Microsoft Silverlight

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Mashew, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

it's a compact version of the framework that's embedded in the silverlight client, and like the flash client.. it's a 1 time download. Once it's on the clients machine it doesn't need to be downloaded again.

2. princec

Indie Author

Aye, but remember how many people had some sort of issue with having to download and install a Java runtime... problem isn't just going to magically go away...

Cas :)

3. Bad Sector

Original Member

...unless Microsoft does the shady thing and forces it to users via autoupdate :p

4. ZeHa

Original Member

Wouldn't be too bad... if I were Microsoft, I'd also do this way to give the .NET framework to everybody. Because at the moment, I doubt that everyone has .NET framework installed (and I don't believe the statistics on the Microsoft website), and this keeps me from developing applications in .NET ;)

Silverlight is a little smaller, of course, but also, I wouldn't mind if they'd distribute it automatically via auto-update. They could actually split it up into small parts, so that in a few days or weeks every machine with auto-update is Silverlight-ready. This would only support usage of it.

5. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

What is the business model for a game in Silverlight? Can players download it to their computers or only play online. If it's online only then it'd have be to part of a subscription service. I certainly wouldn't pay $20 for a game that I cannot have a personal copy of.

6. MrPhil

Original Member

What is Silverlight, really?

The real challenge here (in a business model sense) is that technologies like SilverLight, Apollo, JavaFX and services like Steam, are blurring the boundaries between shareware, downloaded software, retail box software and web/online software.

Some people actually like Steam because it acts like a digital locker and they don't have to worry about losing CDs and CD keys. So I think it is helpful to imagine new expectations and views of software. The old categories are fading and new ones are developing.

7. MrPhil

Original Member

MIX07: Extending the Browser Programming Model with Silverlight
    Meaning your app can access its saved data on a machine regardless of which browser it is opened with.

8. laxmid

laxmid New Member

9. MrPhil

Original Member

#29 MrPhil, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  10. Xiotex

Original Member

It has a licence page and a 9.7Mb download (I am on a Mac)... it's more Microsoft bloatware. I think they could do with learning from the Flash installation experience.

I will be looking into it though as a viable Flash alternative.

11. Xiotex

Original Member

Does look VERY nice though - and given that it is via Visual Studio we already know the tools rock.

12. MrPhil

Original Member

Could you give more information? Which version did you install 1.0 or 1.1 Alpha?

I installed on Windows and 1.0 was 1.37 MB. The 1.1 Alpha Refresh was 4.50 MB.

License agreements are ubiquitous on the web now, so I think it is expected by users.

If the Mac version really is that big for the user then its a big barrier, but still seems manageable.

13. MrPhil

Original Member

Well MS very cleverly got millions of people to install SilverLight in the last 48 hours:
    - September 23rd Links: VS, ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Silverlight, WPF

This explains the early bare bones 1.0 release which focuses on media functionality.

14. Xiotex

Original Member

I just followed the links and got the latest osx version