mostfun.com -- is this for real?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Pyabo, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Er, 'I' do think I answered it to the best of my ability really :)

I don't actually believe they are ripping anybody off, but then I don't have all the hard facts to hand to know for sure if they have actually legally signed all these other titles to date - why would I tho?... that's none of my business.

Only when my own content goes live will I know the true outcome on this deal however.

That's all I actually know to date, however I do agree that a contract is not usually worth the paper it's written on when the hammer drops and things get nasty - which I really do hope it won't in this case.

There is no such thing as a sure bet in this industry.

[Edit: I've since directed Maleea at NeoEdge to this thread, in order that she may wish to comment on the above perhaps? - best I can do for you all on this one really]

#61 Adrian Cummings, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  2. MerscomMan

MerscomMan New Member

Great royalty report

Hi, we just got our first report for Mostfun.com showing results since Blood Ties went live and it was great. I can't give out the numbers but they have moved into our top-5 among portal revenue.

3. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Thanks Lloyd, for sharing this info.

JC

4. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Great!... and there you have it then Pyabo :)

5. chanon

Indie Author

Sounds promising!

I don't want to think too far ahead but if this kind of thing really takes off revenue-wise then it could be great news because we will finally be able to monetize all those free plays. Also piracy will be a non-issue .. just like in Flash games. It can also be seen as a way to get some extra revenue for old games.

Will be exciting to see how this turns out.

What I want to see now is some kind of MochiAds-like thing that you can put into your own downloadable game that you distribute on your own site instead of having the game tied to some other website.

I don't know how mostfun.com works, but I envision a MochiAds-like thingy that shows ads at regular intervals inside the game. Maybe after every few levels an ad is displayed. This way a game that is able to keep the player's interest longer would net more revenue.

That way if a game had very long longetivity, for example if you make a downloadable game that players can keep going back to even a year later after first playing it, each time the player plays the developer will keep getting money. Instead of making $20 once you would keep on making money for a long time.

It could also change the way of how you think about creating a game. Instead of trying to upsell the full version of the game in the demo, you would have to try to focus on keeping the player's interest as long as possible.

In the past there were "adware" games which had extremely bad reputation ... but if this is done the right way, not installing any hidden software, make everything clear and safe for the end user, make sure that all the "spyware" applications don't block it, then it could be very interesting.

Having a system like this that is not tied to a single site could really help indie-type developers make more money. If you want to make male oriented indie games ... instead of having to resort to making Flash games that play in a browser to make enough money to pay the bills, you will be able to make ad supported fullscreen games with the full experience. It is like putting the current Flash market into fullscreen. Not being tied to portals will allow more innovation and experimentation such as multiplayer functions. Successful multiplayer games (such as Soldat) will be able to make lots of money without having to have their players pay.

For casual female-oriented games, a system like this could also help foster innovation too in the same way.

#65 chanon, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. barrygamer

Original Member

I forgot to mention in my last message, I'm not sure what this app does in the background. It runs at start-up and shows its tray icon etc (not a total disaster in itself, just annoying...). But, in the options pane it has a section that says "Allow sharing / Only allow sharing when inactive" -- you have to choose one or the other. Sharing what? with who? how much? - it doesn't say. Perhaps it was all in the EULA, or elsewhere I missed, but its not user-friendly yet. For now I've uninstalled it -- I just hope someone there can spend time carefully going over the whole installer + app UI to make users confident to use it. It looks promising, would be a shame to not sort it out :(
    (anyone else tried it?)

#66 barrygamer, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  7. Sirrus

Original Member

Why is this such a surprise to everyone?

The $20 model is on the way out, higher netting video advertising is moving in. Its just keeping up with the market and finding ways to generate greater returns. Obviously those systems would pay out to the developers themselves.

8. Pyabo

Original Member

Did he get a report or a *check*? :)

9. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I have no idea? hehe LOL. You can fight the tide but it is slowly turning on Mobile, PC to some degree now and even music via the likes of We7.

I want to be in on it all early rather than sit back and wait here, If I drown it will of been my own fault of course.

$19.99 is over for me and piracy is massive so something needs to be done - I personally am attempting to do it. You all can watch me burn down the line most likely though - tho I hope not of course :)

Sitting on the fence on this is not the answer (of that I am sure) and you can have the best of 'both' worlds anyway with the usual paid model and also this type of distribution so there is no great problem here in that respect.

#69 Adrian Cummings, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  10. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Time to move on...

[Update:] 2 of 4 the titles I signed went live on their D2C platform over the weekend - so now onto the interesting and fun bit of course in the coming months ahead :)

Who knows? it could actually even turn out to be as good as Greystripe are on mobile and I firmly believe micropayments are the future alongside regular distribution for now at least, given piracy levels and that $19.99 everything appears to be a dying model.

11. Pyabo

Original Member

Despite my innate skepticism... I appreciate the updates, Adrian. Thanks!

12. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

That's OK Pyabo, its new ground being trodden here on PC anyway.

If it works out then cool - if not then well I tried something new at least.

I'll see how it goes when the other 2 go up shortly also... and then on from there.

13. supagu

Original Member

anyone got an internal contact so i can speed up the communication process with these people?

14. defanual

Original Member

supagu, just contact them here: http://www.neoedge.com/contact/, the form itself doesn't ask for a site/product url, but it might help if you provide these (if possible), in my case I gave them the url to the game I wanted to ad-enable, this worked for me!:D

I even managed to get a reply from eyeblaster (after several attempts, with a bit more creative wording), but they said normally they deal with portals such as realarcade (and possibly trymedia, popcap etc), we'll see what happens (or not) I guess:) )

#74 defanual, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  15. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Update:

2 reporting months in - return revenue results have been pretty poor so far on 3 titles supplied and released.

16. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant New Member

Too bad. Do you know if the poor result is mainly due to mostfun having a small customer base or if it’s because ads in games don’t perform well? If it’s a small customer base it might grow into something worthwhile.

17. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I have no idea regards this, but ad-wrap works well on other formats I use so I suspect the former in this case.

18. defanual

Original Member

My experience with them is their very slow. It's been almost 3 months and nothing. They asked me for a bigger logo upload, I asked which logo they needed and nothing?

Maybe their smoother/faster if your popcap or someone, softwrap use to be like that too:(

19. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Yes the large 'company/business' logo thing was for an internal banner promo I recall? - I sent mine across too and then heard nothing more.

In fact my attempt to contact Maleea there did'nt work until the other day I got a mail from their new Director of Publisher Relations who now handles their client accounts it seems.

I've PM'd you his contact info as he's the new guy there supplying the revenue reports it seems (well my last one at any rate).

Good luck! - I think many will need just that on mostfun.com to make decent revenue from what I've seen to date - maybe it will get better who knows? still early days on this one yet to make a call on it really.

#79 Adrian Cummings, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  20. defanual

Original Member

Thanks for that Adrian, I'll give it a go :)