more ebay auctions. is this legit?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by cliffski, Apr 30, 2007.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

<link removed>

because it doesnt seem it to me. Anyone with a game on there who knows?

#1 cliffski, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. Pyabo

Original Member

Not a chance....

Take 'em down, Cliffski! :)

3. cliffski

numbers: (for ease of reporting)

<numbers removed>

I've run out of enthusiasm now. Why the hell aren't yahoo and popcap etc slamming ebay over this crap?

#3 cliffski, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  4. Bad Sector

Original Member

That's a nice question to ask them once you mean any of their representatives in a GDC or whatever...

5. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Perhaps either A, they don't realise it's going on, or B, they don't consider it a profitable investment of their time and resources to do anything about it.

6. cliffski

Well I guess thats up to them. The guy didn't pirate my games, so at this point, I'm past caring. I also reported 4 rapidshare links to peggle this morning. I won't bother anymore.
    It's not *me* losing money.

7. LilGames

LilGames New Member

Interesting, says they are in Australia but their account is registered as being in NC, USA.

8. Skinflint

Original Member

I went and reported it.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/downloadable.html
    (at the bottom of the page)

It doesn't take long, and I encourage people to stick together and help take auctions like this down. Thanks for reporting it Cliffski.

(I liked being a Paladin when I played D&D...can you tell?)

9. MrQ

MrQ New Member

It's still there. You know, It wouldn't suprise me if it was someone from these boards or in the indiescene doing this.

10. cliffski

Sorry, this store has been closed.

Obviously not legit then. Although ebay will do absolutely sod all to stop him opening a new account tommorow, and relisting it all.

11. LilGames

LilGames New Member

That account had been operating since JULY 2006!

12. bignobody

Indie Author

Sounds like a confession to me!

/jk :D

13. Sharpfish

Original Member

Well done (again)... looks like we all need to club together and buy you some kind of super-hero outfit/cape/mask so you can take on these idiots incognito. ;)

14. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

It's a shame ebay can't "secret ban" people. Ban them in such a way that they see they're auctions and accounts as existing, but nobody else does. :D

15. Sharpfish

Original Member

Brilliant :)

That would work cos they would just think there was "no market" for their dirty software and give up. Or at least wouldn't be "tipped off" that it's time they set up yet ANOTHER new identity/store.

Seriously, something has to give with this blatant Ebay software piracy thing soon.

16. cliffski

the trouble is, if they were actually legit, they would have their business screwed and never know why. The thing is, these people have paypal accounts. Ebay own paypal. They have the bank details and home addresses of these counterfeiters. Quite why they arent required to inform the police is beyond me. Only a stiff fine or jail time will put a stop to it.
    What it needs is some big company with lawyers to prosecute ebay very publically for not handing information on known counterfeiters to the authorities.

17. Bad Sector

Original Member

You said by yourself: they own paypal. They get money from transactions done via paypal. They gain money from these actions.

18. barrygamer

Original Member

Just reported a blatant pirate on UK ebay site... has sold plenty this week (easy to find...). I reported to the publisher though, they can deal with it as they wish. Maybe they don't care, of course (?).
    Does seem amazing that people can pull off such scams right under the noses of ebay/paypal.

19. papillon

Indie Author

20. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Responders loved the guys service...

Honestly I felt the same as Cliffski did when I took Cyberdreams to court about 10 years ago. They owed me four years of royalties. I spent a grand or two on an inexpensive lawyer (a friend), got a settlement for 56K and then they promptly went out of business...

I agree that this stuff is a huge pain in the butt. Because anybody and their pooch can open one of these things the only way to fix this is to find a way to hurt eBay for not cleaning up their act.

Tom B. - you out there? Is there any kind of legal remedy here against eBay? They are more or less sanctioning this and, pretty clearly, just not dealing with something that is a PITA for them. The only way to deal with a corporation like this is to make them feel our pain because they clearly aren't interested in fixing the problem on their own.