Mobile Cross Platform Development

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by dbest, Jul 7, 2012.

1. dbest

dbest New Member

I have a game design that I would like to prototype. The game would be (if developed) released for the Android and iPhone mobile devices. I have been reading about the various non-native options and would like to obtain your expert advice. I am sure someone has thought about this earlier and would like to provide their insights.

There are plenty of development kits that claim to have the "build-once deploy-multiple" options. I have noticed GameMaker Studio, Corona SDK, Marmalade, Cocos2d, MoaiSDK, Gamesalad, etc.
    I have a Windows machine and am not shy of coding. I could use a friend's Mac to deploy of the iPhone, if necessary.

What do you think is the better option for me to choose, in terms of ease of usage and costs?

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Is this performance intensive or could it be a web game deployed using something like appMobi?

3. dbest

dbest New Member

It is not performance intensive, so can have a look at appMobi.
    Thanks lennard.

4. samithegreat

samithegreat New Member

If C++ is familiar, you should check out Cocos2D-X. It can be used on windows and programs will work on iOS and Android via NDK.

5. luggage

Marmalade lets you deploy to iOS from a windows machine, you only need a mac for uploading the final build to the appstore.

6. dbest

dbest New Member

Tried cocos2D-x. It looks good, but for a prototype, its a bit too involved.

Marmalade, I need to look at. I have downloaded it via their convoluted process...

7. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

if you are looking at prototyping and the game is not too intensive you could look at an AS3/AIR3 solution, that will give you potentially iOS, Android, Web and PC though performance can be a bit pants. There are plenty of libraries around which could be converted to native code should you wish to push the product forward.

8. alexionne

alexionne New Member

Although there are multi-platform libraries (like cocos2d-x), I'd follow-up Teq's suggestion. Haven't tried it myself, but I saw lot of people using Flash to prototype and/or build Web + PC version of the game. Then they port it to Android/iOS if performances are not adequate.

9. dbest

dbest New Member

That's an interesting option. Didn't consider it, as somehow AS3 didn't attract me much.

10. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

Check out Monkey: monkeycoder.co.nz!

"Exports" to flash/html5/glfw/android/iOS/PSP... and I may be forgetting some targets ^_^

11. lennard

I'm working with a guy to take an AS3 title I have and port it to iOS and Android using AIR. I'll report in when I have a version running on device.

12. Charybdis

Charybdis New Member

I spent ages making my own C++ cross platform game engine. Although I learned a lot, I wouldn't recommend it. Far better to learn a mature system a get stuff done. I would add votes to cocos2d-X and monkey.

13. matibee

Original Member

What else is covered under the "etc"? I'm going down the same route at the moment (although I would like desktop dev in there too.) Stencyl (www.stencyl.com) looks interesting and has android and html5 targets coming.

14. dbest

dbest New Member

Don't remember what else is covered there. I wanted to try AppMobi, but it didn't work for me.

15. Mike Wiering

Original Member

Check out HaxeNME: http://www.haxenme.org

Completely free, compiles to Windows, Mac, Linux, Flash, Android, iOS, webOS, BlackBerry and HTML5.

16. stanchat

Indie Author

You may want to look at the App Game Kit by the makers of DarkBasic. They also give you the ability to go Native an use C++ to customize modules.
    http://www.appgamekit.com/

17. AdrianC

AdrianC New Member

There's also Unity.