MineCraft hits $250,000 per day

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HairyTroll, Sep 23, 2010.

1. HairyTroll

Original Member

2. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I admit, I'm addicted to building my house (and underground system of caverns) :D I love this line in the article.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

/polemic rant mode

Hmm! I wonder what magic PR/Marketing trick he used! because clearly in 2010 making a good game and word of mouth doesn't work anymore :rolleyes:

4. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

It's a bit like Daggerfall and Stunts, those two were totally amazing games, so Minecraft is probably not just a matter of PR and Marketing.

5. Escapee

Original Member

Simply amazing....:eek:
    Minecraft is currently at the front page of Reddit, this can only means more traffic and sales.

6. Reactor

7. vjvj

Indie Author

From here... Interesting stuff!

8. richtaur

Indie Author

$250,000/day?? Mind = blown.

9. meds

meds New Member

Good for him :)

He's on a good roll, hopefully the investments he makes with the money will pay off as well.

10. Yshaana

Yshaana Guest

When video games go viral... Wow! Impressive feat for a cool game. I am still a bit surprised considering that the game is quite... ugly, but it is a very fun game.

11. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

12. indy

indy New Member

Hmm, not much mention that the game is a Java Applet, could be the reason for its success :)

#12 indy, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I'd like to hear tolik's opinion on this :D
    (if you remember his rants about the fact that you MUST use flash, you'll see what I mean)

My half-joking point was that I still think the most important thing is make a good/original/whatever game. If you don't have that nobody will talk about you (TF2 blog plug) and nobody will find your youtube videos interesting.

14. defanual

Original Member

Great stuff!

Always great to see indie success stories. The acceleration of this thing is amazing. Looks like a sandbox-multiplayer-meta-sharing-social game without the farming-facebook stuff (at least that's what I fathom brief overview), a very good combination.

I think that's the 2nd or 3rd dev I've seen sharing real-time sales like this, very interesting (and handy) trend. Hopefully this inspires the troops.

Yeah, but Java's been proven already (so I don't know why we have Flash, Java, Unity etc debates still) with the likes of Runescape to add to the list which turns over millys yearly, this has all the makings of doing similar if not better at it's crazy growth.

As long as the tech and it's execution / adoption works, it really doesn't matter what platform you choose in terms of player volume.

15. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Not wanting to P on anyone's bonfire or anything. But this is basically the same kind of thing as Blockland. Which was also immensely popular. Only I think the author of blockland maybe isnt quite as concentrated on one project (although there's tons of random stuff in there too).

Fact is, this whole "its making loads of money" thing is cyclic. Its making press because its making loads of money, its making loads of money because its got loads of press".

Wonder if someone who WASNT making loads of money released sales stats that lied and said they were, would that generate enough press to generate them? Interesting concept :)

16. Reactor

The system requirements for the game are a bit of a downer. It runs smooth for me, but it sure makes my graphics card hot.

17. barrygamer

Original Member

Its a great success story. But, of course, its an outlier on the graph of indie success… :eek:

The fact its been in permanent 'alpha' is interesting. Imagine if he'd kept it under wraps, it would probably be a very different game. The forum/user involvement is amazing.

@zoombapup - I like your thinking :)

18. princec

Indie Author

I've berated Markus about this before, but he's running the game flat out instead of rate-capping it to 60fps, which is why it gets so hot.

Cas :)

19. HairyTroll

Original Member

I think there is an option to limit the frame rate in the options screen.

20. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I'll say the same thing here that I said to notch on twitter... holy f*!!