Monkey

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by joe, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mwtb

Original Member

I'm hoping that he'll change his mind about this, or at least explain at some point what his concerns are. I'm sure that a lot of people would find it a limitation too far.

2. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I never actually used render to texture for my last 7 games so I'm not convinced I need it, but sure it might be nice to have for certain effects.

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You haven't done any image compositing with pixmaps? Its pretty much the same thing. Generally too slow for realtime use but would be much quicker if you could render to texture properly.

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah I've never needed to pixmap compositing, although I did want to for a couple of special effects that I ran out of time to add.

#104 Grey Alien, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  5. mwtb

Original Member

You can turn this around as even if the compositing itself is slow as long as your image rendering is fast (and if it isn't you're probably stuffed for pretty and quick anyway) it is still a route to improved performance with potentially higher visual impact. I come from a background in very low-powered devices where spending time up front rendering static layers that could then be stamped to the screen on update often made all the difference.

I can see how the feature might just be a nice-to-have if you're writing fairly static games for full-powered desktops but it's a tool I'd like to have in the box when looking at weedy phones and HTML5 on netbooks etc.

By the way, I now have this working on HTML5, Flash, GLFW and the Android targets (although the GLFW version currently does a horizontal flip for some reason). I can't test iPhone or XNA so I haven't looked at them, but there's no reason for me to suppose that they couldn't do it too.

6. therevillsgames

therevillsgames New Member

Do you mean in Monkey itself? If so could you share your code? :)

7. mwtb

Original Member

Unfortunately, I can't. My code essentially re-uses the mojo graphics code and restructures it. The mojo license doesn't allow me to redistribute and mojo is really the product being sold, so I'm not going to tread on it. I'll send an email to Mr. Sibly at some point and ask him how he feels about it. Anyone who is half-competent at graphics coding could reverse engineer the interface but I'd much rather that he take it and make it part of the product.

8. JGOware

Indie Author

"I think my plan to adopt Monkey early on has somewhat backfired. Oh well." Me too... I was all primed to jump on this bandwagon, but ever so slowly did I realize it's just not ready, and it won't be for a while. I hope it doesn't go the way of Max 3d. I hope Mark sticks with it and makes it the language we all want it to be. But for now....there are other more stable options.

9. therevillsgames

Thats cool... I thought it might be that.

I reckon soonish someone will be releasing a 3rd party graphics lib, its bound to happen.

I doubt it, there are now over 200 registered users over on monkey.co.nz - and Mark is releasing updates about every one or two weeks.

10. JGOware

Indie Author

200 is simply not enough to build a stable company on. Fingers are crossed he can pull this off....long term.

11. Grey Alien

Indie Author

200 isn't very many, I'm surprised as I thought the uptake would be more than that by now. Unless that's just forum users and not paid up users of the software.

12. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

It's been out for only a month, and I am sure that there is a lot of "late adopters". I wouldn't buy it yet if I wasn't obligated to create iOS port of Avalon Legends Solitaire. Then, 200 is just registered users, there is no obligation to register.

Also, a lot of people say Monkey is not ready yet. It's hard for me to say, but while converting ALS from BlitzMax to Monkey isn't as fast as I hoped it would be, it's not that hard too. And the game works. There are some issues, but once you learn the way to fix them with Monkey you're set. I just hope that once we finish the game there won't show up some issues we don't see at current stage... and that if there are any known at the moment they will be fixed by the time we finish the game.

13. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You can't even register on the forum if you haven't bought monkey. So the user base should be fairly indicative of sales.

People are using Monkey for stuff, but its not for me yet, and probably not for a long time. Too many gotchas/WTF moments.

14. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

How do you guys know there are 200 registered users on Monkey Forums? I thought there is some kind of users count on the forums, but can't see it. Is that just a random guess based on the number of posting users?

15. mwtb

Original Member

The user id numbers are allocated sequentially and each user has a profile page which takes the id as an input: showuser.php?id=xxx. So, you can just change the number and see where it starts throwing up an error page instead of a profile. Currently that's at the 222nd user.

16. therevillsgames

Mwtb is correct... just change the id at the end of the URL:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Account/showuser.php?id=223

Im about a week away from releasing Pirate Solitaire on Android using Monkey, then just need to sign up to the iOS dev program and test it on there for the iPod and iPad (I need to put my PC graphics back into the game for the iPad version so it might take a tiny bit more time...)

Over 200 users which most have paid the $120 (I say most, because I guess the beta time didnt pay or got a discount or something)... so thats $24,000 in one month and thats just for Monkey... I guess BlitzMax/Blitz3D are still selling too ;) Once some quality games are released showing off what Monkey can do, I guess would help with sales too...

I couldnt use GLBasic, I like OO too much :p

17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@therevillsgames: Do you have any idea roughly how many hours it's taken to convert your game from BMax to monkey? I know your game used my framework for PS, so what did you do with those framework elements? Recode from scratch or port? I ask because I'd love a copy of the result if possible :) plus I'm interested in how long it took - I'm guessing you encountered and overcame a lot of issues too which hopefully you solved with community help, and have ended up with a nice reusable framework? I'm still trying to get BMax issues fixed (see other thread), but will move onto monkey pretty soon.

18. Cartman

Indie Author

So far, converting your framwork has been relatively easy. It's just a matter of finding the equivalent of most of the commands in Monkey, or finding a workaround. I've gotten the Sprite, Button, Menu, Screen and most of the Game classes already converted over. I'm not worrying about Sound, File I/O, and other things(Particles, HighScore tables, etc) until later. My only constraint is getting enough free time to work on this.

19. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Cool, sounds great! Yeah there's a lot of stuff in there which is rarely used for sure, sometimes I've only used it for one game.

20. therevillsgames

Ive started a mini-framework loosely around GAF with Samah, called it "Diddy" and its open-source :D - http://code.google.com/p/diddy/

Well Monkey was released to the public on the 1st of March, and I messed around with the little examples trying the basic game genres (Space invaders, pong, platformer etc)... which took around 2-4 weeks off and on (I work full time too)... so I guess PS has taken around 3-4 weeks, about an hour or two an evening and more on the weekends. So that would be around 70 hours... Ive had some major headaches with Monkey with music etc, which took awhile to find it was a bug with Mojo.

#120 therevillsgames, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011