Just his thoughts about it.
    But again, we are just up to speculations... :(

I will click your thread Anthem,,, and help u out a little ;)

Anyway... I think this Thread should be deleted. I dont think theyll come back... and it just confuses future indies... this should be put to rest. My Op.

ill c u guys around

Mika

#25 mika, Apr 28, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  6. Melin

Original Member

what?

I'm not afraid of losing clients. In fact, I'm thinking about not taking on any more indie clients, since I'm litteraly burried in work right now. :)

All I did was to offer some feedback on a fellow musician's work.
    He got offended because I didn't love and praise everything, and told me I suck and that my opinion was wrong.
    If you get upset whenever you get some critisism, thinking to yourself "what an idiot, I know I do it the perfect way already", you won't grow as a musician.

I used to do the exact same thing when I was about 18 or so. For almost an entire year, I didn't learn a thing, and didn't grow at all.
    This was until I signed up to a site called ModRev. I posted my songs, thinking they would score top notch points, and guess what? They didn't. Not even close.
    My first reaction was the same as Pupops, like "screw you. i'll never visit this site again."

Then I got an email from one of the reviewers explaining his thoughts and told me how I need to be able to take critisism. That was a turning point for my music. Since then, I always listen to critics, even when I don't feel it's valid.

Again, I would never comment on someone else's work just for personal gain. Never. THAT would be rude for sure.

#26 Melin, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  7. disaffected

Original Member

you could've PM him your comment about his music. Posted negative comments publically in someone else's service thread (in which he didn't ask for comments on his music, nor advice) is distasteful to say the least.

8. Melin

Original Member

I suppose.

I've always thought people posting in a forum wouldn't mind replies. If not, why do we even have the ads in forum form, and not simple ads that can not be replied too?

And I also thought he actually wanted comments, since he was the most frequent "bumper" of his own thread, with posts like "here's another new track!"

I can not imagine that any musician wouldn't want comments on their work, good or bad. But yeah, in retrospect, maybe a PM would've been better.

9. Nikster

Original Member

If people wanted feedback I assume they would either ask for it or post in the announcement/feedback section, I also assume replies are allowed so people who have actually used the services can comment on how it went, rather than just basterdize a thread, while I appreciate the guild of helping each other by feedback, being posted on the main thread rather than a pm can make potential customers wary, me for example see it as the original advertiser has flaws in his work, then again, I also see some form of sabotage by other musicians posting opinions on a competitors thread so I for one have decided to steer clear of both.

I only posted it here as this thread has gone to shit :) and maybe help you understand how a simple non musician like me may see it.

10. Melin

Original Member

all valid points. I'm used to music forums, where most artists would kill to get feedback on their work. I can see it how people think I'm doing this to pimp my own music, but I'm really not. I didn't say it was all bad either, his music was impressive. I just didn't think all of it was completely awesome, that's all.
    but yeah, indiegamer is not like music forums, and I'll use pm's in the future.

11. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Hmm...I don't mind if people post critiques on my portfolio thread...good or bad. To save on clutter I would prefer everything consolidated into one thread.

BUT I guess I see the difference of posting comments in a Portfolio thread vs a Feedback thread, wherein one is implicit that they want feedback. So I will certainly honor that here.

But had someone posted only positive feedback in a portfolio thread it wouldn't have been a problem, would it? Even though they are not looking for critiques? Little bit of a double standard. Though I don't recall it being a problem until now so perhaps it's an isolated event.

So we should post publicly with positive and PM if it's somewhat negative/critical? Guess it works!

12. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

1. Its "Art & Sound Portfolios" forum, not Feedback. Posting here means you want to offer your services.

2. If you like someone's portfolio, contact him, thats why there's a rule to leave an address.

3. You don't like it, don't contact the man. and since its not the Feedback forum, nor did he ask for one, don't post feedback especially if you think it will lead to such pointless fight.

Its the same as your game website, you like the game? great, buy it.
    didn't like it? contact the author.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.