Monetizing free non-Flash web games

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ManuelFLara, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I'm developing a title which I think can appeal to a broad marked and I'm doing it in Unity, so it can (and will be) played from a web browser. Unity's web player is around 2-3 MBs so I don't think that's a big problem. The game's going to be free to play, but with good production values (it's just not going to have a lot of content, so I don't think it's reasonable to charge to play it).

My question is, which options do I have to monetize it? Premium accounts with more content/options aside (I don't think they fit in the game), I can only think of two:
    a) Submitting it to portals who accept non-Flash games, like Shockwave.com. What other portals like this are around?
    b) Advertising on my own site. That's where I have the most questions. Do people usually place a block of AdSense next to the game and that's it? Which other options are in place? Has someone put ads inside his game? Which ad platform did you work with to achieve that?

Thanks for your time,

2. ragdollsoft

Original Member

Putting a link to your site from the game is a good way to generate traffic. Indeed a unity game will never get viral as much as a flash.

Be careful with putting free online games next to your shareware, I noticed a drop in sales when I did, and the ad revenue didn't make up for it.

3. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Actually I didn't mention that I'm refocusing the whole "business". I'm going to focus on free, high quality, web games and generate revenue based on advertising and licensing instead of shareware sales.

4. cybermonk

Original Member

I tried this with a java game once, and it failed miserably.
    Miniclip told me something along the lines of "nice game, but it should've been in flash". So I switched to flash, and that's working out a lot better for me.

Also, do not place adsense directly next to a game. Google doesn't like it when the player can click an ad by accident while playing.

5. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

About the adSense thing, that's how the guy from Desktop Tower Defense does it, and I've seen it in other games too, so I shouldn't be that bad.

6. cybermonk

Original Member

7. AdamSchroeder

AdamSchroeder New Member

If you wanting to build free online games you can't beat Flash!

Most people will NOT install a plug-in in order to play a simple web game. If you are building an online MMO then you might be able to convince someone to load a plugin or install the latest Java engine but very few people will do this for a simple single player game.

8. swendrich

swendrich New Member

9. mygatenow

mygatenow New Member

I don't think adsense allow you to put their code inside the game you might get banned while doing so the best you can do is to sell license just like a company name "witch hut" a big money can be made while doing so.

10. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've got adsense ads inside my free to play game, Real Estate Empire 3 and I haven't had any problems.

www.RealEstateEmpire.net

If I'm buying games these days it's in bundles which means cost per game is ridiculously low. As an indie. I don't even want to start down that path so I've opted for completely free to play.

11. Soflar

Soflar New Member

Here are some ways which may or may not apply to your situation:

- donations
    - VIP accounts
    - unlocks [parts of the game] (micro transactions)
    - in-game cosmetics [look unique] (micro transactions)
    - pay4power [get stronger] (micro transactions)
    - pay4convenience [more lives, teleport, skip level, ...] (micro transactions)
    - advertising via a partner (like Google)
    - direct advertising (not via a third party)
    - product placement (inside your game)
    - loading screen display ads

One special mention goes out to a technique I've seen used in mobile games a lot, is that you slow down the game pace for free players, goes a bit like this:

- have some kind of currency that need to be used to continue past certain checkpoints in the game
    - you give X of this currency every day, but it allows you to only play like 20 minutes until you're stuck
    - have the option of buying this currency

And there are probably even more :) but I hope this helps!