Moderators here really need to be fired.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Backov, May 30, 2009.

1. Backov

Original Member

So, a little while ago I post a message saying that we should probably install a vBulletin plugin to reject messages with links or images in the first X posts.

I even went to the effort to screen capture what the front page looked like. Here it is again.

http://tamedtornado.com.s3.amazonaw...251858&Signature=u56iQq5HX1y+G/+gOrvhO+92hjE=

That post was deleted. Smart. Especially considering there is STILL spam from the same douchebag in other parts of the forums.

Does the moron that did that want to speak up and tell me why?

2. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

Mods have to sleep too :)

I'm sure one of them will clean it up as soon as one of them has the time.

My teeny weeny forum gets more spam posts than legitimate posts. If anyone has a magic wand to get rid of this, feel free to send it my way. I don't think moderator approval of posts is going to continue working for me as my forum grows.

3. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Why not? It's a picture of the forum after spamming. How does that help anyone? The mods already know there's spam, and more than likely by whom.

When you pay the mods a decent wage, you can fire the mods. Sorry to sound so harsh, but... yeah, saying they need to be fired is el stupido.

4. vjvj

Indie Author

I think Backov's point is that it's a wee bit confusing why effort would be spent deleting a thread about suggestions to remove spam, instead of using that effort to delete the actual spam present on the boards.

Not that I endorse the insults or anything.

5. Maupin

Original Member

And that's a very good point, insults aside.

6. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

I would suggest that any mods here get shot of the massive 'Boob Attack' on here before they worry about all the above perhaps LOL :rolleyes:

Actually come to think of it, that's a great name for a game heh :)

7. Reactor

Really? Perhaps, after deleting some of the spam, the mod deleted the post because they thought it no longer served a purpose. However, they missed the odd bit of spam after having done so.

Or, they had an itchy post deleting finger. Who knows. Let's talk about Adrian's new game.

8. Acord

Acord New Member

Geh. It's almost like you're forced to use some sort of lame captcha system in order to avoid this sort of garbage. The internet seems like such a good idea on paper... ;p

9. zoombapup

Backov: Hmm, I seem to vaguely recall that post. Cant say I know why it was deleted though. If it was in the thread that was started by that spammer, its likely that it got deleted by the pruning process we use to delete mass spams (basically, you can choose to delete all posts/threads started by a spammer).

As for installing the plugin, its because I dont think any moderator has access to do it. The site owner would have to do that (and honestly, I'm not even sure who that is anymore).

I'm just thankful that whoever IS the owner, is still paying for this place, given the cost of the server that it runs on and the fact that it makes them no money or return at all. Bloody nice of em if you ask me. So I forgive a little laxness in the updating department because of that.

Believe me, spam happens a lot and it gets pruned pretty bloody quickly. I dont think any automated system would be that reliable and I'm often amazed at how quickly the rest of us react to spam.

10. Backov

Original Member

Sorry about the insults, I was annoyed.

As for where it was - no, it was a new thread that I started with a non-garbage title. There's no legitimate reason it should have been deleted.

As for the spam, ya - it's relentless. A Captcha wouldn't work (they've got most of them cracked by now, or just use manual labor) but a probation period where any posts with urls or image links get rejected would. I've seen other boards do it and it works well.

I do get the bit about the lack of access though.

The mod was wrong.

11. Reactor

Note the word 'perhaps'. I don't actually know what happened.

As someone who is a guest to this forum (or any forum, for that matter) you can make your case, but when it comes to what posts stay or go, it's their decision. It might be a frustrating decision, but it's not necessarily a decision the moderators are obligated to do anything about, unless the one who owns the forums requests it.

Sorry to have a go at you here, but really, the mods can do what they like.

EDIT: Just to add- that's just forums for you. I've been annoyed many times by silly mod decisions too (if that's what this was) but 'right or wrong' it's just something you have to roll with ;)

12. Backov

Original Member

That's your opinion - and if you're sorry to have a go, why did you bother? Do you think you are educating me? Why not either address the topic, or do something else?

13. Reactor

Yes, yes it is.

I'm about to knock off for the night, but my saying, "sorry to have a go" is another way of saying I wish I didn't have to bring it up. But, I did, because as much as you seem to dislike the idea of being educated about something, people who have dummy spits over forum deletions obviously need to learn something to keep them from flying off the handle over a single deleted post.

Anyway, I'm not looking to start a fight, so... blah blah blah... goodnight.

14. Backov

Original Member

Ok, now that the troll is gone..

Any of you guys have an idea who the current owner might be? I thought it was Svero? The spam appears to be getting worse rather than better, and it would be nice to be able to upgrade the tech.

15. cliffski

svero is the site owner. he pays the bills and thus has last say on all things.
    BTW the mods don't get paid, I assume nobody thinks that we do?

16. Game Producer

svero (somebody) gets spam catcher at some point - and something like akismet. It's been discussed, but not everything happens automatically. the site got recently upgraded to newest vbulletin version and spammy stuff is getting deleted as much as possible. the more people report this stuff, the better.

mods are humans beings. mostly. stuff like this happens.

there are solutions to stop spam:
    1) change forum to invite only
    2) close the site
    3) use things like captcha/akismet
    4) have "link in first X post" removed
    5) change flood control
    and so on.

It'll probably get better at some time.

Meanwhile, keep reporting spam.

17. Acord

Acord New Member

maybe just having a "this is spam" button - if it gets so many clicks, the post is deleted and the user is blocked temporarily. The mods could decide what to do.

It leaves itself open for abuse, but it might be worth a try to see if the community self regulates well or not.

18. Sybixsus

Original Member

You could limit the scope for abuse by moving to a private Moderators-only forum that the rest of us cannot see instead of flat-out deleting it, and by ignoring "this is spam" reports from people with less than x posts. Otherwise, it seems a pretty good idea, although how difficult it would be to integrate into vBulletin, I have no idea.

19. RoadMaster

Original Member

Do we get a vote? because I'd much rather have akismet setup on the server than have the site close ;)

But yea, it seems like spam is getting pretty heavy, at least for today.

Is there a certain amount of automation to the reporting process, or is it just so you guys can index the spams easier? Because when there is 1 spam post on each sub-forum I'm just wondering if it's worth reporting them, as they are all fairly visible.

#19 RoadMaster, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  20. Bad Sector

Original Member

Just ask in the registration form to write one of the moderators' usernames or what is XYZ moderator's signature's last word. A user can do a search and figure this out.

If the SCons wiki is any indication (they require you to write the name of one of the major SCons developers for each edit), this would work.