Mount and Blade, great example of indie games.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by zoombapup, Jun 13, 2009.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Hey all,

I just bought mount and blade for cheap at the local game store. Bought it along with Bioshock as I'm catching up on some much needed game time :)

What a fantastic game! I mean given its only what, 2 programmers and a handful of artists? I spent more time playing it already than I ever spent playing gears of sodding war.

It may not be the most polished graphical extravaganza ever, but it delivers a unique gameplay experience and thats really what matters to me.

Anyone know of any more gems like this? I mean sort of hardcore games that were indie born and still achieve that level of immersion?

2. cliffski

armageddon empires
    world of goo

3. Backov

Original Member

Space Rangers 2
    Defense Grid

The indieness of the studios involved could be argued, but let's not please. :)

4. zoombapup

def grid and wog I knew about. Thanks for the other guys.

5. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

-----------

#5 Jesse Hopkins, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  6. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

I just watched the video of that game linked in Jesse Hopkins's signature... I had never seen or heard of that game but that video is amazing. They got the camera JUST RIGHT - it really feels like you're there in the battle!!!

Nice music, by the way. All around, that game sure feels epic for a game worked on by as few people as Zoombapup described. I wonder what the total cost of production was for that game.

Argh, I do not have time to get bogged down in a game but that video really makes me want to run out and get it!

7. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I bought m&b from steam based on screenshots and description. Played it for maybe half an hour before figuring it's not what I expected. I found the controls frustrating and "sandbox gameplay" an excuse for not making a storyline.

8. zoombapup

I really didnt have any expectations. I just knew it was an indie game and thought I'd buy it as a 2 for 1. I didnt have any problems with the control system (doing the tutorial at the training camp helps a bit), but it is pretty hard to play (I've had my armies wiped out a few times now).

Its a really quite unique title though, which is kind of the point. Nobody else would have thought to have you as a leader of a group of soldiers roaming around the land as mercenaries on horseback. Its not without flaws, but its still a bloody good achievement in game development for such a tiny team.

9. zoombapup

Hehe.. yes it was brilliant. Actually, it just fit with the game so well that I didnt really notice it (in a good way).

10. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I love Mount & Blade. I loved Bioshock too (a really good example of clever story writing) but M&B is just plain fun. Check the forum for a ton of mods.

Also, keep watch for the multiplayer enabled sequel Warblade that'll be out... sometime.

I'd rate is as, 'not too bad' :p

11. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

I'm not into FPS games (there are exceptions) and I really like story based games. So Mount&Blade with no story and using the first person perspective was not really my cup of tea, but I gave it a try as I heard it was indie and I read quite a lot of books about that time period.

I surprised even myself when I realized I'm totally digging that game! Mount & Blade was the game that made me feel an excitement I was not sure I would feel again about a game. The game start almost put me off as there was no story, but the more I realized what their focus was: Mount & Blade, the more excited I was, as the game definitely delivers! The combat mechanics are just more then anything I ever saw or played in an FPS.

It really made me feel like riding a horse and the feeling when you deliver a hit at full speed into an opponent riding against you is just incredible: it feels so real! And the fortress sieges are massive! Archery implementation is also very good.

The music and free form game play really worked for me and made the setting of a steppe and nomads come to live in my mind. I was free, master of where I go, who I fight for and to ride where ever I want.

So I recommend to give it a try to anyone who missed it. Just don't expect more then a mount and a blade. Instead let the game surprise you how it's enough.

#11 Andrej Vojtas, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  12. Colm

Colm New Member

Another interesting thing the M&B devs did was start selling it early (approx 2 years ago I think) for cheap. It started out at around $10 and you knew you were buying a beta version, but it meant you got the full version for free whenever it came out. They gradually increased the price as the game became more feature-complete.

A good idea for indies I think!

13. AnttiKi

AnttiKi New Member

Evochron Renegades by Shawn Bower is a similar gem (for me at least). It's a Elite-like game with a network play option (that I haven't been able to test yet). It is based on procedural creation of game content, so it's vast and varied and there's a lot to do. Gameplay's on the spot, too.

A friend of mine wrote an introduction to Evochron Renegades on our blog Alt+Games and also inteviewed its creator, Shawn Bower.

14. Game Producer

I actually didn't like Mount & Blade (but that's just me), although I agree it is work of art. And also see it in local supermarket shell here in Finland (and thought that's cool)

As for other indie games, I'll add:
    - Kudos

15. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

Yes! That's exactly what the Cortex Command guys did! In fact, they ended up with a pretty huge community in the process.

Lots of good reasons to work that way! You get free beta testing... people share their ideas for improvement... you get some income early on... etc. It's brilliant.

16. CheapDevotion

CheapDevotion New Member

Another great Indie title is Zeno Clash. This game has some great Hand to Hand combat. Art style is a little strange, but very fun to look at.

17. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

not sure exactly what you're looking for but i'll interpret this as 'hardcore / non-casual indie games which are immersive'?

- light of altair is a recent one i liked a lot
    - derek yu's game aquaria is a classic and immersed me very much
    - braid as well
    - pappilon's cute knight can be immersive too
    - could also try my game immortal defense, many told me it's immersive

18. MiceHead

Original Member

Immortal Defense is awesomely odd. I love it!