MMO Control Scheme Advice?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by bantamcitygames, Jul 11, 2010.

1. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I'm currently creating a 2D MMO with a top-down perspective in which players can shoot other players. I'm looking for advice on the control scheme for shooting and also for other commands.

To move to a location, the player simply clicks that location on the screen or on the mini-map.

For shooting, I currently have it where when the player clicks on another player it pops up a context menu where there are options for shooting, chatting, trading, etc. This is fine for chatting and trading, but for shooting it feels a bit clunky.

I've tried double clicking to shoot and single click for the context menu as well, but it is sometimes hard to double click when the other player you are trying to shoot is moving at a decent pace.

I've also tried single clicking to shoot and right-clicking to bring up the context menu which seems somewhat intuitive, but I didn't know if right-click was standard for Mac games (which I hope to port to when I'm done).

Any advice?

Note: I will have keyboard shortcuts for almost all commands, but at this point I'm concentrating on the mouse interface.

2. tolik

Original Member

3. Nexic

Indie Author

I'd do the right click thing and then just come up with something else for the mac port if/when you do it.

4. bantamcitygames

tolik, thanks for the link... I'll check out a bunch in the same genre and see what rattles out.

Nexic, I thought about that and you are probably right that if it feels right for PC then its good for the PC version and I can always come up with something different for the Mac version if/when I get there.

Any alternatives? feel free to keep 'em coming!

5. vjvj

Indie Author

Isn't the usual workaround for right-click on the Mac Apple key + left click? I know this is how a lot of RTS games work on the Mac.

6. Aldacron

Original Member

You may also want to make it possible to cycle through available targets from nearest to farthest with the Tab key. That has become a bit of a standard, methinks.

7. hippocoder

Indie Author

Have you looked at how RTS games do it? :)

8. cyodine

Original Member

Macs don't have a right click button? Damn. That'll mess up my current game's control scheme for any port.

9. Nexic

Indie Author

They can emulate it with control+click though. I'd guess most mac gamers would be fairly used to it by now.

10. hippocoder

Indie Author

My mac does have right click, macs have used right click for a number of years now.......

Any mouse supports right click. Macs haven't been single click since the dark ages :p

11. bantamcitygames

Thanks for all of the replies!

Its good to know that there is some type of standard for right-click on Mac (although I heard both control-click and apple-click). As long as that's the case I wont worry about it too much now I guess and then I'll just make sure the mac port includes whatever the standard happens to be.

hippocoder - You are right of course that Macs have right-click. Although, my friend who owns a mac (I haven't owned one yet) told me he had to enable the right-click in the 'control panel'. Is this still true? If so, is this something most Mac user do when they get a new computer or only the PC-converts?

As for RTS's, I think the mechanism might be a little different than a single unit MMO. IIRC from my RTS days, you left click to select your unit(s) and then right-click on your target, I think? I think this might be a bit awkward if you need to click on your player first in an MMO before clicking on another player, but one thing that this brings to mind is that I haven't considered right-click for shooting and left click for other things. I'll give it a try and see which feels more intuitive.

As a side note, I took a look at the site tolik provided and didn't find any games in the same genre that had the same visual perspective (top-down) so I may have to go outside of my genre to find something that I can borrow the control scheme from.

I did notice, however, that a lot of MMOs use a combination of keyboard and mouse to move/shoot as opposed to one or the other. If I decide to go with something like this instead of my current mechanism of just clicking where you want to go to move to, I have quite a few game play changes to make, but it may be more fun in the end... and I thought my 'vision' was so clear :rolleyes:

12. hippocoder

Indie Author

No, it's not true. I just plugged in a random spare logitech and its always understood right mouse clicks.

I suspect perhaps he's using an old os or has weird setup? out of the box, the mac is set up for right mouse button.

There is no control panel on macs, but there is "system preferences". In there is "mouse" which if you look in mouse options, there are NO right mouse button options. Thats right, none. Its right mouse button enabled as standard.

Is he using a 5 year old version of tiger or something for PPC or grossly out of date?

13. bantamcitygames

Thanks for clearing that up. It was a mac book with OS X, but thats about as much as I could tell you without giving him a call. It probably was at least 3 or 4 years ago when he bought it and discovered this 'setting'. The only reason I remember at all was because he switched from PC to Mac and was REALLY pissed about not having a right-click and almost sent the whole thing back! :) Glad to hear that its standard functionality though and that we can just keep on using right-click in our games!

EDIT: I did happen across this article as I was googling, but I don't know how reliable this source is: http://www.macgasm.net/2010/02/21/why-apple-doesnt-have-mouse-right-click-enabled-by-default/ Weird...

14. bantamcitygames

I'm on vacation right now and only have limited access to a computer so I will be trying some of the mentioned ideas when I get back and eventually post an update on what I decided.

Thanks all!