more silly copy protection kerfluffle

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by papillon, Sep 21, 2004.

1. EpicBoy

Original Member

In a perfect world, that's how it would work. However, we don't live there.

If you have any ideas, feel free to forward them to the big name publishers... I'm sure they'd love to reduce the loads on their support lines.

2. papillon

Indie Author

... so instead they merely annoy us to the point that we stop buying retail PC games, and then they whine that the PC market sucks and release games on console only. :)

Did you see the bit on the Sims2 board where someone explained that he had returned the product because it wouldn't run on his machine with his burner and this was really upsetting and the mod yelled at him that if he had returned the product he was no longer a customer so they were going to ban him from the boards?

Yeah, I really want to be your customer now.

15 minutes to properly copy, burn, and verify a four-cd game? You must have a much beefier machine than I do. And it *still*, exactly as I said before, leaves the possibility of loaning the discs to Jim who can then no-CD-crack the install, which is a heck of a lot less trouble anyway.

#22 papillon, Sep 22, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  3. EpicBoy

Original Member

You're right, burners are no threat at all and pose no problems in the realm of piracy.

My bad.

Carry on!

4. papillon

Indie Author

... and I said that when?

I said there was an order of magnitude in difference between being able to easily email a copy of a downloadable 10MB game to every person on your mailing list and being able to slowly burn one copy for one friend.

Obviously ANY method of transferring data offers the possibility for transferring data that you are not supposed to. A floppy drive, a net connection, a PAIR OF HANDS to carry the discs. Some people are desperately trying to find ways of disabling the printscreen button to keep people from 'stealing' the graphics from their game.

5. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Well I have a hunch that a bit of piracy actually gives your game momentum and may even generate more sales overall. Particularly for the little guy, exposure is more important than anything.

But annoying legitimate customers is never good.

So in my case I do live in that perfect world, because I have no intention of annoying legitimate customers with intrusive copy protection. For any reason. But hey, everyone is free to do their own thing.

6. Sunshine

Original Member

Uhhh.. They already did.

And once the average person can copy DVD's,
    Then it's on to the next format! :p

Hey, I love the challange and....oh wait he already said that :p

7. Nemesis

Original Member

Oh well.. what's the big fuss about The Sims 2.. if you can't play it you can always live a *real* life for a change... :)

Seriously.. it's the Sim 2 publishers that are going to suffer really with such a lobotomised-brain move!

8. EpicBoy

Original Member

Again, Sims2 isn't the first game to do this.

9. Cunning Plan

Original Member

The copy protection system employed by Sims 2 will be the same as used on other games by other publishers.

10. fusionlab

Original Member

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and I'm sure Nero and Roxio's lawyers will be very interested to hear about this protection software's dodgy methods.

As for EA, talk about driving your customers away. In fact this is only going to encourage legitimate, paying customers who can't get their game to work to go and look for a CD crack or a warez version of the game. Absolutely unbelievable.

BWT I believe the copy protection they use is called SafeDisc3.

@Anthony Flack: I agree with your line of thinking.