Monster collecting MMORPG idea - Don't know where to start

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by JappaWakka, May 21, 2016.

1. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

Dear Community,

I just registered myself on this forum, because I need some help/advice.
    There is this line of games that I have fond memories of from my childhood. You might've heared of it. It's called Pokémon :p When I play a few of the games these days however, every game feels like "just another Pokémon game". I don't care about my character anymore, I don't care about the world inside the game. I just feel like I'm playing a game that can be completed and not like I'm going on an adventure to unknown places.

Then I remembered MonsterMMORPG, a browser based Pokémon clone with over 2000 new monsters and similar gameplay to Pokémon. I contacted the admin, chatted for a few weeks and at one point I thought "I want to recreate this game. I want to help the guy by remaking his engine in Game Maker Studio and add all kinds of features that he didn't have time for to implement into his game.".
    And that's when the plans came to a halt. Not because I couldn't create the game, but because he didn't want me to practically take over the entire game because he didn't know me in real life.

So here I am. I made a base engine which includes a login mechanic (linked to a mysql database), movement and animation, map layers and NPCs that walk around within an area. I am able to create lots of more features, but I simply don't know where to start.

I don't want to use those Pokémon style/sized tiles that you can find on deviantart. I also don't want to use any of the maps that have already been made. I can probably create some tiles myself, I can create characters and overworlds, creature art maybe, but I don't have the capabilities yet to make up an entire world with lore, looks and layout. So I'm looking for some folks that like the idea and wat to discuss about (and maybe create) this game. I know that it's bloody hard to create a MMORPG, but I see it as a challenge more than an obstacle.

Hopefully somebody would like to support me with this project.

2. cpt_caps

cpt_caps New Member

hey there, we read your posting about your GMS-project.
    we are currently looking for someone to create an adventure-engine inside GMS.
    much like Oddworld "Abe's Odyssee" (a hybrid between platformer and puzzle/stealth adventure game).
    with a non-pysics - animation based movement on a grid (just like in Oddworld)
    thus we are a small indie team in germany we still can pay a fair budget to develop a
    well documented prototype engine inside GMS.
    if youre interested, msg me here or : superpaul@fastmail.fm