More logs!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by princec, Dec 16, 2004.

1. princec

Indie Author

While I'm perusing my logs, here's another tidbit.

Long-termers here know that I've bemoaned Alien Flux as being cursed and the game that should not be mentioned etc. something rather like the MacBeth of the Indie world.

Well, I just queried my logs for the first time in ages.

Total successful installs: 10,700
    Total sales since logging began: 108

You know what that means?

It has converted over 1% :) This was my own personal benchmark of success and I've achieved it.

So for all the moaning and helpful suggestions I've had over the last year, Flux has done itself proud. If anyone's got any more helpful suggestions now, it's how to get more eyeballs on my site in the first place! 10k downloads in 15 months is pretty lame.

Thanking you all for your feedback,
    Cas :)

2. z3lda

Original Member

Just notice my previous post was wrong :). Still better then my games.

#2 z3lda, Dec 16, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  3. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Congrats! And even more congrats since I guess the # of installs you have is probably lower than the real figure (people without a connection, that kind of thing).

4. Sillysoft

Indie Author

Any idea as to the number of downloads versus the number of successful installs?

5. princec

Indie Author

Thanks to 'doze, about 70% success rate (and by success, I mean 100% bug free). OS X is far more successful. Again, shame no-one else has any comparable figures.

6. princec

Indie Author

Hm, actually that would lower my conversion rate... but fortunately only a very tiny percentage of users block Flux from sending logs.

7. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Well I guess you could discount a couple of thousand of those installs from people installing Flux at various times to try and help you out. :)

8. princec

Indie Author

Heh. There weren't that many really :) Quite a few helpful testers even ended up buying the game.

9. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, well maybe I exaggerated a little bit ;)
    But I'd guess that it must be somewhere in the region of 500-1000 installs over those 15 months of people who responded when you'd posted about it or it was mentioned as an example in various threads here, or the LWJGL forums, plus probably other places.
    I mean it's been used as an example, much to your chargrin I know, in many topics over that time.

Really!?!! Even after they'd played it! :eek:
    sorry couldn't resist :p

Seriously though, that's really good that you hit your target. To make that figure more meaningful though, it'd be useful to know how many people saw your game during that period, your website views, affliliates, advertising, etc.
    but then I guess I'm not tell you anything you don't already know. ;)

10. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Doh.

Note to self : do not post when you're falling asleep

11. GBGames

Indie Author

So does this mean that posts from Cas will be much more positive and much less gloomy for the next few days? B-)

12. princec

Indie Author

Naw, I'm still good n gloomy. Perhaps when I get some Dudester sales I'll cheer up.

13. Raptisoft

Indie Author

???
    10,000 downloads?

Where are you listing? We got 3x that on the first week Hamsterball was on download.com.

See, your problem isn't your games, it's your visibility.

14. princec

Indie Author

The game doesn't necessarily appeal to many people just because it looks too freaky. So quite a few people don't even want to download it just by looking at the screenies. I expect.

It was listed here there and everywhere for a bit. We used to get a fair amount of fairly poor quality traffic from download.com. We tried a few affiliates but they got even tinier fractions of downloads than we did - a few hundred downloads in total. I still owe my affiliates a few bucks (literally, only a few - it's beer money) but I'm going to try and rekindle their interests again now we've launched another game.

We're not going to push advertising until we've got at least 4 games. I just don't see that it's worth it without plenty of opportunity for visitors to find something they want to play.

15. Raptisoft

Indie Author

You need a game called "English Breakfast."

I'd download that sucker.

16. Andy

Original Member

Cas,

These are good digits and I agree with Raptisoft - your downloads are pretty low. Yes, you will loose your good convertion rate but get much more orders.

I don't think that could be the reason in screenshots - peoples are downloading easily. Publish them some false cracks or something (let them false crack twenty percents of levels ;) ) - I suppose that could help a lot.

And yes, it would be much easier and more effictive with 3-4 games.

So, just good luck!

17. ErikH2000

Original Member

Hmm. On puppygames, I have a hard time grokking the screenshots, because they seem pretty small. I can't make out what some of the objects are. This is coming from somebody who hasn't played the game. (I just don't care for shoot-em-ups in general--they make me tense when I want to relax) If I remember right, you've got some ungodly amount of bandwidth at your disposal and your server is plenty fast, so why not up the screenshot size to 400 x 300 or something like that? I think it may be important for your screenshots, because you have many small objects on the screen.

Good luck with Alien Flux! It sounds like maybe you are close to making a breakthrough in sales. Aw, I shouldn't say that--might jinx you. And what do I know anyway? :)

-Erik