Microsoft unveils new Surface computer

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by stanchat, May 30, 2007.

1. Bad Sector

Original Member

Apple's iPhone

2. GBGames

Indie Author

Actually, in the video, they showed what I assume was a picture puzzle. You have a bunch of glass pieces, and the video shows up underneath. You had to match the pieces in the right order.

But yeah, miniatures on digital terrain would be awesome! It would probably help bring table-top RPGs a bit of popularity by combining the ease of computing (no need to figure out all the bonuses and penalties in your head) with real-life role-playing that is so difficult to get from computer games.

The Settlers of Catan would be great fun, especially when you can play the game without having to worry about the setup and cleanup.

3. impossible

Original Member

An iPhone doesn't have the same form factor or processing power, its like comparing a desktop PC to a cellphone... Sure its multi-touch, but the similarities end there.

Entertaible definitely fits the bill and I remember hearing about it a while back. Its not commercially available though. The reactable is also really cool and fits the bill, but you can't purchase one off the self (software is free so in theory you could build your own.)

Looks like my point still stands, there is no commercially available device like this (no... iPhone does NOT count Bad Sector :)). Reason to be excited, I will finally be able to buy a crazy computer table instead of just looking at pictures and videos of them.