"Move over Monopoly

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by lennard, Mar 12, 2013.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

there's a better real estate game in town. Real Estate Empire - DECK."

Do you think that tag line is going to draw the wrath of Hasbro? Does anybody have a link to where the line is on this - I know lots of products compare themselves to each other, do blind taste tests, etc..

2. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Because M is capitalized in Monopoly Apple would reject your game for using keywords that you don't have the rights for (if it was iOS game). With m in monopoly maybe you could get a way. Big companies might try to get you even if your usage is legit.

3. Stropp

Stropp New Member

I wouldn't bother using the Move over Monopoly bit, but "there's a better real estate game in town..." that's a decent tag line. And anyone who is in your target market probably knows what you mean anyway.

4. Desktop Gaming

I was going to say pretty much what Roman said. If you MUST use the word "monopoly", make your tagline "something something something blah blah blah REE has the monopoly", and let people make their own connection (they will!). And the Hasbro vultures won't be able to touch you for it, though you'd still likely get a C&D which you may or may not choose to ignore. Ultimately they'd have difficulty suing somebody for using a word*, provided you don't capitalise it in context (because that's when it becomes a trademark), or say "it's better than monopoly", because then you're making a direct reference to a specific product.

* The big point to remember is, even if they can't sue you, they can afford to try it. On that basis, it's a situation best avoided.

5. Artinum

Original Member

You could say DECK will monopolise your time.

6. lennard

Thanks all. I like Stropp's notion the best. I have a weekly board game group - last Thursday we finished with a 2 hour game of DECK and a general consensus that the cards needed a redesign. Here's where I think they are likely to stay at for both the card and video game versions:

[​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback.