Most Games Suck

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by soniCron, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abscissa

Original Member

I've gotten in trouble for swearing and personal attacks on here before, but thanks to your post I no longer care: that arrogant bullcrap is more than deserving of a good hardy "Fuck You".

2. HunterSD

Indie Author

I'm 18. Should I be banned from posting?

3. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think you're all misunderstanding what was said...

That's not the same as all people 20 or under should not be allowed to post.

4. Stu

Stu
    Original Member

@Nexic Yes, you know tons more about sales of the games you have released. My point was that the study of ALL games is vital. If you aren't doing this in addition to the study of your own then begin now. It is a much bigger piece of the puzzle.

I ask that you keep an open mind about anyone here who isn't sporting a game release on their website. You cannot possibly know, based on that alone, whether they may offer insight in a thread called "Most games suck". Some may have experience that translates well to game development. The making of games is not an extraordinary business model. A person can learn a great deal from other similar endeavors.

Lastly, I salute you. I did not know you were 18 years old. I was not doing as well as you, creatively speaking, when I was that age which was half a lifetime ago. ;)

5. Abscissa

Original Member

Therefore it has nothing at all to do with being 20, still rendering Omega's comment out-of-line.

6. Black Hydra

Original Member

Omega - I couldn't find your homepage? Sorry, I've seen you post here but I haven't heard about what games you've made. I usually check the links of people under their title when so I can see if I recognize any of their games, you make the assertion you have a lot of game dev experience so I'd like to see what you've made :D .

I think there is WAY too much resentment from the veterans towards the newbies here.

I must agree that this thread is turning into a rant without some constructive focus, however, having an open-mind is key to success. Instead of resenting his comments when he says all games suck, try to look at why he said them?

Far too often I hear this hypocritical crap about how hard it is to succeed but nobody is willing to change their opinions about anything. I'm not saying I know how to succeed. Success is hard, but if you aren't willing to actually listen to ideas people put forward then how can you change? I'm saying that I DON'T know how to succeed!!! Unfortunately, there are far too many people here who already think they know everything (that means everyone...) sometime admitting you know nothing is really beneficial :rolleyes:

I can appreciate both sides of this arguement, but I think being able to understand why somebody else believes something is more important than whether or not you agree with his opinion.

And, yes Omega, I agree with all your points about how reviewers aren't normally so vague with their assertions and they provide information to the public, not the other movie developers. Really, I think this thread loses focus without having constructive ways to improve:

So, rather than (both sides of this arguement here!) argue over whether or not Dan's points were valid ones, why don't we look at what can be constructively gained from this:

If most games suck? What are we doing wrong, and how can we improve them?

All this pointless arguing is wasting dev time. Lets either change this thread into a constructive one or just stop posting. Thats all I have to say.

7. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Topic wandering..... conversation deteriorating....

The sad reality of this thread is that everyone can agree that 90% of just about anything sucks. But if you take the converse... how to make things not suck you would get very little agreement as everyones definition of what doesn't suck is a little different. In short, people come together with far greater cohesiveness to complain then they do to be constructive.

*click*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.